• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JCR glog - re-loaded.

This is late in coming, and I don't have pictures for everything... So bear with me.

Iive in zone 9b, and we had quite a mild winter, so I started germinating seeds indoors in october. I have a desk with a hutch and a built in Flourescent light... I also have a surround sound system with rather tall speakers that leave about 5 inches between the light in the hutch and my jiffy green house. I started 10 Orange Habs, 10 Long Thin Cayenne, 10 Thai Sun, and 10 Big Early Jalapenos, the seed was not isolated and was collected off my plants from last year. The cayenne was a sad plant, and only produced 3 or 4 pods all summer... The Habanero beside it produced enough to make gallons of puree'd Habs that I love to eat by the spoon full. The Jalapeno likewise produced pound upon pound of pods. I selected the biggest pods from each and saved the seed.

All 40 seeds came up, and this being the first year I've grown peppers out from seed, I was unprepared with something to transplant them into. I called up a few friends and had them save 2 ltr bottles, milk jugs, orange juice containers (plastic and sealed cardboard) and any other container in that size that they would be willing to spare. I also went to biglots and bought a ton of styrofoam cups at 51 cups for 1$. By the time they were ready for transplant I had aquired about 100 assorted bottles in the 2ltr and half gallon to 1 gallon range. So I ordered more seeds from amazon (yeah yeah I know... I ordered from Hinterlands, and it remains to be seen if they grow true or not), PepperJoe, regal seeds (free from posting links on facebook) and picked up some burpee bell peppers. My mother came over to visit one day, and I was re-potting my seedlings... Up till this point I had been using a map to know which seedling was which. Mom offered to help, and within just a few minutes I no longer knew which was which... All I know for sure, is that they are either Jalapenos, Cayenne, or Habaneros.

Feeling pretty confident, I picked up a couple of 72 cell jiffy green houses, and loaded them up with seeds. I had fantastic luck with the Trinidad Scorpions, and Bhut Jolokias (red) but terrible luck with the Chocolate Habs, 7pot, and a few others. I contacted the vendor, and was promptly re-shipped a new batch of seed with a BUNCH of bonus seed. That was about the time I discovered Garden Web, and began trading seeds. This too brought up my variety count.

Currently I have 48/50 varieties germinated at about an 70% success rate (including the bad seed from the one vendor, which for giggles is still in the jiffy green house on the speaker under the flourescent tube). Currently I have 141 plants in the ground, and another 50 or 60 in re-used foam cups.

Then I discovered Amishland seeds (or something like that, I forget the name) but they have an Oh My Aching Back pepper mix for 2.50$, could have as many as 20 amish varieties all with cool stories behind them... That sounded reasonable, so I ordered the 50 seed pack and recieved almost 150 seeds. Those are currently germinating on top of a speaker beneath the flourescent light.

About that time I discovered I had an advantage when it came to hybridization... Living here in sunny florida, I can get two, and possibly even three seasons in each year (it froze 3 nights in total last winter)... Which meant a long multi-year process would take much less time... So I started doing research into hybridization. I decided to cross my Habanero with my Thai Sun hoping for a couple of specific traits to pop up. These seeds are currently germinating along with some of the others. I then learned of making graft hybrids. My first attempt (of four thus far) was to graft a Trinidad Scorpion (scion) onto my orange Hab (host). Following the protocals of the mentor graft method (but lacking grafting tape) I used packaging tape turned inside out (so the sticky parts only touched the tape, not the plants). I did not yet know the full difficulty that one has when grafting pepper plants. This first graft failed. The second graft failed. But my third graft (approach grafted a scotch Bonnet onto an orange Hab - used these because I have the most of them, and if they failed, I had lots of seed/seedlings to replace them with) seemed to be successfull. the scion had begun growing a new leaf, and the host had put out blooms (which I snipped). However I left the project too low to the ground (apparently) and my neighbors Dog mangled it badly... It might or might not survive, however after discovering this, I approach grafted a Scotch Bonnet onto an unknown Annum - likely a Cayenne. The second graft is doing well - but it remains to be seen if it will take. It has only been two days thus far.

I had two Chile de Arbols come up today, which is faster than any of the amish (or my hybrid) seeds germinated. I started this last batch in a combination of peat pellets, and the starter trays that require soil on the 25th of Feb. I currently have expanded my varieties to nearly 100, and am expecting to plant about 400 before I finish.

