• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It's Too Late, Right? Right?

I've got 280-300 peppers ready to plant outside. Taking this week to harden off more & till new garden (if the rain lets up) & then I'll be planting out. 

Buttttt... I'll be getting CAPCOM's seed train this week. I'm sure there will be a handful of things I'm very eager to plant this season. Is it too late? First frost date around here is about Oct. 28. Obviously, I can try & see & I know people (including myself) started long long ago, but just checking to see if its worth trying this late. 

Thanks.

coachspencerxc said:
I've got 280-300 peppers ready to plant outside. Taking this week to harden off more & till new garden (if the rain lets up) & then I'll be planting out. 

Buttttt... I'll be getting CAPCOM's seed train this week. I'm sure there will be a handful of things I'm very eager to plant this season. Is it too late? First frost date around here is about Oct. 28. Obviously, I can try & see & I know people (including myself) started long long ago, but just checking to see if its worth trying this late. 

Thanks.
I just started some a week back, and my first frost is sooner than yours.  Go for it.  If anything pull up the plant or put the pot in garage or something to finish ripening.

I started some annuums in June last year that were fruiting before frost.  April's definitely not too late for chinenses either in our growing area.

Why not?  I started a huge tray of jalapenos last weekend.

Plant extra seeds, cull the slow growers and feed them well.  I bet planting in April you can have ripe pods in NC by Aug/Sept easily.  I do here.

I think the biggest factor is rainfall, my plants suffer when we have a really rainy early season.  If May/June are really wet in this area then the plants won't like it as much.

I tend to take 3 seeds of any given selection from seed trains depending of course on what I contribute and the availability of a particular selection. That in mind, if I was in your situation, I would be able to gamble one seed to a late start and use that as a learning experience for future situations like the one you are facing now. I would hopefully also have a couple seeds available for next years grow.
I say go for it, in a worst best case scenario and you were able to get only a couple of pods, that's more seed stock for the future, and that is never a losing prospect.

Helvete said:
I started some annuums in June last year that were fruiting before frost.  April's definitely not too late for chinenses either in our growing area.

Why not?  I started a huge tray of jalapenos last weekend.

Plant extra seeds, cull the slow growers and feed them well.  I bet planting in April you can have ripe pods in NC by Aug/Sept easily.  I do here.

I think the biggest factor is rainfall, my plants suffer when we have a really rainy early season.  If May/June are really wet in this area then the plants won't like it as much.

jcw10tc said:
I just started some a week back, and my first frost is sooner than yours.  Go for it.  If anything pull up the plant or put the pot in garage or something to finish ripening.

CAPCOM said:
I tend to take 3 seeds of any given selection from seed trains depending of course on what I contribute and the availability of a particular selection. That in mind, if I was in your situation, I would be able to gamble one seed to a late start and use that as a learning experience for future situations like the one you are facing now. I would hopefully also have a couple seeds available for next years grow.
I say go for it, in a worst best case scenario and you were able to get only a couple of pods, that's more seed stock for the future, and that is never a losing prospect.
Thanks. I just haven't seen much about people starting seeds this late & I know it seems like a lifetime ago that I started the first of mine. Glad to know there are others in the same boat. CAPCOM, I tend to take 4 of a selection from trains- 2 to plant this year & 2 for next year in case something happens to the first 2, or if someone really wanted the extra 2, I've traded those as well. Funny what a difference just 2 seeds makes. :) 

You might also be surprised how fast a chiliecan catch up once planted outside.  I was driving through indiana last year and stopped at thechilewoman.com's greenhouse in mid may.  I bought a couple plants but was a little shocked how small they were.  Most were like 2 - 3 inches smaller than most of mine are today.  She was telling me she does not even plant outside until well into June once her soil has warmed significantly.  One of the plants I got from her brazilian starfish" was about 3" when I planted it.  When I pulled it, it was my tallest plant at almost 7feet.  Might have been in part due to the variety but by august you could not tell which of the plants were the tiny ones from her or my bigger 8 - 18 inch plants at planting time.  So I think you have time.  And from what I have seen you have the space.  Good luck.

coachspencerxc said:

Thanks.
I had to laugh. I have a seed train heading my way, but won't be here for several weeks. I just know I will have to plant a few because I won't have the patience to wait until next year. Just one or two seeds... ;)

You can always overwinter, especially crosses :)  I say it's never a wrong time to start seeds.  Even if you start them in August you'll have adult plants for the next spring.

Helvete said:
You can always overwinter, especially crosses :)  I say it's never a wrong time to start seeds.  Even if you start them in August you'll have adult plants for the next spring.
True true. OK, you guys have me convinced another round is just the thing I need. 18 seems like a nice round number. Maybe 24...

I planted my last seeds yesterday. I've had a late start in general, but fingers crossed it works out. if not there's always next year. 

Back