• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Japanese Food....

Spending 2 weeks in Tokyo just before xmas. Unfortunately my knowledge on Japanese food is not that extensive. Could anyone recommend some dishes to try?

I was also hoping to get some Japanese chilli products there as gifts and personal use if anyone has any suggestions?

Cheers guys.

One thing i came across that i do want to try is okonomiyaki  :drooling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWhoD8bUepw

WTF!?!?

I have no idea what that is, I'm grossed out, confused, intrigued and hungry :). It's like a greasy American diner in Japan. I'm waiting for Guy Fieri to walk in and make bad jokes haha! And what's with God Bless America playing in the background? Hilarious.

If you can't get a hold of Filmost, try Rymerpt, he spent a lot of time there in the Navy I think.

I had some awesome food while there a few years ago, the soft cream (like soft serve ice cream) in a town called Karuizawa was da bomb.  There are soft cream places all over Tokyo (though not as good as the ones in Karuizawa, but still better than the average ones in the US).  There are flavored soft cream, but the regular vanilla one is the best.  Oh, don't get the low calorie ones.  They are nasty.  Japanese dessert crepes are great too.  There's a place across the street from Tokyo Dome hotel has the best tomkatsu (battered pork steaks).  It's like the filet mignon of tomkatsu.  Okay, better stop, I'm getting hungry.  Have fun!

We have Shipt here now ... might have to use it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448136187.494476.jpg

Cheers for the responses guys.... actually lost a little track of this thread  :oops: 

Been a crazy 24 hours... ups and downs, beers, cheers, stress, hugs and tears... but arrived a few hours ago now. Went out for a walk and the food here looks/smells amazing. Stopped in for a Katsu curry which was very good (thanks Kikaida)....

....just relaxing atm, gotta big day tomorrow, thanks again

2015-12-10%2015.02.34_zps8rmcqkvq.jpg

ColdSmoke said:
sushi...you should watch this 
Used to be on Netflix...not sure if it still is. Jiro is truly an exceptional human. I just checked and it is still on Netflix
Torture!!!

you understand. So many types of ramen, all really delicious. Striding away from japanese ramen, there's this chinese place which serves hong kong style egg noodle ramen, with slightly thinner noodles and a delicious broth made with duck pork and chicken bones. Some fresh vegetables, and topped with char sui, roast duck and shrimp wontons, it's amazing. I've been there easily over 500 times growing up and have always gotten the soup. Ramen is a way of life

Tinnie said:

i am a changed man.

Maybe the copious amounts of cup noodles i ate as a teenager had warped my perspective..... but i never knew ramen could be so dang freaking delicious.... i really understand this comment now....

Tinnie said:
i am a changed man.

Maybe the copious amounts of cup noodles i ate as a teenager had warped my perspective..... but i never knew ramen could be so dang freaking delicious.... i really understand this comment now....

Instant ramen to ramen = can of SpaghettiOs to good pasta.

The Hot Pepper said:

Instant ramen to ramen = can of SpaghettiOs to good pasta.

Oh of coarse.

Maybe i thought the noodle was just a filler for a nice soup, maybe i didnt think at all. I have realised both noodle and soup star...... ive always strayed more to the Chinese wonton based soups in the past....

I want to buy that book you linked in a previous post.... the reviews seems very promising.....

Back