I live in an area that is extremely high in lime. IE you can't dig without pulling up huge lime rocks, or hitting even larger lime stone beds. With that in mind I needed to work to bring my PH down. I picked up a bale of peat moss (low ph), coffee grounds (un used), hard wood ash (burned oak to get this), Black Cow, Egg Shells, and my sister found a 3cu bale of perlite in the garage of the house she purchased... She had no use for it, so I put a good bit of this in as well (after tilling the rest Together, I ran the hoe the length of where I would be planting, and placed a little of the stuff across the bottom of the hoe'd row, then pushed the dirt back over.... for each 10x20 garden, I mixed in 1 cu ft of Peat, 12 40lb bags of composted black cow, about 1/8th inch covering of oak tree ashes, 1lb of coffee (sprinkled everywhere), and of course the perlite rows. My PH meter says that the soil is now 6.8, and I am hoping it holds. I suspect the egg shells aren't needed in light of all the lime in the soil... But I save and use them any way.

I did have one frost AFTER I had planted about 65 plants... I really didn't have anything to protect them with, so I cut down a few pieces of Bamboo and made a bivouac with a sheet of painters drop cloth (the edges held down by rocks). It worked out pretty well, except the wind blew a section of the middle back and exposted 3 plants to the elements. all but one look like they will make it. Here is the bivouac:
anti-frost-bivouac.jpg

. Finally I noticed that I have pods on one of the plants that I started back in October. It is nearly twice as big as anything around it. I think it could be a hybrid because of its speed of growth, however, I'm told that cayennes are just a particularly quick growing variety. I took the rest of these pictures on my iPhone, so please excuse the depth of field... Any way, here is my first Pod - I saw it on the 25th of Feb.
hybrid.jpg

hybrid-pod-e1330571791358.jpg

See the size difference between this plant, and the plants around it?

The pod is probably 10x larger now, nearly the diameter of my pinky. and around 4 inches long.

*UPDATE 3/8 updated grow list*

Grow LIst:

C. Chinense
Aji Limo Rojo
Paper Lantern
Billy Goat (habanero type)
Bahamanian Goat
Dominican Red Habanero
Peruvian White Habanero
PI 260595 (Chinense)
Mayan Red
Habanero de Arbol
7pot BrainStrain
7pot White
7pot Red
NMSU Bhut Jalokia
Yellow Fatalii
7pot Primo
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Orange Hab
Tazmanian Hab
Datil
White Hab
Bhut Jolokia / Naga Morrich
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion
Jamaican Chocolate Hab
Red Savina
Scotch Bonnet
7pot Douglah
T.S. Moruga Blend (brain strain?)
Trinidad Perfume
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Dorset Naga
Hinkelhatz (red)
Hot Lemon Hab
Red Congo Trinidad
Red Savina

C.Annum
sonoran Chiltepin (hand picked in Mexico)
Habanero de arbol
japones
Hawaiian sweet hot (possibly Wailua)
Pulla Pepper (bolivia or Brazil)
Sunset (F1 hybrid)
Cascabel Chili (rattle, mirasol, bola, Ball. From Mexico)
Thai Super Hot (hybrid F1)
Florida Wild Bird
Numex Lumbre - 1-5k scu
Giant Sweet (bell?)
Numex Big Jim Legacy
Sandia A -Anaheim Type
Santa fe grande - usa
Ciliegia Piccante (Baccio di Satana aka Satans Kiss) - Italy
Chilhuacle Rojo (Chilguacle) Pablano type - Mexico
Black Scorpion Tounge
Peter
Wild Texas (Tomato? from the swap)
Fresno
Serrano
Cosa Arrugada
Big Dipper (bell)
Big early Jalapenos,
Long Red Thin Cayenne
Thai Sun
Chimaya
Pretty in Purple
Black Pearl
Purple Glow in the Dark (possibly the same as black pearl)
Yatzy aka Yatsufusa
Chili de Arbol
Anaheim
Cubanelle
Firecracker Piquin
Peppermania's Big Ass Cayenne AKA Pepper Joe’s Cayenne
Golden Cayenne
Orange Cayenne
Mulato Isleno
Punjabi (Cayenne type I think)
Hot Banana Pepper
Sweet Banana Pepper
Big Bertha
Super Heavy Weight
Bangalore Whippets Tail
Las Cruces
Filius Blue
WM Brand Chili Peppers
WM Brand Mammoth Jalapeno
Pimiento Pepper
Chiltepin
Hot Cow Horn
Pablano
var. glabriusculum
Texas Chiltepin

