• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JCR glog - re-loaded.

This is late in coming, and I don't have pictures for everything... So bear with me.

Iive in zone 9b, and we had quite a mild winter, so I started germinating seeds indoors in october. I have a desk with a hutch and a built in Flourescent light... I also have a surround sound system with rather tall speakers that leave about 5 inches between the light in the hutch and my jiffy green house. I started 10 Orange Habs, 10 Long Thin Cayenne, 10 Thai Sun, and 10 Big Early Jalapenos, the seed was not isolated and was collected off my plants from last year. The cayenne was a sad plant, and only produced 3 or 4 pods all summer... The Habanero beside it produced enough to make gallons of puree'd Habs that I love to eat by the spoon full. The Jalapeno likewise produced pound upon pound of pods. I selected the biggest pods from each and saved the seed.

All 40 seeds came up, and this being the first year I've grown peppers out from seed, I was unprepared with something to transplant them into. I called up a few friends and had them save 2 ltr bottles, milk jugs, orange juice containers (plastic and sealed cardboard) and any other container in that size that they would be willing to spare. I also went to biglots and bought a ton of styrofoam cups at 51 cups for 1$. By the time they were ready for transplant I had aquired about 100 assorted bottles in the 2ltr and half gallon to 1 gallon range. So I ordered more seeds from amazon (yeah yeah I know... I ordered from Hinterlands, and it remains to be seen if they grow true or not), PepperJoe, regal seeds (free from posting links on facebook) and picked up some burpee bell peppers. My mother came over to visit one day, and I was re-potting my seedlings... Up till this point I had been using a map to know which seedling was which. Mom offered to help, and within just a few minutes I no longer knew which was which... All I know for sure, is that they are either Jalapenos, Cayenne, or Habaneros.

Feeling pretty confident, I picked up a couple of 72 cell jiffy green houses, and loaded them up with seeds. I had fantastic luck with the Trinidad Scorpions, and Bhut Jolokias (red) but terrible luck with the Chocolate Habs, 7pot, and a few others. I contacted the vendor, and was promptly re-shipped a new batch of seed with a BUNCH of bonus seed. That was about the time I discovered Garden Web, and began trading seeds. This too brought up my variety count.

Currently I have 48/50 varieties germinated at about an 70% success rate (including the bad seed from the one vendor, which for giggles is still in the jiffy green house on the speaker under the flourescent tube). Currently I have 141 plants in the ground, and another 50 or 60 in re-used foam cups.

Then I discovered Amishland seeds (or something like that, I forget the name) but they have an Oh My Aching Back pepper mix for 2.50$, could have as many as 20 amish varieties all with cool stories behind them... That sounded reasonable, so I ordered the 50 seed pack and recieved almost 150 seeds. Those are currently germinating on top of a speaker beneath the flourescent light.

About that time I discovered I had an advantage when it came to hybridization... Living here in sunny florida, I can get two, and possibly even three seasons in each year (it froze 3 nights in total last winter)... Which meant a long multi-year process would take much less time... So I started doing research into hybridization. I decided to cross my Habanero with my Thai Sun hoping for a couple of specific traits to pop up. These seeds are currently germinating along with some of the others. I then learned of making graft hybrids. My first attempt (of four thus far) was to graft a Trinidad Scorpion (scion) onto my orange Hab (host). Following the protocals of the mentor graft method (but lacking grafting tape) I used packaging tape turned inside out (so the sticky parts only touched the tape, not the plants). I did not yet know the full difficulty that one has when grafting pepper plants. This first graft failed. The second graft failed. But my third graft (approach grafted a scotch Bonnet onto an orange Hab - used these because I have the most of them, and if they failed, I had lots of seed/seedlings to replace them with) seemed to be successfull. the scion had begun growing a new leaf, and the host had put out blooms (which I snipped). However I left the project too low to the ground (apparently) and my neighbors Dog mangled it badly... It might or might not survive, however after discovering this, I approach grafted a Scotch Bonnet onto an unknown Annum - likely a Cayenne. The second graft is doing well - but it remains to be seen if it will take. It has only been two days thus far.

