• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It's official, my plants are gone...

to answer one of your earlier questions that I didn't see Omri, Yes, the stomato is the opening on the leaf where the plant breathes.

I like this source better for bacterial leaf spot..

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/Vegetable/vdin018/vdin018.htm
Omri...read this...it tells you all about the disease from identification to treatment to prevention.

If the fellow you know where you took the plant will do it. Like Staffing says, take an infected leaf to him and ask him to isolate the bacteria. You might mention this link to him. The article even describes what the bacteria looks like.

Omri said:
Thanks for all the help.
I'm getting rid of all the plants, and my only real worry now is the possibility it'll come back.
How exactly do I use "bleach" or any other method to kill the bacteria in an infected seed?
I think from now, it'll be a routine.
=================================
For maximal antimicrobial effect, use a water to bleach ratio of 100:1

Probably wouldn't hurt to clean your pots with the same, and get fresh potting soil.

Omri said:
Thanks for all the help.
I'm getting rid of all the plants, and my only real worry now is the possibility it'll come back.
How exactly do I use "bleach" or any other method to kill the bacteria in an infected seed?

I usually just soak the seed in the bleach solution for about an hour then rinse the seed and then plant the seed. This usually works if the bacteria is on the outside of the seed. But if it is on the inside of the seed then you are screwed the only way to effectivally remove the bacteria is to heat treat the seed at 122 degrees for 25 min in hot water, but this will most likely reduce germination rates of your seeds. I would just use the bleach as the bacteria is most likely to be just on the outside of the seed seeing as how your plants made it as far as they did.

Sounds good, thanks.
I'll use it to clean everything else as well.
Hopefully Sunday will be a clean day. :P

You will want to do a complete cleaning/sterilization of you growing area and I mean complete. Clean the walls, ceiling, floor, pots, soil, utensils and etc.

When you start again, sterilize the soil and sterilize your water.

Wash your hands every time you touch anything chile.

This may sound excessive, but I've been growing chiles in hydro for a loooong time and have never had anything but aphids once; I keep everything clean.

i've actually heard the magic bleach solution to kill seed borne disease is 3%, but that's sodium hypochlorite not sodiom hydroxide so maybe the 10% is for sodium hydroxide, but i don't know for sure on that one. if its a 5% bleach (like most household bleach is...) you want three parts bleach to two parts water (soak for 20 minutes, but this is not a 'longer is better' scenario) i've also heard 1% for forty minutes, so whatever you're more comfortable
stomata are on the underside of the leaf, and yup thats where they exchange gasses

lol I feel like I'm back in school. :lol:
I'll clean EVERYTHING, and keep it clean. :)
Also I'm planning on building a chamber for growing plants, so they won't be exposed to everything else in the house (or the other way around).

Omri said:
lol I feel like I'm back in school. :lol:
I'll clean EVERYTHING, and keep it clean. :)
Also I'm planning on building a chamber for growing plants, so they won't be exposed to everything else in the house (or the other way around).

Don't mean to badger you mate, how the hell do you think it got in? Not by seed surely?

I don't think it's the water, because I use mineral drinking water.
Soil? maybe, but not likely.
Air? they were pretty much isolated from other plants.
Seeds? maybe one of the seed packs I got had it in it.

Seems like the seeds are the most reasonable.
That's what happen when you get seeds from all over the world. :O

haha, ya i feel like a student again too... wait, crap i am still a student, i was hoping that was just a horrible dream! (well at least those days as an env science major finally came in handy, that was two majors ago...)
i really think it was the seeds, it is one of the diseases that can be carried by seeds and from the conditions described that sounds like the only remotely possible way it was introduced (air borne doesn't mean its going for miles and miles, it still has to be relatively close).

Staffing where are you? I'm a long way from an expert but I can't see virus surviving on a dormant seed. Its no doubt possible, but what are the odds?
Give it a few days Omri & see what people say & find, before you trash everything.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck & let me know if you need to reinstall - I'll send seeds...unless you think mine had the bug :shocked:

Sorry for your loss Omri, not to late to get a frest start. Spring is still a couple months aways so really your plants will be just a little smaller when you put them outside is all. I'd clean everything ASAP and plant a huge batch of seeds. I bet it's the soil and not the seeds that was infected.

Omri...just thinking here but I think you said you went to the market for fresh/dried peppers...if you handled any peppers at the market then touched your plants, that could also be the transmission vector.

bentalphanerd said:
Staffing where are you? I'm a long way from an expert but I can't see virus surviving on a dormant seed. Its no doubt possible, but what are the odds?
Give it a few days Omri & see what people say & find, before you trash everything.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck & let me know if you need to reinstall - I'll send seeds...unless you think mine had the bug :shocked:
I'm no expert, but more than one source said it's likely to be the seed.
Thanks (again), and no... I don't think they were yours. :lol:

EDIT:
What the...? is that even possible?
I get my spices at the market for cooking, I would like to think I don't eat bacteria. :O
The pods seem healthy, and I always pick the best looking ones.
Also I wash my hands after and before everything. :|

Omri said:
Thanks for all the help.
Omri,
read the PDF from CPI ,it explains the procedure for dissinfecting chili seeds...
http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/research/horticulture/CTF5.pdf
it works best on fresh seeds,but is effective on older seeds too.
good luck

pablo

That sucks Omri! I may have cuttings in a month or so. No charge for a fellow pepper head in need.

Oh hell, you are in israel! I am thinking that cuttings won't be possible.

Let me know of anything I can do to help. I would think that anyone who had infected seeds would have seen this before.

Pm me if you want some seeds.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. I am no expert, but I do believe Bacterial Spot can be transitted through dormant seed. I thought I may have had that issue last year, but it was overfertilization. Again, it shows I'm no expert. :)

I hope you can bounce back and start some more.

Chris

I'm terribly sorry to hear about you loss Omri. I'm new to the pepper scene so don't have anything to offer but support.

I think I will be sterilizing everything I have that's going to be associated with my upcoming pepper season. Sterilizing the seeds sounds like something that should be done every time, no matter what.

Good luck with your "NEW" pepper seeds and plants.

Back