• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jamaican Yellow Hot aka Jamaican Mushroom aka Yellow Squash Peppers, etc

I've seen these things sold under a number of names, and I've even seen them mislabeled as "Scotch Bonnets." I'm talking about these things that assist to be an annuum x chinense cross, and they're shaped kinda like an inverted Scotch Bonnet? Know what I'm talking about? They come in both Red and Yella colorways... I'm partial to Yella chiles, more than any other hue...

Some of the fellas on the Bonnet fb group are stoked to grow these, all of a sudden. I can't deny that I'm a lil intrigued too. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on these things?

Can not help much with the yellow variety, but
the red JA Mushroom is an awesome pepper.
Excellent flavor with mild to medium heat.
Here is a picture of some of last season's 
late harvest.

The original seed for this strain came from Jamaica
via WalkGood.

Bicycle808 said:
I've seen these things sold under a number of names, and I've even seen them mislabeled as "Scotch Bonnets." I'm talking about these things that assist to be an annuum x chinense cross, and they're shaped kinda like an inverted Scotch Bonnet? Know what I'm talking about? They come in both Red and Yella colorways... I'm partial to Yella chiles, more than any other hue...
Only thing I can offer BikeMan.>Jamaican Hot Yellow (C. Chinense)

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Only thing I can offer BikeMan.>Jamaican Hot Yellow (C. Chinense)
Yeah, those are the ones I'm talking about! I'm fascinated by them. They just look
.. Intriguing.

I think they'll be kinda Bonnetaceous, but with half the heat and some annuum character on the palate.

I'm hoping that someone who had grown them can be like "grow them!! They're amazing!" ... Or, "don't bother... Just grow more Bonnets." Y'know, like a one or two sentence review. An endorsement or a caveat emptor...

Bicycle808 said:
I'm hoping that someone who had grown them can be like "grow them!! They're amazing!" ... Or, "don't bother... Just grow more Bonnets." Y'know, like a one or two sentence review. An endorsement or a caveat emptor...
I grew them back in 2016, Bike. These seem to be the only two pics of mine I can find though. Sorry, I can't find any ripe pics
IMG_9393.JPG

IMG_9394.JPG

Tasty pods, no doubt, and mine probably topped out around 150,000 SHU. Great snacking peppers for while you're strolling through your pepper patch, but not "remarkable." Don't get me wrong; they're good. Fruity and citrusy, like a yellow Bonnet, but not as pungent. Kinda like a "Bonnet Light," hahaha.

My $0.02? Just grow more Bonnets, dude
Hope that helps!
:cheers:

(Disclaimer: I've never grown the red version, so can't comment on those)

Thanks for the insight, Mike. That's a great pic, btw.... I probably will just grow more Bonnets this year, big I'll be looking to get a box from someone growing the Mushroom peppers, just for a lil try before i buy...

Of course, I'd love to read about other ppl's experiences

I grew these peppers in my 2018 grow. I used them all in a fermented sauce.......and it was awesome, according to friends I shared it with. To me, never growing a different pepper is the same as never trying a different food to eat.......
They are the ones in the center of the table on the first pic, the plant in the second pic.

536EFCB1-87B3-49A8-A634-791AC072E2BF.jpeg

D8A0E3CC-D052-4E08-81C5-2F3EF34C03FD.jpeg

I agree that growing a new pepper is always a worthwhile experience, even in cases where the pepper itself fails to inspire me, bc it's all about the experience, learning about a new strain, etc.

I'm just in a weird place bc i have almost all of my 2020 grow ironed out, with all the I'll need plus an embarrassingly large number of excess seeds... So, I'm not going to order the Jamaican Yella Hot Mushroom jawns by themselves (who orders one or two packets?) but placing larger orders is, in part, how i got to be overrun with seeds to begin with.

I like to pretend that I'm a frustrating who looks to minimize waste, so... In thinking i need to downsize my seed stash right now, and maybe order these and some other intriguing varieties next year?

But thanks so much for the review and the incredible pictures. I do think these look to be interesting and i think having a semi-Bonnetesque chile with half the heat of an actual Bonnet would be useful for recipes and gifts... So i think I'll put them on my "possible" list for 2020 and "definite" list for 2021. ☺️

I had a chance to try both the red and yellow versions this year. I thought the yellow was maybe a little milder and fruitier tasting than the red. Both of them had a pretty nice, sweet annuum taste with a hint of fruitiness and a pretty respectable burn for an annuum. They were actually a bit warmer than I had expected based on the reviews I had seen. I liked them both, and I think they could be worth growing for their nice sweet flavor and cool shapes. They didn't really taste like a Bonnet or any other chinense to me though. Just a nice sweet annuum taste for both of them. They are also super easy to deseed, since the seeds are all right at the top of the pod and can be easily removed together with the calyx. 