I had two Chile de Arbols come up today, which is faster than any of the amish (or my hybrid) seeds germinated. I started this last batch in a combination of peat pellets, and the starter trays that require soil on the 25th of Feb. I currently have expanded my varieties to nearly 100, and am expecting to plant about 400 before I finish.

I live in an area that is extremely high in lime. IE you can't dig without pulling up huge lime rocks, or hitting even larger lime stone beds. With that in mind I needed to work to bring my PH down. I picked up a bale of peat moss (low ph), coffee grounds (un used), hard wood ash (burned oak to get this), Black Cow, Egg Shells, and my sister found a 3cu bale of perlite in the garage of the house she purchased... She had no use for it, so I put a good bit of this in as well (after tilling the rest Together, I ran the hoe the length of where I would be planting, and placed a little of the stuff across the bottom of the hoe'd row, then pushed the dirt back over.... for each 10x20 garden, I mixed in 1 cu ft of Peat, 12 40lb bags of composted black cow, about 1/8th inch covering of oak tree ashes, 1lb of coffee (sprinkled everywhere), and of course the perlite rows. My PH meter says that the soil is now 6.8, and I am hoping it holds. I suspect the egg shells aren't needed in light of all the lime in the soil... But I save and use them any way.

I did have one frost AFTER I had planted about 65 plants... I really didn't have anything to protect them with, so I cut down a few pieces of Bamboo and made a bivouac with a sheet of painters drop cloth (the edges held down by rocks). It worked out pretty well, except the wind blew a section of the middle back and exposted 3 plants to the elements. all but one look like they will make it. Here is the bivouac:
anti-frost-bivouac.jpg

. Finally I noticed that I have pods on one of the plants that I started back in October. It is nearly twice as big as anything around it. I think it could be a hybrid because of its speed of growth, however, I'm told that cayennes are just a particularly quick growing variety. I took the rest of these pictures on my iPhone, so please excuse the depth of field... Any way, here is my first Pod - I saw it on the 25th of Feb.
hybrid.jpg

hybrid-pod-e1330571791358.jpg

See the size difference between this plant, and the plants around it?

The pod is probably 10x larger now, nearly the diameter of my pinky. and around 4 inches long.

*UPDATE 3/8 updated grow list*

Grow LIst:

C. Chinense
Aji Limo Rojo
Paper Lantern
Billy Goat (habanero type)
Bahamanian Goat
Dominican Red Habanero
Peruvian White Habanero
PI 260595 (Chinense)
Mayan Red
Habanero de Arbol
7pot BrainStrain
7pot White
7pot Red
NMSU Bhut Jalokia
Yellow Fatalii
7pot Primo
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Orange Hab
Tazmanian Hab
Datil
White Hab
Bhut Jolokia / Naga Morrich
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion
Jamaican Chocolate Hab
Red Savina
Scotch Bonnet
7pot Douglah
T.S. Moruga Blend (brain strain?)
Trinidad Perfume
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Dorset Naga
Hinkelhatz (red)
Hot Lemon Hab
Red Congo Trinidad
Red Savina

