• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

It's never too early to get started!

Sooo... 2022 season is over and most of my 2023 plants are already there - no reason not to start a new thread already! 😃

While all my current plants are technically overwinterers, only a couple have grown through the 2022 season and are considered interesting enough to keep for next seasons grow.

Let's start with the famous Schneider farms SB plant, which will be going into it's third season in 2023. It currently doesn't look all that nice but that was also the case during the winter of 2021 so no worries here...

20221203 132021 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000376.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132038 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO250 P1000377.JPG

Next in row is my Scotch Brains plant...

20221203 132124 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000378.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132137 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000379.JPG

And then there's the Humble Servants Homestead (HSH) SB, which was also elected to stay for next season...

20221203 132244 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000380.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132259 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000381.JPG

Last edited:
I mounted a couple of small Sansi 5W grow lamps above the seedlings to brighten things up a bit. I hope this will improve the growth rate a bit. I do have the impression that the leaves are already stretching up a somewhat...

20240203_152601.jpg

Same bunch of plants again, grown a little...

20240224_094205.jpg

Had put up only 2 grow lamps at first but I actually had four. I also mounted the 2 remaining lamps above the plants for a more even lighting...

20240224_094140.jpg

I posted in another thread that I wouldn't post an update to my actual grow list for the time being. So here it is... 😋

Ají Charapita: awaiting arrival of seeds
Bahamian Goat (WHP)
Lesya
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP): awaiting germination
Scotch Bonnet Beth Boyd (WHP): awaiting arrival of seeds
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama Yellow (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet HSH
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Long (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican TFM (Semillas): awaiting germination
Scotch Bonnet Marabella Market (WHP): awaiting germination
Scotch Bonnet MOA Red (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow (Semillas)
Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie G2-2018
Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms (WHP)

As usual the list is growing out too large again for my grow space. But not everything is growing yet or is still awaiting arrival of seeds.
The KSLS was already removed to make room for some real bonnets 😈.
I already had a Marabella Market growing but a couple of days ago it suddenly died off... 😪 so I planted some new seeds.
The Jamaican TFM from Semillas stands for "True ForM", not "Trenton Farmers Market".
I already had planted seeds for the Beth Boyd but they didn't want to germinate, so I ordered new seeds of the variety. Still awaiting arrival of those.

So there you have it! 😉

Little grow list update:

Ají Charapita: forever awaiting arrival of seeds 🙄
Bahamian Goat (WHP)
Lesya
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP): germinated
Scotch Bonnet Beth Boyd (WHP): seeds finally arrived and hit the dirt yesterday
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama Yellow (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet HSH
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Long (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican TFM (Semillas): germinated
Scotch Bonnet Marabella Market (WHP): germinated
Scotch Bonnet MOA Red (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow (Semillas)
Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow (WHP): plant looks a bit sick and might be removed from grow list
Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie G2-2018 (Sawyer)
Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms (WHP)

Only today? 😲

And yep, there really is no room for more. As soon as the Beth Boyd has germinated, the propagator will move back to the attic. If I do plant more, I will end up killing off plants during the season, which is a waste also. And there's always the 2025 season! 😄 Planning ahead already! 😉

Only today? 😲

And yep, there really is no room for more. As soon as the Beth Boyd has germinated, the propagator will move back to the attic. If I do plant more, I will end up killing off plants during the season, which is a waste also. And there's always the 2025 season! 😄 Planning ahead already! 😉

Hi MarcV - when's too late to start scotch bonnets? I'm south UK based. I'm a Polytunnel grower.

It's never too late to start a scotch bonnet! 😄 Sounds like a nice title for a thread! 😁

You could probably still wait a little longer but if you wait too long, you will end up with smaller plants at the end of the season. But if you like our plants (or the peppers they produce), you can decide to overwinter them and you'll have some really nice big plants next season😉

I've just started off my bonnets on a heat mat, I thought they were ready way too early last year and I ended up trying to make pickles and chutneys in 35C+ weather

It all depends on the growing conditions also of course... I grow my bonnets outside in open air, no tunnel or greenhouse, which is probably less favourable. They do produce quite a bit of fruit though, but I don't think the heat is at the level it should be.

They seem to enjoy your garden, i wasn't sure if you had some type of cover for them.

Do you have an international shop near you MarcV ? Ive noticed the scotch bonnets aren't the same they were 10 + years ago. Much bigger, longer and no classic bonnet taste.
You don't realise what you have until it's gone, hence the reason I'm growing loads this year! :)

Thank you for the links.

When I mentioned 'international shop' i meant halal supermarket selling international produce, spices from India, etc. I think the commercial bonnets have been hybridized with something else?

Thank you for the links.

When I mentioned 'international shop' i meant halal supermarket selling international produce, spices from India, etc. I think the commercial bonnets have been hybridized with something else?
There may be some that I'm not aware of... 🤔
Great glog you have here Marc
Best of luck this season
Thanks, we'll see how it turns out...

Little by little the bonnets (+ lesya) grow larger. Now that we're finally getting some sun, temperatures quickly rise under the roof to about 30°C and it shows on the grow rate.
I think the lesya is about to split already...

20240308_145755.jpg

There's still something hiding in the propagator also...

20240308_145825.jpg

I took the germinated plants out of the box in the mean time as it got quite hot in there this afternoon, up to almost 40°C. Don't want them to die...

Back