• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Isolation cage.

Hello again everyone was reading more into isolating the peppers to be able to save the seed every year instead of getting more.

Question im wondering about is isolation cage design.

I found alot of people talking about tulle and i found something else called Agribon. Would one be better then the other?

I figured either 1x2,2x2,wood frame or using pvc piping. Leaning towards the pvc piping for the frames and Agribon for the covers.

Any tips or pictures of something you have come up with?

Thanks everyone
Greg

I use pvc and agribon. Unfortunately, my isolation methods are the one thing I choose not to share with the world completely. Its not difficult to figure out though.

I have a 12 meter long x 5 meter wide foil greenhouse with in the middle 36 compartments or cages (just how you want to call them)

Tunnelkas4.jpg

Tunnelkas3.jpg

I hope you can make out the design. Each compartment holds about 4 plants.

compartiment1.jpg

The material I use would translate as aphid netting. I don't know if you can find something simular in the States:

http://www.howitec.nl/content.php?gid=1&id=56&sid=182&page=Horticulture&langset=en

To keep it simple it is compilled out of wooden frames with the netting stapled on it. Make a door and voila. If you make individual isolation cages it is simple, making long rows back to back is a bit more complicated. But it is like building big outdoors bird cage.

Holy crap that is massive!!! l absolutely love the design. How long did it take to build that?

It took about 2 weeks to prepair the plot and build the foil greenhouse.

Then it took about 3 -4 weeks to make all the cages. I had to do all this in combination with my daily work for my seedshop.

If I could have worked on it full time then it would have taken half the time.

Hey Wouter, what kind of temps do you get in there??

I walked by the thermometer this afternoon and it was about 90 F (32 Celsius). Today is the first serious good sunny day here in the Netherlands. Up till now the greenhouse was mostely closed. There is a double sliding door in the front and 1 sliding door in the back.

Today the front doors where both completly open. When it is realy hot out I open both front and back doors so the is a bit of a draught (is this right).

But it can get up in the 100+ F easily if I'm not carefull, in summer I open the doors in the early morning and close the late at night.

I think if, like me, one is selling the seeds one should do all that's possible to isolate the plants for pure seeds.

If I didn't do that I could grow way more peppers and harvest way more seeds but they would not be pure.

We are still planning on going to spain and set it up realy big but this is a 3 to 5 year plan. With this setup and a smaller one in the other greenhouse I can grow about 45 isolated varieties each year.

Mido has the nicest isolation setup I have ever seen. If you are going to do it... do it like that!

Thanks mate

Back