C. Fructescense
Tabasco
Kung Pao
Pimiento de Padron
Thai Long
Wild Grove
Guam Boonie (guam)
zimbabwe Birds Eye Chili

C. Baccatum
Aji Yellow (Peruvian)
Bolivian Wild (TALL)
Inca Red Drop (peru)
Aji Lemon Drop (aka Kellu Uchu - Long Season. Origin: Peru)
Birgits Locoto (Bolivia)

C. Galapagoense

C. Chacoense
Unknown Cultivar

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

Confirmed Hybrids
Thai Sun x Orange Habanero F1
Orange Hab x Scotch Bonnet F1
7pot Douglah x Butch T Scorpion F2
Thai Super Hot F1 (parents unknown - seed swap)
Sunset F1 hybrid (Parents unknown - Seed swap)

**After the 3/8 update I now have 108 varieties**

The list is bound to grow! I have a number of varieties on their way that are not yet listed (but I will update the post as they arrive).

Also non-pepper plants I have green beans, canteloup, coriander, watermellon, summer squash, kale, lettuce, eggplant, and tomatos.

Edit: Changed tags, updated growlist 3-8

Awesome JCR! thinks have really gone into high gear down there! Great harvests! That cayenne doesnt look like any one ive ever seen. I would think its gotta be crossed with something. But doesnt matter it looks saweeeeet!

Thats kinda what I was thinking... I'm going to try it tonight with my Pizza :) Hoping for hotter than your average hab, but with a hint of Chinense flavor.

Thanks for the compliments!! Excited to be getting ready for the first big harvest.

Man, finally made it back here...that garden is lookin awesome.

[background=rgb(255, 250, 242)]"Oh and how may hands do you have:)"..... :rofl:guess you've really gone forward with the grafting haven't you????[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 250, 242)]Great looking harvests, were those "holy moly's"?[/background]

Thanks man :) Both halves are now weeded in the weedy looking one, and now its time to weed the big one again, though its not as over grown as the one with the crab grass. Yes, I've been thinking about adding a fourth, and maybe even a fifth arm... Know anyone who wouldn't mind being the scion?

Hmm - don't think so, but it might be... its REALLY mild. It came from Hinterlands Seed... They suck. Flat out. Good customer service, BAD seed quality. They popped well, but msot of them have been orange hab, and cayenne regardless of what I actually purchased.

Looking good JSS. Funny how we pray for rain then it comes in bunches and we wish it would go away. Just can't please us chiliheads. I feel you pain on the maters. Since the rain mine ain't what they used to be. Keep on harvesting :onfire:

Yeah no doubt Jamie! Its been raining cats and dogs... Any of your plants turning yellow yet? I have a few that have gone from dark green to light green... No end in sight for the rain (50%+ chance of rain until at least monday). Hopefully you don't have as bad of a forecast as I do RE the rain.

Weird looking pods indeed, Ken. Did you receive anything yet :)?

Not quite yet! But I'm hoping... No mail today, I'm guessing it may because of the anniversary of D-Day (world war 2) or else it was just an off day for mail, and no one on my street got any. Will check again tomorrow :) Excited to be receiving them!

Wow, JCR, your garden beds are looking just awesome!
And those bowls of chiles? To die for! Sorry about all the
rain you are getting. Hope your lot has good drainage!

Great pod shots!

Thanks Paul! Drainage isn't bad, but its not great either... The land slopes down gently and puddles in my side yard where my drain field and septic are (someone didn't put a lot of thought into that). If it rains alot, it might well run back into the canal, the side yard almost never gets more than an inch or two of standing water, and its usually gone in a day. Right now, no standing water, so thats a blessing. That said, the plants are turning a lighter shade of green... So I'm a little worried... Might throw some fertilizer out the next time it rains, as its been a while for that... but I'm almost certain its the rain causing the issues.

Yup, thats the biggest serving bowl I could find... Borrowed it from my mother, she uses it for salads when everyone comes over @ thanksgiving. that one bowl full covered my big smoker... I took a picture, but my phone is being difficult... I'll post it in a bit. For now I'm off to have some pizza though. Maybe by then my phone will be more agreeable.

Thanks for stopping by all!

3b101bbf.jpg

My uncle's smoker (he lives next door).

2783ea09.jpg

my uncles smoker on chilies.... Any questions?

