• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Don't worry about leggy Tom's Jeff, just cut the leaves off and bury them deep or horizontally, all that will turn to roots. I dug a hole for the 1 gal pots laid them on their side and buried 9-12"s of stem (or trunk) leaving just the crown. That was 6 weeks ago and they're at the top of the cages.

Annuum's you got! One cool thing is they can be spaced really tight.

Good luck and can't wait to see them in the dirt!

Looks great man! Good luck on the hardening. 

Forecast for next week here looks ugly. I'm not putting peppers in dirt until May 24/25. Tomatoes have been getting hardened, they're going out in about 2 weeks, maybe sooner. Damn things are over 2 1/2' tall right now. Think I started them too early, too. (Feb 28th)

Devv said:
Don't worry about leggy Tom's Jeff, just cut the leaves off and bury them deep or horizontally, all that will turn to roots. I dug a hole for the 1 gal pots laid them on their side and buried 9-12"s of stem (or trunk) leaving just the crown. That was 6 weeks ago and they're at the top of the cages.

Annuum's you got! One cool thing is they can be spaced really tight.

Good luck and can't wait to see them in the dirt!

Tomatoes will be deep for sure, but there will still be a lot above ground. Darn things are over 2' tall.

Yep, there is a lot of annuums there, but that includes the sweets too so it isn't as bad as it looks.

TrentL said:
Looks great man! Good luck on the hardening. 

Forecast for next week here looks ugly. I'm not putting peppers in dirt until May 24/25. Tomatoes have been getting hardened, they're going out in about 2 weeks, maybe sooner. Damn things are over 2 1/2' tall right now. Think I started them too early, too. (Feb 28th)

Rain or cool temps? We have some rain coming in, but it is staying warmer so I'm happy. I guess I never mentioned that the deck is covered so rain won't really bother the plants.

That is about the same time I started my tomatoes too. I'd have to go back and check, but I might have even been a week earlier. Mid March next year. Live and learn.

maximumcapsicum said:
Glad your plants are soaking up some sun Jeff. May sure does start comin up fast.

Got to get the grow shelf cleaned up here too.

Yep, a week from today is May 1. Yeah! :dance:
Project tonight is to get the grow room and work shop (impromptu potting up room) cleaned up. There is soil, perlite and pots everywhere.

Jeff H said:

Rain or cool temps? We have some rain coming in, but it is staying warmer so I'm happy. I guess I never mentioned that the deck is covered so rain won't really bother the plants.

That is about the same time I started my tomatoes too. I'd have to go back and check, but I might have even been a week earlier. Mid March next year. Live and learn.

Long range forecast on NOAA and accuweather both show lows next week (and the week after) of 38F here.  You're far enough away from me though, that could be way different for you.

Temps under 40 are really bad for peppers; I had four rows stunted last year from this. Planted 4 rows out first week of May, then we had a pair of < 40 nights... Took forever for them to catch back up to the peppers I planted out two weeks later. I covered them, but it wasn't enough. That cold snap last year really took a nasty toll on them. Massive leaf drop.

Penny said:
Plants are looking great....nice to finally get them outside, and about the tomatoes, do what Devv said. ;)

Thanks Penny. Glad you stopped in. Tomatoes will get buried as deep as I dare. Can't go too low though. The amended soil is only 12" or so. Below that is mostly clay.

TrentL said:

Long range forecast on NOAA and accuweather both show lows next week (and the week after) of 38F here.  You're far enough away from me though, that could be way different for you.

Temps under 40 are really bad for peppers; I had four rows stunted last year from this. Planted 4 rows out first week of May, then we had a pair of < 40 nights... Took forever for them to catch back up to the peppers I planted out two weeks later. I covered them, but it wasn't enough. That cold snap last year really took a nasty toll on them. Massive leaf drop.

Mid 40's and higher here in southern Ohio for the 10 day. Never know though. I have to check the forecast every day since it seems to change. :crazy:
PaulG said:
Grow room looks kind of sad all empty, but it's a good sign that
progress has been made!  Nice grow going there, Jeff!

