• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Jack The Beanstalk

How tall do Bhut Jolokias grow? My Bhuts have started to flower and they are at average, a foot high. Now according to a few thread below this ones, people mention pinching the flowers off until it reached a decent size. What size is this decency? Im not going to be selling my peppers, but I still would love to reach maximum yeild.

When you stop is entirely up to you. I personally prefer my plants to grow thick and bushy before you allow it to fruit so I don't end up with a tall skinny plant that has 10 fruit, but a short thick lush plant that has 100 fruit. My overwintered TS project was pruned when only a few months to keep the stalk from growing too tall and I ended up with a 3' tall, but 4' wide plant that had a ton of fruit.

Since my plants don't get full sun all day it helps to have a wide plant. When starting off I read plants that have a long stalk use and waist a lot energy growing upward and as a result are not going to be as productive as a short wide plant. So for me I actually prune my plants slightly and or tie down the taller shoots to the side of the pot so they grow outward and not upward. This also helps prevent the stalk from breaking becuase it grows short and thick and not tall and skinny.

You are in Miami right? Year round growing outside? Just let it go. Give it tons of sun and behold the power of the Bhut. Could get up to 6' or so this year.

You are in Miami right? Year round growing outside? Just let it go. Give it tons of sun and behold the power of the Bhut. Could get up to 6' or so this year.

well the reason i ask is because my plants are around 1 feet tall and they are sprouting flowers already. should i pinch them off and let the plant grow a little more before i let it flower?

+1 on LGHT

My story is basically the same and I had 5 Reds and 5 Chocs Bhuts that produced 100 pods each easily. My freezer is full of them and they go real nice on pizza!!

Good luck!!

In a greenhouse at the chilli factory here Marcel grew them to three metres tall, would have gone taller but they hit the ceiling hahaha

I think it's kind of cruel, you plant a plant to produce and it happily obliges only to get it's pretty buds/flowers pinched off. I also think that if you let the plant do what it wants to do it will reward you with plenty of fruit.

You have to love your plants :D

Back