• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

It's never too early to get started!

Sooo... 2022 season is over and most of my 2023 plants are already there - no reason not to start a new thread already! 😃

While all my current plants are technically overwinterers, only a couple have grown through the 2022 season and are considered interesting enough to keep for next seasons grow.

Let's start with the famous Schneider farms SB plant, which will be going into it's third season in 2023. It currently doesn't look all that nice but that was also the case during the winter of 2021 so no worries here...

20221203 132021 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000376.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132038 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO250 P1000377.JPG

Next in row is my Scotch Brains plant...

20221203 132124 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000378.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132137 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000379.JPG

And then there's the Humble Servants Homestead (HSH) SB, which was also elected to stay for next season...

20221203 132244 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000380.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132259 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000381.JPG

Last edited:
Is it spring already? No, unfortunately, but now is just a good time to get started ðŸĪŠ

I just repotted grandpa pepper and the scotchie babies (I hope that term is not already patented 😁). Maybe that's a good name for a glog... "grandpa and the scotchie babies". Or should I make that "scotchie babes" instead? ðŸĪ­

Enough already... here they are in their own proper pots...

20231013_151855.jpg

Notice the propagator on the right... there's something in there too. It's all scotch bonnets though... some HSH and some papa dreadies (G2-2018 from @Sawyer ) 😉. But no hooks yet...

Wish it was spring already...

Little update... grandpas home pepper...

20231021_105216.jpg

Schneider farms scotch bonnets...
20231021_105235.jpg

HSH scotch bonnets... they need a LOT of time to germinate... still only 3 out of 8 seeds up with a few more reluctantly starting to show... I'm planning on keeping a maximum of 3 anyway...
20231021_105637.jpg

Compared to the HSH, the papa dreadie seeds from 2018 are lightning fast to germinate. I noticed life after just 5 days in the soil! 4 out of 5 up...
20231021_105628.jpg

The HSH scotch bonnet may be a very good quality bonnet, but the seeds that are sold by the humble servants are not. The seeds take quite a bit longer than average to germinate. I planted 8 seeds, of which 6 germinated. Of those, only a couple seedlings look reasonably decent.
Compared to that, the seedlings of the already 5 years old papa dreadie seeds (top container), that all germinated, look excellent. I better be saving seeds of the HSH if I want to keep growing them...
Oh and those seedlings aren't growing sideways, that's just the perspective of the photo 🙂

20231024_182821.jpg

Last edited:
That SB7J is really an excellent pepper! Just made a stir fry with one of those little gems... stirring the food was an experience by itself, some really pungent fumes raised from the pan, causing some serious coughing!

One pod provides plenty of heat, even with the placenta removed.

I really feel sorry that I did't overwinter the SB7J plant, but it had some pests on it that I did't want to bring inside. I planted some new seeds but they don't seem to do very well. Two seedlings came up but they seem very weak. In the mean time I found that Texas Hot Peppers sells SB7J seeds so I ordered a couple of packs.

20230928_182907.jpg

A little photo update with some very low quality shots...
Of course my initial intention of growing just one variety in the 2024 season quickly got washed away 😊 I've got a few varieties going right now, although they haven't gotten very far yet. But they are all scotch bonnets or close relatives (except for the one annuum of course...).

Let's start with the grandpa's home pepper, the one single annuum (for now):
20231216_110930.jpg

Then there's the usual Schneider farms scotch bonnet:
20231216_110955.jpg

The Humble Servants Homestead scotch bonnet:
20231216_111012.jpg

Bahamian goat:
20231216_111020.jpg

MOA red scotch bonnet from WHP (sorry for the OOF picture...):
20231216_111031.jpg