Thanks Paul. Actually, I'm glad to get them out of the grow room. Just about every plant but a lucky few ended up with broad mites at one time or another during the winter. Getting a little tired of treating them. Let Mother nature deal with it.

Pic of most of the grow after day 1 on the deck. Looking good. A couple of mildly scorched leaves, but most are handling it well. Deck is covered so it gets morning -noon sun only. Plants on the right get more, up to about mid afternoon.
20140424_190920.jpg

Did some cleaning up of the workshop and grow room tonight. potting soil and perlite everywhere. The old Rockwell table saw got wet a few times over the winter as it doubled as a potting table. I dried it up right away, but you can't keep those cast tables from rusting once they get wet. A little steel wool and it will be as good as new.
20140424_190029.jpg

Lastly, since the topic of reloading rooms keeps coming up, I snapped a current pic since I didn't have any since the room was about 3/4 built. Small, but it works. Plenty of room for that Dillon if I get back into competitive pistol, but for Highpower, this is all I need.
20140424_190246.jpg

And, Yes Trent, I usually have a THR tab open too. Don't say much anymore, but I do read up to see what is going on in the community. Scott, you should think about joining too if you aren't already.

Jeff H said:

Lastly, since the topic of reloading rooms keeps coming up, I snapped a current pic since I didn't have any since the room was about 3/4 built. Small, but it works. Plenty of room for that Dillon if I get back into competitive pistol, but for Highpower, this is all I need.
20140424_190246.jpg

And, Yes Trent, I usually have a THR tab open too. Don't say much anymore, but I do read up to see what is going on in the community. Scott, you should think about joining too if you aren't already.

Ooh nice modular set up w/ the tracts and plates for swapping components in and out. If (when?) I ever get around to building my room up the right way I'm going with a similar set up. I'd love to be able to clear the bench without involving wrenches/electric drills to work on guns.

TrentL said:

Ooh nice modular set up w/ the tracts and plates for swapping components in and out. If (when?) I ever get around to building my room up the right way I'm going with a similar set up. I'd love to be able to clear the bench without involving wrenches/electric drills to work on guns.

Yep, I got the idea over on THR years ago. I think the THR thread I posted in your glog has the mart numbers from McMaster.com that I used.

I really like the fact that I can move stuff around or completely take presses off and put them away with just the twist of a couple of wing nuts.

Glad to see the plants outside Jeff!

After seeing your reloading room and Trent's, mine is embarrassing, it turned into the grow room this season. And the wife hijacked my bench for a party, need to get that back in there ;)

Devv said:
Glad to see the plants outside Jeff!

After seeing your reloading room and Trent's, mine is embarrassing, it turned into the grow room this season. And the wife hijacked my bench for a party, need to get that back in there ;)

Ha! You've seen my grow room. That used to be the reloading room, but the plants took over so I had to build another room in the basement for the gun stuff about 2 years ago.

10 day forecast:
Capture.JPG

Temps are looking real good for this time of year but the spring thunder storms are keeping the plants under the covered deck longer than I was hoping. Hopefully by later this week they will be hardened off enough that I can put them all out on the patio until plant out (Mother's day), but for now, they stay on the deck where they get 6 hours or so of morning sun.

I cooked a couple of annuum leaves in the sun yesterday and a few of my rocoto leaves got scorched, but overall the hardening has gone well so far this spring.

The weather looks good enough for Maters and Annuum's if it behaves itself.

I talked to my brother yesterday (Vermillion) and he said they were getting lake effect temps, high of 45°. Looks like your forecast is better than his.

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah the storms can really rough em up. At least they're outside!
They will stay on the covered deck during the rain storms for sure. No damage or casualties from last nights storm at all.

Devv said:
The weather looks good enough for Maters and Annuum's and PUBES if it behaves itself.

