• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapenos from Mexico

Woo-hoo! So good to hear. I'm following this topic, so please keep the updates here so I won't miss them. I'm hoping you'll have seed to trade next fall.

smokemaster said:
Now that my health is getting better I'm thinking about growing seeds from Mexican market pods.
Stuff from Mexico Markets in Mexico,not markets here in the states.

Seeds from a Chipotle dry pepper , raado mexico jalapeno , xzapotec jalapeno and a couple more no name mexican pods...
Sounds interesting! I really think the peppers grown from plants originating in Mexico taste more and better than stuff here in the states. I have Serrano's also that I have been growing from pods from Mexican grown plants.

Good luck and good health.

A couple of pods prior to deseeding. Note one of these pods developed into a strange shape.

Attachments

• xalapa round variant.JPG
    xalapa round variant.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 50
     Just stumbled upon your journey here tonight. It would be interesting to taste a variety (or landrace) whose genetics for flavor and heat haven't diluted or or left behind in the quest for fruit size and production.
     I hope I can get my hands on some of that jalapeño seed this coming fall, once you and the seed train riders have a chance to do an increase. In the mean time, if you have extra, would you be willing to trade for some of the Mexican serrano seed you mentioned above? I never had a red, ripe homegrown serrano before this season. They are the best! I'd love to try the real deal, instead of what Bonnie thinks should pass for it.

I was also correct in not expecting a lot of heat from the round pod as I had recently watered the plants prior to picking it. Except for heat, the pods sweetness and juiciness reminded me very much of the manzano. It was more like eating a manzano than it was a Xalapa, I really wish now I would have held back watering. 

I moved this from the wild ride seed train.

I am interested in hearing updates from anyone that will be growing the Xalapas they acquired from the seed train. One thing you will notice very soon after germination is the huge cotys these seedlings produce.

I buy the whole peppers from a grocery that imports them. I am certain they are not the only source. Getting mature pods that the seeds will germinate is the challenge.

Yes, I agree. And as long as grow reports continue to come in indicating the plants are producing true pods I will be further satisfied. All that remains after that are the reviews on the pods taste and heat. Nigel Carter has gratiously agreed to review this pepper when I have pods available. Look for that.

I have just harvested several pods from this years plants to promote more growth of the plant and to see where this latest generation of xalapas stand. While the pods where not fully mature the one I consumed was very crunchy and juicy. With maturity will come additional heat, though this one was not disappointing. Several plants are producing pods that are displaying all the traits and attributes that were sought at the onset of this project.
Anyone else tried any pods from their grow?

I have not tried the pods yet, waiting for them to ripen a bit more.  Below is a pic of two of the more mature pods, they measure 5+ inches long, which is absolutely beastly for a jalapeno.   Maybe I'll make a popper from one tonight, that should be enough for a meal!   :shocked:

(g-shock watch included for reference)
glzZxC3h.jpg

They would make good poppers. But you really don't want to cheat yourself of a mature fresh one. I insist.

It is the reason I was relentless in pursuing them.

Update 7-17-15 17:15

Today I ate one of the larger peppers harvested the other day and the heat, flavor and placental mass is exactly like those from the store. :onfire: :D :dance:

shadrack said:
I have not tried the pods yet, waiting for them to ripen a bit more.  Below is a pic of two of the more mature pods, they measure 5+ inches long, which is absolutely beastly for a jalapeno.   Maybe I'll make a popper from one tonight, that should be enough for a meal!   :shocked:

(g-shock watch included for reference)
glzZxC3h.jpg
It appears you are getting some slight corking. They should fill out a bit more at the tip.

Back