Sorry for the cheesey reference.

haha will do Paul, I loaded up with smoked hab powder... That stuff is brutal to make indoors... But its been raining, so I did it any way (at my parents) lets just say they were not to thrilled... Until I left some of my milder powder with them haha.

Wow, that look great, jcr. How much powder will you get
out of those peppers? How many pounds of pods do you
think you used?

hot sauce!

Looking at making between 1 and 2 gallons of it. Maybe 5 lbs of peppers?

Going to try to get two gallons out of it... the first one will be my usual recipe, and the second will be a fermented batch.

If I powdered it, it would be less than a pound... maybe 5 or 6 oz?

Wow, 5 lbs of peppers makes less than a half pound of powder.
At that rate, I may be able to grind up a tablespoon by the end
of the summer! But it will be a kick A$$ tablespoon of powder!

But, two gallons of salsa sounds pretty good, too! Enjoy, bro!

What's the point of the fermentation? I have seen folks on the
forum mention that before.

From what I understand, most of the Over the Counter type hot sauce is made that way, I think it has to do with being able to make large batches that are quite uniform... Every pepper is different as you know, which can make creating hot sauce that tastes consistent over time difficult.

I don't sell it, and I don't intend to, but I found a recipe that should make sure the PH is always right...Both of which are more than I can say for my current method. I loath the taste of vinegar in hot sauce now... so it might not work, I might just need to make a bunch of small batches that I freeze for a time, or else buy a pressure canner... I've also been kicking around the idea of making some dill pickled peppers... Cooking them affects the taste... Currently I take 3 cups of dill pickel juice, a bunch of fresh coriander/cilantro, garlic, olive oil, black pepper, onion powder, and a single dill pickle, fill the rest of the space in the jar with hot peppers (habs :D) blend until smooth, and refrigerate... The downside is that I don't know the PH, and don't have an inexpensive and reliable way to test the PH, Six months after making it, I tested a jar last week without getting sick, but that doesn't mean the PH is right, it could just be that I was lucky and didn't encounter any botulism along the way. Botulism is deadly, pernicious, and almost impossible to kill shy of pressure cooking (IIRC the Botulism has to top 4 or 500F before you kill it...) or drowning it in acid (IE vinegar).

Capsacin has anti-bacterial properties... BUT no one knows if its enough to kill off botulism or not. So I don't want to risk it, much less make my family risk it.... I've read of people using vit C (ascorbic acid) and Orange/lemon/etc as a replacement for vinegar. So I might try one of those down the road... We'll see.

Lastly, I pulled the plug on my hydro experiment, I was losing the plant! So I decided to put it in soil. It looks bad. I'm going to dump it, clean it, and use the x-nutes care package I got in the mail and see if that is any better.

Lastly, I pulled the plug on my hydro experiment, I was losing the plant! So I decided to put it in soil. It looks bad. I'm going to dump it, clean it, and use the x-nutes care package I got in the mail and see if that is any better.
Sorry to hear the hydro went wrong. Any ideas?

It could have been the nutes, the rain (rain pushed it under the perlite, underwater for a night), might have been the heat... Could have been a combo of all three. The plant is stunted, and sad looking... But like I said, I'll clean it out, and try again with different nutes, and a different plant. Now that I have that heatsync, and some ideas for insulating the bucket, I think I can manage the heat (though it will still be outside the ideal range).

Florida heat + humidity + bubble bucket = happy algae. After I took the plant out, within a day or two, algae was growing like crazy.

OH its official! I got into grad school... I'll be moving to NC in august. Classes start aug 20th.

3b101bbf.jpg

My uncle's smoker (he lives next door).

2783ea09.jpg

my uncles smoker on chilies.... Any questions?

Sorry for the cheesey reference.

haha will do Paul, I loaded up with smoked hab powder... That stuff is brutal to make indoors... But its been raining, so I did it any way (at my parents) lets just say they were not to thrilled... Until I left some of my milder powder with them haha.

that smoker is pretty damn cool and those peppers will be good as hell after they get smoked...how long u smoke your peppers?and what kind of wood u using?

I like it too... Big enough to cook 90lbs of ribs on for the family reunion. I LIKE to smoke them till they are completely dehydrated. I don't always do that though. The smoker is going to Ocala tomorrow and will be there until after the 4th July (uncles lake house, and big family party that weekend... his birthday is that day, PLUS the nations birthday). So this batch was on there for about 8 hours give or take.