C.Annum
sonoran Chiltepin (hand picked in Mexico)
Habanero de arbol
japones
Hawaiian sweet hot (possibly Wailua)
Pulla Pepper (bolivia or Brazil)
Sunset (F1 hybrid)
Cascabel Chili (rattle, mirasol, bola, Ball. From Mexico)
Thai Super Hot (hybrid F1)
Florida Wild Bird
Numex Lumbre - 1-5k scu
Giant Sweet (bell?)
Numex Big Jim Legacy
Sandia A -Anaheim Type
Santa fe grande - usa
Ciliegia Piccante (Baccio di Satana aka Satans Kiss) - Italy
Chilhuacle Rojo (Chilguacle) Pablano type - Mexico
Black Scorpion Tounge
Peter
Wild Texas (Tomato? from the swap)
Fresno
Serrano
Cosa Arrugada
Big Dipper (bell)
Big early Jalapenos,
Long Red Thin Cayenne
Thai Sun
Chimaya
Pretty in Purple
Black Pearl
Purple Glow in the Dark (possibly the same as black pearl)
Yatzy aka Yatsufusa
Chili de Arbol
Anaheim
Cubanelle
Firecracker Piquin
Peppermania's Big Ass Cayenne AKA Pepper Joe’s Cayenne
Golden Cayenne
Orange Cayenne
Mulato Isleno
Punjabi (Cayenne type I think)
Hot Banana Pepper
Sweet Banana Pepper
Big Bertha
Super Heavy Weight
Bangalore Whippets Tail
Las Cruces
Filius Blue
WM Brand Chili Peppers
WM Brand Mammoth Jalapeno
Pimiento Pepper
Chiltepin
Hot Cow Horn
Pablano
var. glabriusculum
Texas Chiltepin

C. Fructescense
Tabasco
Kung Pao
Pimiento de Padron
Thai Long
Wild Grove
Guam Boonie (guam)
zimbabwe Birds Eye Chili

C. Baccatum
Aji Yellow (Peruvian)
Bolivian Wild (TALL)
Inca Red Drop (peru)
Aji Lemon Drop (aka Kellu Uchu - Long Season. Origin: Peru)
Birgits Locoto (Bolivia)

C. Galapagoense

C. Chacoense
Unknown Cultivar

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

Confirmed Hybrids
Thai Sun x Orange Habanero F1
Orange Hab x Scotch Bonnet F1
7pot Douglah x Butch T Scorpion F2
Thai Super Hot F1 (parents unknown - seed swap)
Sunset F1 hybrid (Parents unknown - Seed swap)

**After the 3/8 update I now have 108 varieties**

The list is bound to grow! I have a number of varieties on their way that are not yet listed (but I will update the post as they arrive).

Also non-pepper plants I have green beans, canteloup, coriander, watermellon, summer squash, kale, lettuce, eggplant, and tomatos.

Edit: Changed tags, updated growlist 3-8

Beautiful shot of the lake! Sounds like your heat was a hit - nice work! How is your garden doing in it's recovery?

Well, well, well, look who's at the top of the page again. I suppose you "didn't realize it" again? I don't know what you're up to Shane, but people are on to you.

You're growing the wrong "crops" if you want to be able to afford that! Nice view!

Yeah no kidding... fortunately I got some magic bean seeds this year... Also a few for a money tree, and some from a tree that produces gold bars by the truck load. Hope they germinate.

Thanks! I enjoyed the view as well!

Beautiful shot of the lake! Sounds like your heat was a hit - nice work! How is your garden doing in it's recovery?

Well, well, well, look who's at the top of the page again. I suppose you "didn't realize it" again? I don't know what you're up to Shane, but people are on to you.

Thanks Brother! Yeah they did enjoy it for the most part :). One cousin wondered why it wasn't as hot as "daves insanity". I made the obvious point about it tasting like toilet water.... They concurred *chuckle*. I told them that no one really eats that stuff, its more of a gag sauce than anything.

hah! you know, I heard he's trying to take over the internet... one glog at a time.

I don't think I mind. :)

JCR love the lake shot! looks like good duckin waters to me. the two different pics of your garden that went for a swim look to tell a pretty good recovery story. Hope your others make as good progress as that one.

Wow, 10 days since my last update... Well the biggest news is I am moving for NC in 12 days! :)

Leaving my garden in the hands of my familly, and heading off to Seminary.

Everything still looks rough, but its all weeded, and has been fertilized. Its either going to make it or not. Some of them look like sticks at the moment.

At this point though, with me leaving, there isn't much more I can do to help them, they will either sink or swim (swimming would have been a usefull skill for them during Debbie!)

