• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Jalapeno Varieties - Best Option for 2010 Grow?

My only two jalapenos to grow this year will be Vaquero and Billy Biker (thanks roper). No more bland and mild jalapenos for me.

I think I'll try the Biker Billy out this year if they have plants available at the local nursery. I can't remember if they do or not. I've already ordered seed for about 30 different varieties of peppers, so I think I'm doing ordering seeds for the year. :D

Really the only reason I grow jalapenos at all is because I like the red ones a lot more than the green. It would be nice to have some jump japs for making sausage/cream cheese stuffed peppers or jalapeno poppers though. How big do they typically get?

Only growing the Numex Piñata. The variety I grew last year is unknown, grew only to about 18 inches, put out about 35, inch and a half pods. thought about vaquero or some purples.

Biker Billy sounds like a tried and tested winner.

Has anyone had a chance to grow out Pepperlover's Giant Jalapeno?

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=25&category_id=19&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

With the extra size and heat of this jalapeno, it sounds promising.

dvg

Biker Billy sounds like a tried and tested winner.

Has anyone had a chance to grow out Pepperlover's Giant Jalapeno?

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=25&category_id=19&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

With the extra size and heat of this jalapeno, it sounds promising.

dvg
Got a couple producing right now as we speak! :D

IMG_4073.jpg

I've been tempted to pick a green one and give it burl but as so far I only have 4 pods on the plant I will control myself and wait till they ripen.....

I'm currently growing CPI - Jalamundo. I have several fruit growing. Nothing humongous as of yet. The stem area is pretty fat so that might be a promising sign.

Growing the Jalamundo was a result of deciding between this plant and the Biker Billy (who I used to watch on T.V. "Biker Billy Cooks with Fire"). Unfortunately, no big box store had seeds nor did the Burpee site at the time.

I really hope this plant produces tasty fruit. With the time invested in only four plants (one bed apt), it'd be such a bummer if they suck.

BTW, has anyone tried the Mucho Nacho they are selling at Tomato Growers? I've been thinking about giving them a shot.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot3.htm

I don't remember Mucho Nacho being hotter than normal, but it sure was big. I've grown that, Grande Hybrid and Biker Billy, all are very nice. I'm looking forward to trying Jalapeno M someday and can't wait to hear about Jalamundo and Biker Billy F2. This year I'll just be using up the rest of my Biker Billy seeds.

Edit: Early Jalapeno is on my list to try too, just not this year.

BTW, has anyone tried the Mucho Nacho they are selling at Tomato Growers? I've been thinking about giving them a shot.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot3.htm

I grew Mucho Nachos in '09. Wasn't very impressed. Decent size and heft, but mild heat and quite bland flesh. Kind of like a "gringo pepper" as they serve in Mexican restaurants in the Northeast, where they know the local palette can't handle the heat. My muchos were growing next to my Biker Billys, and in truth we ended up throwing the Muchos into cooked food and saving the Bikers for meals where the jals would be the featured flavor. Also, they don't cork or cork much. To me, uncorked jals are just less appealing aesthetically.

Got a couple producing right now as we speak! :D

IMG_4073.jpg

I've been tempted to pick a green one and give it burl but as so far I only have 4 pods on the plant I will control myself and wait till they ripen.....

Looking good so far Gasificada.

It'll be interesting to hear to what you think of the Giant Jalapeno's heat, heft and flavor once you are able to harvest and try one.

dvg

I also love the Biker Billy, It is the only Jalepeno I grow since others are so cheap at the store.
The Burpee rack is usually empty where the bikers are, but last year I caught the burpee guy filling it up, so I bought all 15 packs he put there!
He looked at me kinda strange when I asked if he had any more packs on his truck :) He said no but I think he was lieing.

I'm currently growing CPI - Jalamundo. I have several fruit growing. Nothing humongous as of yet. The stem area is pretty fat so that might be a promising sign.

Growing the Jalamundo was a result of deciding between this plant and the Biker Billy (who I used to watch on T.V. "Biker Billy Cooks with Fire"). Unfortunately, no big box store had seeds nor did the Burpee site at the time.

I really hope this plant produces tasty fruit. With the time invested in only four plants (one bed apt), it'd be such a bummer if they suck.

I also got some Jalamundo from CPI and you are right the others are so cheap why grow them. Hoping for some Mundo Poppers

Back