I got the fire going with pitch pine... Put a couple pieces of Oak on, and let the fire heat up for a bit (until the pine was gone) because all the rest of my wood was wet... Once I had a good hot bed of coals, I put the peppers on, and brought over a bunch of citrus wood (orange and cumquat). I used that for the actual smoking of the peppers. By the end, the ones closest to the fire could have been used to make a powder, and the rest were kind of roasted, but sufficiently smokey tasting for my ends.

My uncle has another - smaller - steel drum just like the smoker, but that hasn't been cut, or turned into a smoker yet.... I might ask him about converting it, and giving it to me, so that I can use it, and keep him supplied with hot sauce...

Wow, 5 lbs of peppers makes less than a half pound of powder.
At that rate, I may be able to grind up a tablespoon by the end
of the summer! But it will be a kick A$$ tablespoon of powder!

But, two gallons of salsa sounds pretty good, too! Enjoy, bro!

What's the point of the fermentation? I have seen folks on the
forum mention that before.
That's about right...I think I got 6 oz out of 4 lbs of manzanos. That powder is denser than others though. The Jals are the same way. Manzano/Jalapeno powder vs Hab or cayenne in the the same size baggie I get .75 oz of the Manzano or Jal and only .65 oz of the others. Same bulk though. Pretty depressing when you reduce a huge bowl of pods to a small tupperware container of powder.

Looking great JSS nice freakin harvest! I always halve the pods before I smoke them, they pick up more flavor in less time that way! Gotta let me know how your sauce turns out.

Shane

Yeah, I cut about half of them up, used my "hot" hand to move hair out of my face, and ended up getting the stuff in my eye... So I decided heck with it, I'll just cook them the way they are. Most of the Jals were untouched. The handful of Habs at this end are un-touched, and the amish apples at the back as well. All the ones I cut open, were also de-seeded, and the seeds are drying on plates in my window sill.

Thanks! I think its going to be small compared to the next batch... the rain we've been having has inspired the plants to hurry up because if they don't they'll die childless.
This has made half of my bhuts start to turn red, and scores upon scores of habaneros and cayennes... I started to pick them, was overwhelmed and stopped... I'll get my helper out there tomorrow or the next day during a break in the rain, and see how many more we pull in... One hab had tipped over, and was lying on the ground covered in pods... easily two dozen... its staked up now... But in desperate need of harvesting.

My manzanos popped - 8 of them! I'm trying to keep them in partial shade until they are bigger and I can plant them out. Smokemaster says full sun, but big planters... I have them in plastic cups... So not much soil, which means lots of chances to cook them before they are big enough to plant out.

My uncle has an electric one from Cabellas, it works pretty well I guess, but nothing like the big wood one I use for the peppers. I've only ever seen him use it once, while his daughter was in town (who gave him the smoker), prior to, and after her leaving, he's used the big wood one. I have a small bullet shaped charbroil brand smoker (not electric). It works, but don't plan on smoking a lot at once.

is it better to smoke something if its not electric?im not really good in smoking things so i have no idea which is the best

I've never used an electric one... It seems to me that the electric one would be kinda similar to a giant dehydrator? But with a wood chip option.

You won't have to start, and tend a fire. That would be a plus for some. I dunno, you'd have to ask someone with more experience with electric smokers... I only know what I noticed about my uncles habits RE his smokers... He has the choice and goes with the non-electric one.

I've never used an electric one... It seems to me that the electric one would be kinda similar to a giant dehydrator? But with a wood chip option.

You won't have to start, and tend a fire. That would be a plus for some. I dunno, you'd have to ask someone with more experience with electric smokers... I only know what I noticed about my uncles habits RE his smokers... He has the choice and goes with the non-electric one.

ok cool..thanks, i think i have a coworker that has a smoker but don't know if his using fire or electric ill ask him this weekend

That sounds like a good plan!

I know they aren't cheap... My bullet smoker I picked up for 2$ at a garage sale... but it needed some rehabilitation before I could use it. Still has its own set of personality quirks... Like every now and then it drops a whole rack of chilis into the fire.

Unforgivable.

That sounds like a good plan!

I know they aren't cheap... My bullet smoker I picked up for 2$ at a garage sale... but it needed some rehabilitation before I could use it. Still has its own set of personality quirks... Like every now and then it drops a whole rack of chilis into the fire.

Unforgivable.
he better work this weekend and not call n sick
try put some foil below it..thats super cheap for $2, i should start checking garage sales also here there's a ton in my area since military people tend to leave or deploy

Back