And Bike, your inbox is full.

I have a couple of plants producing pods like that, and some with different forms.  Most of the plants were grown from farmers market pods from which I kept seeds.  Who knows what was in that woodshed.

PaulG said:
Can not help much with the yellow variety, but
the red JA Mushroom is an awesome pepper.
Excellent flavor with mild to medium heat.
Here is a picture of some of last season's 
late harvest.

The original seed for this strain came from Jamaica
via WalkGood.
Paul, i have no idea how i missed your post yesterday. Oops.
Your peppers look rad. The more i dig into these, the more i want to grow them. I'm a bit more stoked on the Yella version, but reds are probably awesome too.
ShowMeDaSauce said:
The ones i grew were not chinense. They were an annuum for sure or possibly a hybrid. I could not taste or smell any of the chinense funk at all. They were damn hot for a annuum and the flavor was really good. Very thin walled.

The one i got was called Jamaican Gold from CCN.
jamaican-gold-pepper-plants.jpg
Yeah, the senillas.de site purposes these are a chinense x annuum hybrid, and I've seen them referred a such before. Some sites list them as just chinense; others as just annuums. I've seen more than one site seeking then "Scotch Bonnets." Baker's does; it's embarrassing. I've never tried them, but looking both the calyx and the plants' structure, or is clear that they are annuums or at least part annuum. I think the high SHUs and the origins/appearance have led ppl to assume since chinense heritage. I'm over here repeating oft-echoed internet rumors, but i will reserve judgment until after I've eaten/grown them.

I recall seeing them listed as "Jamaican Gold" at CCN (CCN closed down! Wtf?) But it seems like lots of different names for this type, or maybe they're actually different types?

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Looks like a winner!>
Yeah definitely. You get a of hits of you search then under the other names, too...

BlackFatalii said:
I had a chance to try both the red and yellow versions this year. I thought the yellow was maybe a little milder and fruitier tasting than the red. Both of them had a pretty nice, sweet annuum taste with a hint of fruitiness and a pretty respectable burn for an annuum. They were actually a bit warmer than I had expected based on the reviews I had seen. I liked them both, and I think they could be worth growing for their nice sweet flavor and cool shapes. They didn't really taste like a Bonnet or any other chinense to me though. Just a nice sweet annuum taste for both of them. They are also super easy to deseed, since the seeds are all right at the top of the pod and can be easily removed together with the calyx. 

And Bike, your inbox is full.
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in trying them. I've read opinions that they taste like Bonnets, but those of you on this thread that have had them seen to disagree, by and large. Personally, i hope they don't, bc i grow a ridiculously large number of Bonnets each year. But, if they end up tasting like Bonnets, i could dig that too. Obviously, i love the taste of Scotch Bonnets.

I gotta fix my inbox. On my phone now, and i don't think i can delete messages from here. I'll have to get on my laptop. Thanks for the heads-up!

Chorizo857_62J said:
I have a couple of plants producing pods like that, and some with different forms.  Most of the plants were grown from farmers market pods from which I kept seeds.  Who knows what was in that woodshed.
Growing mysterious seeds of dubious pedigree can be fun. I personally had a blast just allowing some of my volunteers to grow out. The mysteries are low-level exciting. Definitely had a few crosses, and my volunteer Serrano plants outgrew and outproduced the Serranos i started indoors, so....

I grew the yellow ones last year. They came out exactly as in the picture. Heat wise they had all the elements of a fatalli but toned down. There is a similarity. They start production early. Mine just took forever to ripen. This is not a small pepper. I wasn't taken aback but last season was wonky and none of the peppers developed proper taste. Try it and see for yourself. 

I've been growing Jamaican Yellow Mushroom peppers every year for the last 5-7 years.

I really like the flavor, although it's a pretty subtle flavor.

Aside from the shape of the pod, the one's I grow behave like an annuum in every other respect.  There's not even a hint of a Scotch Bonnet flavor.

Mine aren't as hot as some of the other people posting in this thread.  They're about as hot as a Jalapeño.

The first three ripe pods off of one of my Jamaican Yellow plants. These were on the same plant and the same branch. Pod shape initially across all the plants seems to be all over the place.

E8340C20-B00C-4160-852D-D2D03B4215E4.jpeg

skullbiker said:
The first three ripe pods off of one of my Jamaican Yellow plants. These were on the same plant and the same branch. Pod shape initially across all the plants seems to be all over the place.

1st) This is not my plant.
2nd) I lifted it years ago because of the pod shapes.
3rd) Note the circled shapes, red-tam o' shanter, black-semi-hat shape, white-no hat shape at all.
4th) Just my 2¢ 

V1LUKG6.jpg

NECM

Back