• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Isolating for True Seed...

What are some of the methods that you folks use to insure that you get seed from a plant that is true and not hybridized?

I'm growing several varieties and want to make sure (at some point) that I can harvest some pods for true seeds.

I take the plant in, pinch all the flowers and let it flower all over again inside... isolated...

FiveSix said:
Am I the only one who glues the flower shut right before it's about to bloom?

Hi Five six,
I've heard of that technique, how successful is it, any tips or pics I wouldn't mind trying it???

The glue method is very fidly and a bit cumbersome with some of the smaller flowered variety's,teabag method is much quicker and much easier to do and personally had a great deal of Success :)

talas said:
The glue method is very fidly and a bit cumbersome with some of the smaller flowered variety's,teabag method is much quicker and much easier to do and personally had a great deal of Success :)

Thanks Talas,
I've covered the whole plant with the same sort of material as the tea bag, but I will try the tea bag this season, how do you go about attaching it over the flower, any pics?

Ive used wool and string just make sure you have them just be gentle..Have severed a few odf,find wool to be just about right and you can add a card or tag with all the information,the white garden mesh(fine) that you find in garden centers is great to and cheap and works just as well.:)

I tried super glue but it burned the flowers then I tried elmers carpenter's glue and it's been working great! then I just label it. Super glue might work, but make sure it's not the locktite brand, it has something that burns skin, I'm thinking of trying the Liquid Bandage that's meant for human skin I think that would be the best bet. Every Flower I've glued took. If your flower opens I don't care how careful you are just increasing the odds, but if the flowers open there's always a way. ALWAYS.

I have heard to use PVA wood glue. I would think as its water based, waterproof and it also dries clear. its normally a thick consistency so you should be able to blob it on your finger and just dab the closed petals.

Chris

Back