• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Is this the Foodarama Scotch Bonnet?

Found these at Kroger this morning. It makes me kind of mad for them to pick C. chinense so green, but then, at least they were there at all:

P4260001.jpg

P4260004.jpg

Are you sure that its even a C. chinense. Its hard to tell from the pic but many of these mushroom shaped pods are actually annuums. Any chance of pic of the top, where the stem meats the chile

Are you sure that its even a C. chinense. Its hard to tell from the pic but many of these mushroom shaped pods are actually annuums. Any chance of pic of the top, where the stem meats the chile

Kinda looks like a Bishops Crown

Thanks guys! I just tasted one, and it's not like any C. chinense I ever had: Nice bite, I'm guessing around 50,000 SHU, but almost no flavor. The seed bed looks like C. annuum to me:

51223358.jpg

Here's a couple pix of the tops of 2 different pods, Potawie:

25663328.jpg

42651472.jpg

I knew I should have included that as soon as I posted. It is pretty hot but not overpowering and great flavor. That seed ball looks very much like mine too. I am growing Foodorama's this year and I am looking forward to them.

Mike

I knew I should have included that as soon as I posted. It is pretty hot but not overpowering and great flavor. That seed ball looks very much like mine too. I am growing Foodorama's this year and I am looking forward to them.

Mike

Cool, thanks! I guess these particular pods don't have much flavor because they are so immature. Maybe I'll save some seeds from them.

I look forward to seeing how your Foodarama chiles come out. This season I'm growing Peppermania Beth's "Jamaican Scotch Bonnet," for the first time. I thought I would start with that as a reference, and move onto the Foodarama next season.

They could also be a squash or mushroom pepper as JR said or even pa353, they are all very similar

Potawie's 2005 pa353 red
26904706807de6075cefjw6.jpg

Cool, Potawie! Thanks! So how do like these particular C. annuums? I've been moving away from that species, but I don't want to miss anything interesting.

I haven't grown them in years but I really liked them. Great looks with good flavor and ok heat. I made some excellent smoked chile powders several years back and I hope to do so again someday

Back