Papa Dreadie G2 2018:
20231216_111044.jpg

MOA yellow scotch bonnet from WHP:
20231216_111102.jpg

Scotch Brains from WHP:
20231216_111118.jpg

And then MOA yellow from Semillas... From the yellow MOA seeds from WHP only one germinated and it grows quite leggy so I gave the seeds from Semillas a try, which apparently don't grow leggy. I also did a second round from the WHP seeds. Again only one came up and it also was a leggy seedling.
The SB7J (seeds from Juanitos) is also a bit of a problem. This is also already the second round. From the first round I got 2 runts that didn't grow at all and I decided to discard them. I hope at least one of these does well. I still feel sorry for not overwintering the SB7J from this season. It was maybe the strongest ever chinense plant I ever grew but it had some pests that I didn't want to take inside. And the pods have turned out to be really great in stir fries...
20231216_111145.jpg

I have also got the MOA red from semillas going but they haven't germinated yet.

Growth is really slow right now as temperatures are not very high in the veranda where they are located (13°C/55.4°F at night and 15°C/59°F during daytime) but as long as they keep doing like this I expect everything will be fine.

Seedlings are doing fine here although growth is still very slow.
The SB7J from Juanitos didn't work out at all. Got replacement seeds from Texas Hot Peppers but, although they germinated fine, the seedlings themselves got extremely leggy and I didn't want to keep these either. Maybe I'll give them another go later in the season when there is more daylight available (not using grow lights for my seedlings). Other seedlings don't seem to have that problem.
I have a Lesya seedling going also now. That will be the only annuum I'll grow this season.

Tonight I made myself a pizza and decided to put some 7pot brain strain yellow on it. So I took a small one out of the freezer and cut it to slivers. When I started eating it I was a bit scared that I would not be able to finish but I made it to the end 😁 :fireball:Boy that brainstrain really is a hot pepper! Looking forward to the aftermath...

My current (updated) grow list for 2024:
  • Bahamian Goat (WHP)
  • Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms (WHP)
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA Red (WHP)
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow (WHP)
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow (Semillas)
  • Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie G2-2018 (@Sawyer )
  • Scotch Bonnet HSH (Humble Servants Homestead)
  • Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Long (WHP)
  • KSLS (Semillas)
  • Lesya (Hoffman Zaden)
This should pretty much be fixed now. As can be seen, nearly all are scotch bonnets or very close relatives, so it's safe to say that, if all goes according to plan, this will be a true "year of the scotch bonnet" 🙂. I'm trying to stay as close as possible to the true Jamaican scotch bonnets. Not sure if these all comply...

The lesya is said to be extremely sweet. I'm growing it especially for the wife 😁
I'm a bit worried about all those bonnets though... a little afraid that I'll quickly run out of fridge space... that's another reason to limit the number of plants...

Current state... still verrrry slow growth. We did have a couple of sunny days in the past week or so and this does show in the growth. I have a couple of small grow lights on order to brighten things up a bit more. But as long as it doesn't get any warmer, growth will probably remain slow...

20240201_121422.jpg

From left to right:
Back row:
  • Scotch Bonnet HSH
  • Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms
Middle row:
  • Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Long
  • Lesya
  • Bahamian Goat
  • Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie G2 2018
Front Row:
  • KSLS
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA (Semillas)
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA (WHP)
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA Red
...and of course something is residing in the propagator... this time it is a Marabella Market Scotch Bonnet. As it happened I read that the Marabella Market SB is supposedly very similar to the Schneider Farms SB on the WHP web site. And as you may well know, the Schneider Farms SB is still my favourite SB. And as I have those seeds lying around here anyway, I decided to put some in the soil... any reason is a good reason and I'm still withing my grow limit for chinense peppers anyway (which is 10 plants) 😁

Last edited:
Hmmm that was a mistake... it's the foodarama SB that is supposedly similar to the schneider farms SB according to WHP, not the marabella market. But that's one I don't have in my collection. I wonder how that's possible ðŸĪ”... ordered it promptly of course 😁...
I do have the beth boyd which according to some is the same as the foodarama (but why does whp sell them separately if that's true?)... oh man, my grow list is about to overflow again!

Last edited:
Back