• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It's gonna be 46 tonight do I need to bring my plants in?

I'm not sure what you're growing but I think that's probably too cold. I'm growing 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion, and Naga Jolokia and for those peppers 46 is definitely too cold. Other peppers may be a little more accommodating but if I had to guess I'd say that's too cold for whatever you're growing. Bring them inside for the night, and put them back out tomorrow.

I've left my scotch bonnets and Caribbean reds out on my patio and our temps have been dipping to 5 C the last few nights and they have been fine. Given the heat retention of the building they are near, I'd still say its still below 10 C where the plants are at. Nice benefit is the aphids hate the cold and have died off. I keep my young Trinidad varieties in the house though, I don't want to risk them outside.

bring them inside
that is to cold for tropical plants.

It would be different if you were growing Tepins or new mexico chili.

It was 43F here this morning, you could see your breath. Worried a little but never considered bringing them in. I did spoil them a little today though. I keep a 45 gallon barrel outside full of water for them and I mixed in some hot water to bring it up to warm then gave them all a nice long warm drink. I could almost see them smilin'.

Seriously, don't worry about 47F unless it stays that way for days without ever getting any higher. I've noticed chiles even habs, growing(although slowly)even as night temps were regularly 35-40F. I've always waited until temps drop to 35 or less before moving anything (as long as daytime temps still rise above 55).

Its 47 right now! LOL We had 1 nite that got down to 36 this week, but it got to 70 during the day, no worries, plants look fine to me. I am planning on digging a couple plants up maybe next week or the week after and bringing them inside for the year, hopefully they live, if not I got seeds!

Back