• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Cool that your Home Depot already has their starting products out. I need to swing by there this weekend and see what there is to see.

Your hydro setup is amazing. To produce winter-round greens would be very handy, and it looks nice too.

I try not to buy from Burpee, prices are way out of touch on the things I generally look for.  

Love your plant pipes, very clever!!!

From what I read on the tomatillos is that they can get 5 feet tall.  I will definitely be putting some 4 ft woven wire around these boys.  I think I read they do well in raised beds as well.  I was thinking of a couple plants in a tire lol.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I try not to buy from Burpee, prices are way out of touch on the things I generally look for.  

Love your plant pipes, very clever!!!

From what I read on the tomatillos is that they can get 5 feet tall.  I will definitely be putting some 4 ft woven wire around these boys.  I think I read they do well in raised beds as well.  I was thinking of a couple plants in a tire lol.

You must have a cheap source for seeds Jeff, I didn't think the Burpees seeds I bought from HD were out of line at all. Most stuff was $1.50-$3.00 a pack which seemed average to me. Do share your sources. 

Your tire idea sounds great. I'm planning on putting them in a sq.ft. garden. there is a very good chance that I might be crowding them though. The more I read about them, they can get big. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Cool that your Home Depot already has their starting products out. I need to swing by there this weekend and see what there is to see.

Your hydro setup is amazing. To produce winter-round greens would be very handy, and it looks nice too.
They are just getting their displays out in Ohio. They suck for pepper selection but have decent choices on most other vegetables. 

PaulG said:
The purple tomatillos were great in salsa and pico de gallo.
I gave most of them to my mexican neighbor.
Must resist the urge to add more varieties to the garden. Must resist the urge to add more varieties to the garden.Must resist the urge to add more varieties to the garden.Must resist the urge to add more varieties to the garden.

This might be a futile argument with all the great varieties out there to grow. <sigh>

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Jeff,

Nice hydro setup, beautiful plants!
I want to build a similar one...but not this year. Next year I will get back to your glog for some help. :P
Tomatillos are pretty easy to grow. I was making some salsa verde last year, and it is delicious! You won't rergret growing them, 2 big plants will produce you more then enough pods.

Balázs

Hi Balazs, I'll post as many details on the hydro stuff as I can over the course of the year so if you need to look back for reference, it will be there. 

I love salsa verde. chicken verde, heck anything verde. Not having to buy tomatillos will be nice. I have 4 plants on the list right now. Sounds like I might be drowning in tomatillos in the fall. That isn't really a bad thing though. 
jedisushi06 said:
Cages work great for tomatoes, I kept topping mine and they just kept growing. Gave up after a while! I start some strains I can't buy here and in also buy some for containers. I grew some Siberian strain tomatoes and had great results, lots of organic compost and my own tea feed
I'm still torn between cages and long stakes. Stakes are cheaper and longer so tehy can support larger plants but take more effort. 

Devv said:
OK, now I see I need Tomatillo's, they are great in salsa.

I have tomato cages from the 80's..LOL, the newer ones (I bought 30 last year) are not near as sturdy. The metal is the same gauge but really soft, so watch for that...AND they were even made in the good ole USA.

Ok I had to look at a map, he's way northeast. In fact 300yds from the lake, he's a sailboat nut. I want him to see your glog because of your techniques, excellent season stretching here for sure. He just retired (lucky sob) and bought a small greenhouse and is learning that. Heat, he's dialed in, I sent him seeds last spring and he did well considering he's never grown from seed before. His comment, "damn those peppers grow slow!"

Keep it green Jeff!
Hey Scott, I agree on the tomatillos. They are good in everything though, not just salsa. 

Other than the cold and snow, you brother must love being retired and a sailboat nut that close to the lake. 

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Jeff,

Nice hydro setup, beautiful plants!
I want to build a similar one...but not this year. Next year I will get back to your glog for some help. :P
Tomatillos are pretty easy to grow. I was making some salsa verde last year, and it is delicious! You won't rergret growing them, 2 big plants will produce you more then enough pods.

Balázs
+1 on Balázs comment... 2 Tomatillo plants is plenty for any home gardener. Mine grew to just over 5 feet tall before the weight of the fruit they were carrying pulled down the branches and broke them against the top ring of the tomato cages I had them in. If you don't want that to happen you'll have to stake them. We were having salsa verde several times a week and still giving away pounds to the neighbors.
This pic was taken in late June-early July...
SANY1068_zpsdb4c4f21.jpg

Your hydro rig is doing extremely well brah... Nothing like fresh greens and herbs in mid-winter that you grew yourself!

The pic of the Manzano looks good too. I think it may fork at this node or the next. Cheers!

stickman said:
+1 on Balázs comment... 2 Tomatillo plants is plenty for any home gardener. Mine grew to just over 5 feet tall before the weight of the fruit they were carrying pulled down the branches and broke them against the top ring of the tomato cages I had them in. If you don't want that to happen you'll have to stake them. We were having salsa verde several times a week and still giving away pounds to the neighbors.
This pic was taken in late June-early July...
SANY1068_zpsdb4c4f21.jpg

Your hydro rig is doing extremely well brah... Nothing like fresh greens and herbs in mid-winter that you grew yourself!

