• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Isolating plant / branches to keep seed strain pure

When flower buds first appear I cover with tulle fabric to keep away pollinating critters. Then self pollination occurs naturally or through our help with paintbrushes or vibration the plant with things such as electric toothbrushes. Many threads regarding this.

Just before flowers open, bring potted plants inside in front of a sunny window away from pollinating bees until pods form, then label these pods as pure, and return plant to its prefered outdoor environment

Hello and :welcome: from Oregon, Barley-pop.

I'd keep going on with questions being a novice but I don't want to get overwhelmed. At times I feel like my brain has turned into swiss cheese so you guys are going to have to use the KIS (keep it simple) theory with me.
You're right - there is a lot to absorb on this site! Have fun :)

Hi ya Mike!

Here's how I isolated an entire plant last year. I built a frame out of 1x2 cedar strips then stapled tulle to it. Left the bottom open so I could get to the plant.

DSC003071024x768.jpg

It's a real fine mesh and keeps most critters at bay.

Here's how I did a single branch.

DSC004901280x960.jpg

For branches I basically sew a sac together leaving one end open. If you leave about a foot of thread on each end you can bag the branch and then pull the threads together like a drawstring. Tie them off together and done.

Since you're keeping most of the polinators away you have to give the plant an assist. For the branch I just shook it gently on a daily basis as long as the flowers were open. For the plant that was boxed in I just slid the frame up to the pot and with a few light kicks on the frame the entire plant would vibrate. Got lots of pods off of both.

Yep Patrick is the man who taught me about it. He has it down pat. Anyone else curious why this is in GLOGS???

Down pat, good one. Did you use this last season?

Probably here because Barley-pop57 is new. Maybe a kind and gentle mod will stop by and chase it into the Growing Peppers Forum.

Hi BarleyPop,
I have never isolated anything myself,
But I have to say, that Potawie's advice is the most simple but genious plan I have seen posted on this subject!

Kevin

Did you use this last season?
Yes although I modified the setup somewhat with some elastic string around the top of the buckets. This year I will be doing it again and continuing my experimentation into whether red or blue reflecting that color makes a difference.
100_0987.jpg

100_0972.jpg

All those ideas look pretty good. " Nylon Hosiery " (stockings) works out well also. The material is tight knit even when stretched over a branch it keeps other fine pollen from being blown in.

Greg

Thanks guys, It's a start and a step in right direction. I appreciate the help and input--Pic 1, Just a Guy, Wayright, Potawie, Paul G and Patrick.

Mike

If I accidently posted in wrong forum I apologize. I entered the "Grow Peppers" forum and it gave me 2 options, with the 1st saying non-chili's--so I took option 2. Now you guys might understand my swiss cheese comment. Anyway LOL and thanks again...Mike

No worries Barley we all have done it when new....and really drunk.

I haven't seen a MOD post in a good while come to think of it Patrick

Well I started trying germinating seeds today. Went from 4 possibles to 9 different kinds. Don't have a camera so it maybe awhile before any pics (need to learn how to do that also..lol).

Anyway here's the 9:

Butch T
White Habanero
Fatalli
Brain Strain
SB7J
PI653748 Chineese
Tepin--going to try to over winter
Armageddon
Dami Sali

Well that's it. I got my fingers crossed and hope I start out good for 1st time from scratch. PS: I think now this post is in right forum..lol

Thanks everyone will post progress & hopefully some pics eventually...Mike

Well here's an update on my plants. 1st- I do not have a camera for pics. 2nd - I do not how to upload pics. Enough of that--now for my plants.

I managed to kill off all of the ones on my list in round one.

Round two, I got 5 of a dozen to sprout and were going good until I panicked when I saw bug holes in a couple of leaves--so I put Sevin on it to take care of bugs. I stressed them out to much and they died.

Round three, tried around 5 seeds--let them sit 6 weeks if not more---Nothing!!!

GOOD NEWS now with the help of my friend Patrick and Corene1 I have plants. Patrick has family here in IA and on a visit he stopped by and gave me 3 plants, a Scotch Bonnet, a 7-Pot and a Doughlah and ALL are doing WELL!!!!
Corene1, well she was nice enough to send me 4 for the cost of shipping from CA. She did an excellent job in packaging and on everything. Did my best to be square with her with xtra money for the plants themselves---I still came out great. Rec'd 2 each of Butch T's and TS's. They too are doing well but not as big as the ones from Patrick. There is a TS that is not quite as green as the other and bugs have eaten some leaves on it. I sprayed all the plants with dishsoap & water---seemed to help.

All are in 5 gallon buckets with rocks on bottem and holes drilled in sides about an 1-1/2" up from bottem. I used 4 bags of MG, 2 bags of top soil, a package of worm casings and also some bone meal. I mixed it all up with perelite and a few egg shells. I have been told that throwing broken egg shells around plant will help keep slugs away. I water heavy 1 time a week and a good sprucing 1-2 times a week depending on weather and how soil looks along with plants.

So far so good, the one TS is hanging in there as I try to nurse it back to get like the others. Just waiting to pick peppers and get a jump on next year's attempt from seed again. Also a very heartfelt thank you to all my friends that have fixed me up with seeds for next year's project---hopefully I will have mastered germinating seeds.

Well that's it for now.......Mike

Allright, Barley! You are on the way now! Good luck with your new plants; hope you get lots of pods!

if you want to send me an SASBE (see the thread in the marketplace - seeds subforum) I'll hook you up with some seeds... I'll send things I have bunches of, so that way if scores die while you're learning its no big deal... I have maybe a half pound of Orange hab seed drying at the moment - cayenne a plenty as well.

Any way PM me if you are interested.

Ken

You gotta figure out the picture thing! Cheapo digi camera can be found for next to nothing, or you can take pics with your phone. Upload them to photobucket and then just rt click and copy there and rt click and paste in your updates! You'll get a ton more passers by to read and offer input that way. Plus, when you have issues (not if, we all get issues) its nice to be able to post a pic of what you got going on so you can get quality feedback!

That Patrick is a good guy huh? Nice little trio of plants he gave you! Next time maybe he'll bring you some tarantulas!

Looking forward to more updates my friend!
Shane

You gotta figure out the picture thing! Cheapo digi camera can be found for next to nothing, or you can take pics with your phone. Upload them to photobucket and then just rt click and copy there and rt click and paste in your updates! You'll get a ton more passers by to read and offer input that way. Plus, when you have issues (not if, we all get issues) its nice to be able to post a pic of what you got going on so you can get quality feedback!

That Patrick is a good guy huh? Nice little trio of plants he gave you! Next time maybe he'll bring you some tarantulas!

Looking forward to more updates my friend!
Shane
Your right but have other situations to take care of before camera. Patrick gave an open invitation for tarantulas but I'll get better at this one 1st...lol. Yea, Patrick is a cool dude that's for sure and actually I don't think I've chatted with anyone who isn't supportive here on THP,

Back