• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Jalapeno Hydro Update

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post an update on my DWC hydro Jalapeno grow! This is my first ever hydro attempt and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. My plant is growing to be a beast! I had a couple of rounds of nutrient burn/lockout as I was learning, but overall the grow has been very successful and very easy actually. The guy at my local hydro store has also been hooking me up with all kinds of samples of various products. Since I had Fox Farm nutrients, I've been using that for main nutrients, but a couple of the samples I tried are most likely going to be added to my collection permanently. Mainly, Hydroguard, which does a great job of keeping my roots healthy, instead of always adding H2O2. Also, CalMag seems to be a great supplement, although I'm kind of experimenting now and seeing how Fox Farms alone does without the CalMag, since it does contain micronutrients.

I've been keeping my solution at about 450-550 ppm after burning the plant, and I noticed a couple other people saying that's the range they keep it at. In the last week or so, however, I have been slowly ramping up the solution, up to about 710 ppm now to see how the plant handles it. So far it looks good. Am I pushing it too much?

For a little while, I wasn't getting peppers, just dropping flowers a lot. I read a bit about it and tried a couple changes, mainly dropping the solution down since it was way too high at the time. I had a little bit of a temperature control issue for about a week as well after switching to a 400w HPS about a month ago I think. After making these adjustments, as well as taking a little acid brush and agitating every open flower I saw on a regular basis, the peppers started popping up everywhere! I will be harvesting my first pepper or two probably within the week, with many more to come soon after. Any good indicators of when to cut these babies?

I do have one issue currently that seems to be improving, but I would like to know what it is. Some of the leaves at the top of this bushy beast are kind of paling and losing their dark green color. My original thought was possibly nitrogen deficiency but I thought that occurs on lower, older leaves first. Also, it seems to yellow from the inside out (starting at the petiole). After doing some research, my only guess is maybe iron deficiency.

I've been straying from the Fox Farm feeding schedule for the last couple weeks (part of my attempt to stop flowers from dropping). The schedule calls for 2tsp/gal Grow Big (vegetative stage nutrients), 1tsp/gal Tiger Bloom (flowering stage nutrients), and 1tbl/gal Big Bloom (not sure exactly what the purpose of this one is to be quite honest, it just claims to help flowering plants, bigger yield, etc). This is what it says for week 12, which I've been sticking to, although it almost doesn't make sense, since it's calling for more vegetative nutrients than flowering, which is why I wondered if I was getting too much nitrogen. I tried ditching Grow Big altogether for a week or so and as of a few days ago I started doing it according to the schedule again (fractional amounts, but in the same ratio). Anyone else here have experience with these nutrients? Any recommendations? The numbers are:

Grow Big Hydro: 3-2-6
Tiger Bloom: 2-8-4
Big Bloom: 0.01-0.3-0.7

Anyway, I've been rambling on. Check out my pics, and throw any and all feedback this way! By the way, I cut the new growth on the plant a few nodes up, hence the crazy splitting and bushiness of it all.

Pics were taken about a week ago I think, but I'll add more soon:

http://picasaweb.google.com/loudawgucr/Jalapeno?authkey=WobydceiS1E

Yeah, looks great! I'd sure like to try hydro growing once, but atm I can't afford to dump my setup and replace it. I am already trying to save some money for the enormous amount of soil and pots I'll need in 2 weeks! :) :(

Chiliac said:
Yeah, looks great! I'd sure like to try hydro growing once, but atm I can't afford to dump my setup and replace it. I am already trying to save some money for the enormous amount of soil and pots I'll need in 2 weeks! :) :(

You'd be surprised at how cheap this setup really is! Well, at least the essential DWC components anyway. It's really nothing more than a bucket, aquarium air pump and air stone, and a net pot with hydroton pebbles. Probably like $50 total. Although, I'm kind of a perfectionist and want to have the best control possible, so I invested in a reverse osmosis system (found a fantastic system for very cheap on eBay that works just great), and of course my most recent purchase was the HPS light. However, I started this plant out on nothing more than 4 26w CFL bulbs (2 each of the different spectrums). I moved up to a homemade fixture and reflector consisting of 8 bulbs (half 26w cool white, half 45w warm white) for a while before finally wanting to go even bigger and get the HPS (also very cheap from the right places).

So really you don't have to do all of these things, but you CAN get into hydro for dirt cheap (pun intended). :-)

Thanks for all the kind words by the way, everyone. I'm glad to get some approval! I'm very happy with my success so far, especially considering this is my first hydro attempt and really my first attempt to ever grow any fruits or veggies period!

So can anyone tell me what the best indicator is for determining when the pepper is ready to harvest? My oldest one is starting to show the streaks on it now, and it's pretty big. I think I want to harvest before it starts to go red, but I really don't know when that is.

wow, that is one hell of a root system. i am very pro-foxfarm. beautiful plant. what kind of RO system do you have, and how much did it cost, if you don't mind my asking?

IGfatali said:
wow, that is one hell of a root system. i am very pro-foxfarm. beautiful plant. what kind of RO system do you have, and how much did it cost, if you don't mind my asking?

I got the 6-stage, 150GPD system for about $130 shipped, just like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-stage-150GPD-...ryZ20684QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can get the 100GPD version for a little over $20 less, though. Also, after installing my system, I decided I definitely needed the pressure tank for about $25 more. These things really don't put out much flow so the tank is pretty much a necessity. And if you're going to get the tank, then you might as well just get the 100GPD version since you're not going to be relying on the flow rate from the filter really. It might just take a little longer to re-fill the pressure tank. So for around $150 you can have a full, effective system. It's worth every penny, and I use it for drinking water too. Although there is a 0ppm RO filter, the one I got reduces my tap water, which is generally around 550-600ppm, down to 20ppm.

loudawgucr how you going mate, Im pretty sure our mate Pablo is using FoxFarm stuff maybe give him a pm & see what direction he takes with his grow, me, Im using canna coco coir & canna coco nutes, the chilli plants absolutely love growing in it & there is no need for any of the extra fancy additives. looking good mate & glad weve got another "Hydro grower" here!:onfire:

billyboy said:
loudawgucr how you going mate, Im pretty sure our mate Pablo is using FoxFarm stuff maybe give him a pm & see what direction he takes with his grow, me, Im using canna coco coir & canna coco nutes, the chilli plants absolutely love growing in it & there is no need for any of the extra fancy additives. looking good mate & glad weve got another "Hydro grower" here!:onfire:

billyboy, thanks, I think I have seen Pablo mention using these nutes also. I'll send a PM over and get more info. What EC/PPM do you keep your solution at? Since I'm deep into the flowering stage, I'm worried I may be keeping mine too low (around 450 PPM, .9 EC).

Back