I talked to my brother yesterday (Vermillion) and he said they were getting lake effect temps, high of 45°. Looks like your forecast is better than his.

FIFY :D
Yeah, our weather is generally better than up on the lake. After all, we are 250 miles south so that does make a difference too.

Slow day at the office today because of the weather. Causes me to spend money on the way home. I was lucky and today was cheap.
20140428_174152.jpg

Just $7.00 for a giant root pouch. I will only have a few plants in pots this year. Just some overflow annuums I think, but I already know I have 1 more monzano than I have room for in the pube bed, so it needed a new home for the summer.

20140428_174512.jpg

Wow, 15 gallon sure is bigger than 3 gallon. Takes a lot more soil too. A mix of compost, aged manure, peat moss and perlite.

20140428_174951.jpg

All planted and sitting out in the rain getting watered for the 1st time in its new pot. That is going o be heavy when I bring it up on the deck later. :rolleyes:

20140428_175005.jpg

A little too forceful on the hardening. Oh well. It will survive just fine.

Anyone seen new growth that looks like this before?
20140428_185832.jpg

Several of my annuums have it and I'm trying to figure it out. Not really the classic look of over fertilization, but that is what I'm leaning towards. Thoughts?

20140428_185818.jpg

The leaves are bumpy and some are curled up. That is what leads me to think of over fertilization, but the stunted looking new growth has me scratching my head.

Soil is that generic version of Miracle grow soil that HD sells. That plus me watering with diluted hydro nutes every once in a while might be the cause.

Took a moment to find it. Like the linked thread, it may be two issues.

Similar issue

Although the problem cleared up, it didn't seem clear as to the cause. The squiggley vein reminded me, and after conquering self inflicted memory loss, I found the thread :P

miguelovic said:
Took a moment to find it. Like the linked thread, it may be two issues.

Similar issue

Although the problem cleared up, it didn't seem clear as to the cause. The squiggley vein reminded me, and after conquering self inflicted memory loss, I found the thread :P

Good eye and good thought. There is definitely some broad mite damage in those pics, but I (think) I took care of those a few weeks ago. The new leaves are stunted and curling upwards. Mites make them curl down so I don't think they are mites, but I just might spray them again just in case. :rolleyes:

Not too sure though, I've not seen leaves like this before.

Jeff; that's from too much phosphorous - causing a deficiency of Zinc, Coppor, and Iron.

Will cause new leaves to be all sorts of misshapen and funky looking.

ETA:

Jeff - herbicide damage from last year.

VtcPMSZ.jpg

Damn farmers and their crop dusters.

I ended up picking those leaves off; plants grew new ones in fine.

What you are facing though is a nutrient deficiency caused by too much nutrients (yours was from too much phosphorous, mine was from too much nitrogen)

Similar to, but not the same, as what I just faced :)

TrentL said:
Jeff; that's from too much phosphorous - causing a deficiency of Zinc, Coppor, and Iron.

Will cause new leaves to be all sorts of misshapen and funky looking.

ETA:

Jeff - herbicide damage from last year.

VtcPMSZ.jpg

Damn farmers and their crop dusters.

I ended up picking those leaves off; plants grew new ones in fine.

What you are facing though is a nutrient deficiency caused by too much nutrients (yours was from too much phosphorous, mine was from too much nitrogen)

Similar to, but not the same, as what I just faced :)

Certainly could be since zinc and copper deficiencies are reported to do this. Other possibility is calcium deficiency. Brought on by excess nitrogen. Had that going on last year and the leaf damage looks similar.

Whether it is phosphorous or nitrogen that is causing the blockage of uptake of other nutrients, sounds like flushing the pots with rain water might be the ticket. Good thing it is supposed to rain tonight. I think they will be heading out to the patio.

I'll have to do some reading to see if zinc and copper are mobile nutrients. If so, I can correct this. If they are not or if this is a calcium issue, the leaves are done for good. I should probably just clip them off and let new foliage form.

Back