Hey, JCR, glad I caught you before you took off for NC! Your
harvests are nothing short of incredible, my friend. Really sorry
to hear about your go around with Debbie. You are leaving your
garden in as good a shape as could be expected in the circumstances
you are in; maybe no more hurricanes and your garden will finish strong!
Good luck in the sem; hope it is everything you want it to be.

Take care, my friend.

Paul

Hey congrats again on beginning seminary! I'm excited for you, but what a bummer to have to leave the garden now. Maybe you can get something started at your new place in a pot to overwinter :think:

You should stack up a few flat rate boxes pre-addressed for your garden helper to throw some garden goodies in from time to time! Good luck at school! Hope you can throw together a few updates before you head out!

Six days left and things are crazy busy!

Managed to get everything weeded once more (except the corn) before I left...

The bugs have seemingly died down, but not without having to go against my preferences and sevin dust the crap out of everything.

Kind of looked like snow everywhere... took like 4 bottles. But I got ahead of the stink bugs, and leaf footed bugs... With the daily rains the stuff wasn't up there for long. But it was apparently long enough.

I waited about a week after the dusting to harvest - bottle said three days. I got about another thousand pods (987) - they were all small and discolored presumably from the rain. they are in the oven as we speak.

My little garden is going to get moved into the bigger garden by my helper after I leave. She'd rather move 65 plants than have to remember three places to water. Not that my sprinklers have been on in months... but hey, whatever floats her boat.

The FRB thing is a great idea shane :). I'm going to make sure she's stocked and ask her to send a few boxes.

I taught her how to make pickles, hot sauce, fermented hot sauce, and powder... She's enjoying it.

I'm taking most of my powder with me.

I'll probably only be there 4 months at a time? But we'll see how it goes. If I find a good job, thats flexable (part time during school FT between semesters) than I may be abe to stay up there year around and come home for a vacation and holidays. I'm anticipating working on campus though. which means no work between semesters.

I do plan to germinate some stuff up there, I've never been too successfull in containers... My container plants would start to look bad, and I'd put them in the ground and they would perk right up.

Fertilized yesterday.

I've lost a total of 50 plants now. I counted 350 when i was picking and had 400 to start with.

The garden that went under water lost about 8, the rest came from the big garden. Mostly were plants that scoville gave me. But a few of them were ones I started.

I got to spread the heat to some local chiliheads recently. My friends brother had some (what they called) ecuadorian insanity peppers that they brought me claiming they were the hottest pepper in the world.

Looked like a red hab to me. small, hab shaped, red, kind of fruity chinense flavor... nothing too special. I gave them some red and yellow bhuts, and some 7 pots.

I got a phone call from my friend "what the heck did you do to my brother?" "I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital".

*chuckle*

I said oh yeah? did he like the peppers I sent? "yep, he's saved the seeds and will be growing them out next year!".

I got a pair of winn dixie bags of "insanity chilis" in return.

I powdered them. They are pretty good powdered.

Yesterday my sister called me up. Her ex husband had been trying to tell her that the red savina habanero was the hottest pepper in the world. She kept telling him it was the ghost pepper. so she called me to back her up. I explained about the Butch T, and the Moruga scorpion, and how "the" ghost pepper came from india, whereas the others come from Trinidad.

She was like "so its the Butch T ghost pepper thats the hottest then. lol

I eventually got it sorted. She was happy to know she was closer to accurate than he was.

hummm... thats about it. I need to take some pictures before I go and get them uploaded... It just seems like there are not enough hours in the day...

People wanting to hang out before I go, things to pack, or clean, or clean and then pack. some of you know what I mean :)

I've been thinking about just getting everything packed up in the truck, and staying at my parents (two houses down) until its time to go... living out of a duffle or something. We shall see!

OH

Still no hooks on the galapagoense pods I started 3 weeks ago. Keeping them moist, and indoors at my parents... they keep their house about 75 year around, so it seemed better than my place which is 78 when I'm here, and 400 when I'm not.

