• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc It's not a pod! FFS

Why not just go with both?
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

It's very unfortunate that crackpot pseudo taxonomists derail a reasonable and logical discussion because logic denies their bullshit Capsicum "taxonomy". Capsicum pseudo taxonomy has become the gathering place for misfits who thrive on stroking each others flaccid egos.

Sorry, what were you saying? Couldn’t hear you over the raging Urubamba river.

You know you were talking to one of the few people who actually GO to South America to sort out this Capsicum taxonomy stuff? I get you think you’re into botany. It’s just funny watching you call John a pseudo taxonomist. The one dude who probably has better grasp on the subject than many professionals in the field. I suggest you take a look at John’s work over the last 20+ years. His photography is in the monograph for Pete’s sake.

Just to stir up the mess even more: I visited an Indian grocery yesterday and almost all of the hot peppers (dried and powdered) were called "chillis".

In the end, though, as long as we all know what we're talking about, it's good with me.

But it's still chileE 🤪

Use whichever you prefer. I use chili or chile. Different countries use a different spelling. Some do use chilli - it's used here in South Africa by some.
However........... no-one in the culinary world uses POD! I've never seen a recipe calling for any amount of PODS. They have a name: chile, chillies, chilli, chili, chile pepper.

for a recipe, using the word pod is redundant/not necessary, because:
1. the word chili or pepper must be included to help readers identify what type of food ingredient is being called for
2. the quantity can just be a number (or weight/measure), because
3. there is no ambiguity about what the unit is

200g serrano pepper
>>with the weight given, it doesn't matter what number of pods are used
>>you cannot say "200g [of] serrano pods" because someone reading the recipe may not know what type of food a serrano is without the inclusion of the word "pepper/chili", same as you wouldn't write "8 cups romas" without using the word "tomato"

8-10 thai chilis
>>you could write "8-10 pods, thai chili" or "8-10 thai chili pods" but no one would, because the word "pod" adds nothing to the description

3 cloves garlic
>>specificity of the unit "clove" is required here, to make sure someone doesn't use 3 whole heads of garlic
>>this problem is not present when referring to peppers

You clearly haven't followed the whole thread. The word "POD" is not redundant. It is fucking outrageous and obsolete. Nowhere. I repeat, nowhere, in the reasonable english world is the word "POD" used as a substitute for chile/chili etc.
It is not a POD FFS!

Back