• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeño vs Habanero Heat; something doesn't add up

When I was back in the states I ate Jalapenos and Habaneros many times a week, every week for years. Every once in a while I'd tangle with a Jalapeño that put a hurt on me that no Habanero ever did. It wasn't just the heat level but the duration. Habaneros are pretty consistent with an intense burn for roughly 5-6 minutes; but, every so often I'd get a Jalapeño that not only burned with intensity but for as long as 30 minutes. I never understood that.
Anybody else experience that? Any idea what that was all about? Cheers.

Happens to me every once in a while too... I had one yesterday that I swear was hotter than an orange hab. Put a serious hurting on my guts and numbed up my mouth just like an orange hab. I have no clue why it happens though lol.

I have eaten XXX Green chile that seems to burn almost as hot as a Habanero some times. It is definately a lingering burn too. I have also noticed that their heat seems to hold up in cooking better than habaneros. Must be the slight differences in the capicum between C.chinense and C.annuum.

I have eaten XXX Green chile that seems to burn almost as hot as a Habanero some times. It is definately a lingering burn too. I have also noticed that their heat seems to hold up in cooking better than habaneros. Must be the slight differences in the capicum between C.chinense and C.annuum.

Well, that may be. I've had red and orange Habs many times but certain Jalapenos have hurt me worse than any Hab I've had. I'm harvesting red and orange now and they are as expected heat wise. But an occasional Jalapeño has hurt me more and longer.

it's also about where the burn sits. a front burn can sometimes feel way worse than a back burn. it's difficult to measure scoville units on taste alone. there are so many jalapeno strains out there and some really pack a wallop!

People's taste receptors all work differently, especially when different peppers are involve containing different capsainoid levels. I know a few people who can't take the heat of C. pubescens like Rocots but they can handle habs which are way hotter in SHU

I don't find them often but I have found Jalapenos that are darn hot. And as you said the heat seems to last a long time. The heat from a Habanero kicks me in the face but dies off pretty quick. I have no clue what's up there but I have noticed that.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

See.....I had that yellow 7 which sucked complete ass, but then afterwards I had a little white hab the size of a jelly bean and it felt like someone shot the back of my throat with a shotgun. The white hab didn't burn my mouth mouth really at all, but the back of my throat......wow. So much pain.

I've experienced it a few times when making poppers. I always do a mix of Hab and Jalapeno poppers, and on occasion one of the jalapeno ones will really bring the pain. It really catches you off guard.

We did some a few years back that were inedible for all but a few of us. They had a burn a hab only wish it could.

I've also had green chili that puts a lot more hurt on me than habs ever do.

ive had the same impression about this. habaneros have a killer burn, but for me it has always been really hot for a shot period, and then the burn stops really abruptly, whereas in the case of jalapenos and serranos, given the thicker walls and much bigger size in general, theyve always been much more difficult to handle because they have such an intense burn that just goes on and on and on. its for this reason that i dont even eat or grow serranos, and dont use jalapenos nearly as much as i use habaneros

Back