By the way!

Thank you all for the well wishes :)

I will try to spread the heat at seminary as well!!

maybe I can get a few of them growing hot peppers in their dorm rooms:)

Bon Voyage, JCR! Sounds like you have your ducks in a row.
Careful spreading the heat at the seminary; they may think you
are from 'the other place'!

Oh, you devil :lol:

Take care, brother.

Seminary?! Whhaattt. Priesthood ?! I had a couple buddies a lot younger than me decided to enter the seminary right outta HS. One don't know if he pulled thru. One I know is already a priest at 28. Good luck with your calling. Feel free to have that PayPal acct open for us so we can dad your helper money for the SFRBs. Hehee. Get an aerogarden. It'll help the success with container plant
Denniz

Yup seminary - getting my masters of divinity :)

Not quite a priest, in my faith tradition we have pastors, but I suppose its a similar role. I'll be a church planter.

Will do brother :) paypal is JCR.Chilis@gmail.com

Those aerogardens have seemed to do pretty well!

Yup seminary - getting my masters of divinity :)

Not quite a priest, in my faith tradition we have pastors, but I suppose its a similar role. I'll be a church planter.

Will do brother :) paypal is JCR.Chilis@gmail.com

Those aerogardens have seemed to do pretty well!

btw after checking out your sites.. i love the THP name.... finally hit me when i read it...

haha its cryptic enough that many people don't get it, but obvious enough once you figure it out :) Its also NEVER EVER taken (unless I'm already a member there).

Yeah definitely! I'll be out in wake forest, which is not too awful far from Durham... I have family in cary, and holly springs... :)

well its a significant degree, most likely I'll be there for about 5 years...

it will depend a lot on whether I'm employed on campus or not as well - if so, then I'll be coming home to FL in between, if not I'll be coming home for holidays and such.

Well folks, its well past over due for me to update this post.

My move was completed successfully, and I finished the matriculation process. But then got word my grandfather had passed away. Drove to FL, attended the funeral, drove back today. I'm exhausted, so this will probably stay brief.

I did pick up some of my seeds from home... I'm planning to grow some hot peppers on my window sill, I brought some Jonah, Barrackapore, and Primo seeds!
Since its so late in the season, I suppose I'm starting them for next year. They should be early producers though, which is always fun.

Ken

Well folks, its well past over due for me to update this post.

My move was completed successfully, and I finished the matriculation process. But then got word my grandfather had passed away. Drove to FL, attended the funeral, drove back today. I'm exhausted, so this will probably stay brief.

I did pick up some of my seeds from home... I'm planning to grow some hot peppers on my window sill, I brought some Jonah, Barrackapore, and Primo seeds!
Since its so late in the season, I suppose I'm starting them for next year. They should be early producers though, which is always fun.

Ken
Sorry to hear about your grandfather, Ken. Hope you catch up
on your sleep, brother. At least you are moved in and matriculated.
Nice collection of seeds for the seminary grow :twisted: that should keep
things cookin' for you and your compadres!

Luck and success to you, my friend.

Sorry to hear about your grandpops and its good to see your back.. cant wait to follow your overwinter grow. good growing to you

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, Ken. Hope you catch up
on your sleep, brother. At least you are moved in and matriculated.
Nice collection of seeds for the seminary grow :twisted: that should keep
things cookin' for you and your compadres!

Luck and success to you, my friend.

Thanks Paul :)

I think its a good start... My roomates are not into spice (yet). One is terrified to death of Jalapenos. he "tried one once" and "burned my mouth for 45 minutes - I couldn't find relief". So I've not been pushing him. The other room mate is a little more adventurous. We just haven't shared a meal yet.

Today I'm going to pick up some plastic cups to begin the germination process :)

Sorry to hear about your grandpops and its good to see your back.. cant wait to follow your overwinter grow. good growing to you

Thanks Sanarda!

Back