• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense It seems as though I've grown some Trinidad Scorpions. Now What??

festering said:
Good on you. Take a video and post it here for us all to see.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Funny for us at least.. but probably not really the best idea to be honest, I dont think eating a whole scorpion is a good thing for a nube to superhots. But.. the look of regret is priceless lol

ooo I like that Idea, I might try that with my chocolate reapers when they are ready.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ghaleon said:
Chocolate Reapers are the only instance I know of where the chocolate ones don't seem as hot.
My chocolate reapers from last year seemed to be much hotter then my red ones, odd.

I feel like chocolates work on different folks differently. Some of us think they're extra hot but taste nasty. Other ppl think they're less hot but taste nice, earthy, and smoky...

It's weird but generally speaking, reds have the advantage in the SHU tests. But I swear chocolates light me up harder and taste like battery acid.

Bicycle808 said:
I feel like chocolates work on different folks differently. Some of us think they're extra hot but taste nasty. Other ppl think they're less hot but taste nice, earthy, and smoky...

It's weird but generally speaking, reds have the advantage in the SHU tests. But I swear chocolates light me up harder and taste like battery acid.
I totally agree with you on the chocolates. No bueno for me. They kill me and the flavor is not good. I do like chocolate ghost peppers though.

Chocolate habaneros are excellent for just snacking and are nearly the perfect size. Some of them are closing in on too big but not unmanageable.

Yeah, I grew Jamaican Hot Chocolates last year and Chocolate Habs this year. I like to grow them because they look cool and other ppl love them. Obviously, neither of those two are unmanageably hot, but they seem way hotter, to me, than red Habs do... Even though the shu and other ppl's opinions don't reflect that perception. They also taste very bitter and have a harsh chemical-y aftertaste, to me. Other ppl don't describe the flavor that way, but I don't think they're lying. I just have a different experience than some others do.

I've read that chocolate chiles are just reds that don't lose their chlorophyll when they get ripe, like most pods do. If that's the case, I'm thinking that might have something to do with it? I generally don't like eating unripe green pods, with Jalapeños, Poblanos, and Serranos being bootable exceptions.

Oh nonono don't get me wrong... I vastly prefer ripe red Jalapeños over unripe green ones. But, I'm willing to eat unripe Jalas, Serranos, and Poblanos. But I prefer all three red.

Pretty much all other chiles, I don't want unripe ones at all.

When I go to the store and see Jalapeños, there may be two or three reds in there among the huge amount of green ones. I always thought some were just supposed to end up green because of how large they can get.

They ship them green because they keep better unripe, plus that's how most gringos prefer them.

But, no green Jalapeño beats the flavor of a quality ripe one. I tend to let most of my homegrown ones ripen up, because green ones are cheap and plentiful at the market year-round. But I gotta grow my own if I want them red.

PS-even if you want to eat them green, you'll want them to be full sized, so the flavors can properly develop. In my experience, most of the bigger Jalapeños are lacking in heart and flavor. I grew a few types this year; the Zapotecs some very big, but they're pretty picante and the flavor is outstanding!!

Impressive corkin' on those, for sure.. I've read online that there's almost no heat and they're not actually very close to any real Jalapeños, in terms of DNA.... Someone hypothesized that they have roots in European cultivars?... I want to grow them, but I don't think I'd use them for traditional Jalapeño uses. I think I'd just snack on them...

Meanwhile, the local cantina had some of the Zapotecs I grew floating in a jug full of pineapples and téquila. They sell shots of that pineapple/Jalapeño booze all day, but I get some freebies. That was a use I hadn't anticipated...

So far I have yet to enjoy a single heatless/sweet pepper. The Trinidad Scorpion Sweet is the perfect mix of hot and sweet for me. I definitely want to eat a Habanada but wonder if I'd enjoy it. I think my brain is set to "pepper = hot and that's just the way it's supposed to be". That makes me second guess my interest in Farmer's Market Jalapenos.

So: a few of my peppers have turned red; some are going purple-which should lead to red; and a few new green ones have sprouted that are about an inch long. My sense is that the growing season will come to an end next month, so I'm now starting to formulate my plans for these ridiculous peppers. I'm a reasonable fermenter, having made pickles and kimchi over the past couple of years, and after reading a great deal about how fermenting can extend the flavour profile of peppers into something more complex than a sweaty mucous-filled Scorpion-munching clown-show, am now considering recipes. 

My thinking leads me here: at the point that it's time to pick them, I'll slice them, de-seed them, and put them into a Kilner jar with salt, garlic, and sugar before placing them on the shelf for six months. This is, of course, a simple plan that's not particularly fraught with peril. But even a cursory read of the recipe forum suggests that adding other peppers, apples, mangos and various other fruits and spices are both easy and productive, so if anyone with any experience fermenting these peppers for a long time has either a recommendation or general advice then I'm listening and would like to hear from you.

It's likely that I'll want to make a sauce or have a jar that can be spooned into dishes, and will be labeled with something pithy to celebrate my PhD viva, which is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Thinking of these of goofy peppers has been a nice distraction from an otherwise bizarre time.

It might be relevant to know that I have food processors, but no blender, and a brand new Nakiri knife that needs some exercise.

Any thoughts?

Those fermentation recipes with fruit and spices sound good. It might thin out the heat to a tolerable level and produce a more mellow and palateable flavor profile.

Back