The pic of the Manzano looks good too. I think it may fork at this node or the next. Cheers!

Hmmm, maybe I better scale back the planned 4 plants. I'll have to give that some though as I plan out the balance of the nonpepper gardens. 

Here is the plan so far: My back yard is on a hill so my raised beds are just terraced into the side of the hill. Planning (1) 4x18 spot for all the annuums and bacctums in a sq.ft fashion but 16" spacing . The Chinense, pubes and frut, will go in the hydro setup (9) plants, or up on the patio in 7 gallon+ pots. The way things are going, I'll have more plants than space so they will probably be spreading to the other garden (don't tell the wife).

Non pepper garden will be either 1 or 2 more 4x18' raised beds further down the hill. 

Construction on this will begin once the weather improves. 

Like the digging into the slope idea.  that saves a bit of work,
plus it looks way cool to have terraces full of plants!

You are quite the tomato grower, Jeff!

Just some food pics if y'all are hungry. 

Blackened cod and homemade vegetable soup. Dinner tonight and perfect food for the crappy weather. 

Oh, and I was reminded yet again by everyone in the house: If the iron skillet is hot enough to blacken, you cannot think that sprinkling smoked scorpion powder on before cooking is a good idea.    We coughed through dinner as I promised not to do that again.  :liar:

20140105_183253.jpg

Dinner a couple of days ago. buffalo chicken panini. 

Before grilling
20140103_183753.jpg

And after. 
20140103_190208.jpg

If you are curious, that is fried polenta and beans and asparagus under cheese sauce. The sammie is topped with sauerkraut and pickled peppers. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Excellent looking grub.  Makes me hungry.

Thanks Jeff. I need to be eating more fish I think. The holidays weren't kind to my waist line. :rolleyes:

In other news, it is -1 F right now and heading for -8 by the time I leave the office this afternoon. I need something to keep me warm so I dug out this picture of my Trinidad Scorpion from last year. This is the plant that is responsible for me not growing them this year. It was so productive that I still have 3 gallon freezer bags full, 8 - 4 ounce puree jars and a cup or so of powder. I did have 3 scorpion plants last year but 3/4 of the pods came off this one plant.
20130813_173731.jpg

Since it is only Jan 6th and -2 degrees outside, the over wintered plants don't have much to do but stay alive. The ones in the living room are doing just that but the ones in the grow room under the light are doing much more. Not only are they flowering, but putting out some pods as well. Not many, but a few. 

Thai red
20140106_174717.jpg

Giant Jalapeno
20140106_174813.jpg

Paper lantern
20140106_174845.jpg

Jamaican mushroom
20140106_174907.jpg

No pods, but quite a few fully opened flowers on the monzano. Maybe winter pods.  :pray:
20140106_174835.jpg

Winter pods are fun but this is not a priority. The o/w plants will get pulled out of the grow room and put in the living room by the window if and when I need more space for the new plants. For example: I got Nothing but flower drop on the ghost peppers. I ended up bringing them upstairs for now. the humidity is too low for them to pollinate, plus I needed the room.

Getting pods on your OW.....sweet....makes me want to bring mine into the grow room and fire up the heat lol.

Nice poddage and love the blossom pics!!!

Well you eat good for sure, one has too ;)

The OW's are certainly happy if you have poddage.

Keep up the good work and stay warm!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Getting pods on your OW.....sweet....makes me want to bring mine into the grow room and fire up the heat lol.

Nice poddage and love the blossom pics!!!
Why not Jeff, as long as the new plants are small and you have the room. The way I see it, I'm paying for the light to be on anyway. Might as well use it.

Devv said:
Well you eat good for sure, one has too ;)

The OW's are certainly happy if you have poddage.

Keep up the good work and stay warm!
Thanks Scott. Things are going well in the OW room so far. Way better than last year with all those fukin' fungus gnats. Glad they haven't popped their head in yet. I have seen a couple but they get caught by the fly paper pretty quick.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice pods man! How long did it take them to set? Think they'll mature before you put them out?

Stay warm!
Thanks. There is probably about a month or more until I need the space. I'm guessing some pods will ripen in that time. The 'penos can be used green too.

Penny said:
Those all look great!!

Thanks Penny. 

Well, today became a little expensive. I came home from work and the lights weren't on like they should be. A little bit of testing confirmed that it wasn't the timer or the bulb. That only leaves one component. The expensive one. 

Goodbye old el cheapo Chinese ballast. you will be missed (mostly because of how cheap you were). 

20140107_202228.jpg

Hello new dimmable nice and shiny ballast. You're twice the cost. I hope you last more than twice as long. 

20140107_202240.jpg

I paid a pretty penny more at the local hydro shop than I would have through Amazon. Still not to pleased with that (nor am I convinced that I won't take it back and just order it from Amazon), but I really benefit from the hydro shop only being 7 miles away, so keeping them in business is almost worth the premium they charge. Almost.....

On the flip side, I scored 8 cu.ft. of perlite while I was there today. $18.00 per 4 cu.ft. bag and no shipping (have you seen the cost of shipping perlite---crazy expensive) . That made me feel a lot better about the cost of the ballast. 

Back