• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking It's been a while!

Haven't smoked much since the spring.  Yesterday I started by putting rubs on some pork shoulders, ribs and chicken.  Woke up at 6 to get it going.  I'll be putting on some blocks of cheese later too!

Ol' Rusty
IMG_20130811_081327_362_zps13bb3e29.jpg

Will be doing this with Belgian beers during the daylight and later on some homemade whiskey!

hopefully the grill stays in one piece.. it looks pretty rusty.. i have the same grill but mine looks new after 6 yrs.. a good cover is the best investment.. I'm grilling tilapia fillets with apple wood smoke going latter today.. the sides are fresh corn on the cob and new potatoes with rosemary.. :)

howardsnm1 said:
hopefully the grill stays in one piece.. it looks pretty rusty.. i have the same grill but mine looks new after 6 yrs.. a good cover is the best investment.. I'm grilling tilapia fillets with apple wood smoke going latter today.. the sides are fresh corn on the cob and new potatoes with rosemary.. :)
Ten years of living next to salt water, it's just a "bit" of surface rust!! The inside is coated with animal fat :drooling:

The cheese didn't take long, and I forgot to get a pic of them until now. The ribs were falling apart and perfect, as were the chicken legs!  The pork wil have to wait until tomorrow since I just wrapped it in foil and threw it in the fridge.  In the morning I'm going to vacuum seal most of it all and freeze it for later.  Happy to have a stash now!!! 

Cheddar, gouda and blue
IMG_20130811_163609_235_zpsba142476.jpg

The ribs on top coated in sauce were eaten for dinner
IMG_20130811_193216_256_zps5650cba6.jpg

And the shoulders
IMG_20130811_202145_984_zpsacd5bb86.jpg

Cheese and pig parts are two of my favorite things. Toss in a few beers and I'm a happy camper!
Got any pics of the ribs cut? I wanna see some smoke ring :).
It's better to pull the pork when it's still hot and after its rested a while. I let mine rest about 45 minutes.
Looks good!!!

hello bs. very nice to meet you in this manner. that is some very pretty meat there sir! i dont even care how terrible that sounds. that is awesome,what you dont know about me is that i would face plant all over that grill for those ribs and make everyone feel uncomfortable. very nice!!!!! 

im also digging that cheese. 

Just ate some of the blue....wow!  My buddy's wife suggested I try it,  damn was she right!!!!  I now HIGHLY suggest smoking blue cheese!

Beerswimmer said:
The pork wil have to wait until tomorrow since I just wrapped it in foil and threw it in the fridge.
HopsNBarley said:
It's better to pull the pork when it's still hot and after its rested a while.

Agreed. Kinda defeats the purpose of letting the meat plateau so it is pullable (when the fats turn to liquid). Cooling firms the fats back up. Plus that's not a safe way to cool meat. It will take all night to cool down to a safe temp, so nasties can grow while it is between 140 and 40.

Back