food Jeff's Flog- homemade pastrami

HopsNBarley said:
Nice Jeff!
Ain't a whole lot better than homemade tortillas.
Never thought about making English Muffins but I'm gonna be all over that.
You got a recipe?

Okay, at home now. About that recipe. 

After a bunch of research, this was the most highly complimented recipe I could find. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/english-muffins-recipe.html

I wasn't quite satisfied with it though, a bit bland. My small twists are below, but most of the credit goes to Alton. I just copied what he did and modified it. Note my recipe is much larger (roughly double) and makes about 18ish muffins.  

3/4 cup non-fat powdered butter milk
2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon shortening- melted--butter flavored Crisco
2 TBSP canola oil
2 ½-3 cups warm water
4 tsp dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted

Mix everything except the flour and whisk until smooth. Mix in flour until the batter is a thick pancake consistency. Let rise for 45 minutes.
Spray cast iron skillet and rings with non stick spray and lightly dust with cornmeal flour.
Cook covered on medium low for 5-6 minutes on each side

SumOfMyBits said:
ARTISAN square pies! Only at Jeff H's.

I think you need a food truck, Jeff.

I would love one, but since it probably doesn't pay as well as my day job, I'm staying where I am. :D

Thanks Jeff!
It's on the to do list...
I've got some kickin Jalapeño, Habanero jelly those would play well with.
It's on like Donkey Kong.

I started a thread a little bit ago about hot sauces/chutneys that would be good with fish and I got a lot of great responses. After thinking it through, I decided lemon was the flavor I wanted .

The experiment:
Small batch as a test. 
One of my not 7pot yellow (hab heat), about a third of a sweet onion, a clove or two of garlic and =/- 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4tsp of salt and black pepper. Simmered until the pepper and onion were tender then hit the mini food processor for a nice chutney consistency. 

20140226_183756.jpg

need something to test it out on. Fish tacos.  :dance:

Flounder was all I had in the freezer so that will have to do. Grilled it on the Foreman grill and piled on the chutney and other stuff. 

20140226_190921.jpg

It was very good. The lemon flavor was very prominent and the heat was a bit milder than I am used to, but definitely there. 

I'll do this again and again. I might use some MOAs once the plants put some out, but for now, it is not 7pot yellow since it is what I have. 

Even the kids had something interesting. Twiced baked chicken taco potatoes. Just like you would imagine. Baked potato, chicken taco stuffing, some beans, sour cream, tons of cheese and they topped it off with hot sauce. 
20140226_191141.jpg

That sauce sounds and looks good, but I am confused. What is a not 7-pot Yellow? And if it is not hot, maybe you should add more like six or eight of them to make the recipe more what you wanted.

JayT said:
That sauce sounds and looks good, but I am confused. What is a not 7-pot Yellow? And if it is not hot, maybe you should add more like six or eight of them to make the recipe more what you wanted.

This is a not 7pot yellow. Grew them last year and I have a bunch of them in the freezer. Good tasting pepper for fish and chicken. About as hot as a hot habanero.

As far as the chutney's heat level, this was an experiment. Next time, two peppers in that mix should do nicely.

With all the lemon juice, I bet the pH is low enough to can and preserve this sauce if I nail the recipe right. Have to check that next time I make some.

Jeff way to go on the Tex-Mexified fish taco. 

I say that because of the use of tomato, lettuce, and cheese which is a standard of Tex-Mex rather than authentic Mexican.

Would have liked to see some of the fish on that but no matter.

I'd still Chairman Mao it.

SumOfMyBits said:
Wait... are those homemade ARTISAN tortillas? Gimme some of that flounder taco!

texas blues said:

The 'shore do look artisan don't they?

And dern' thin too.

The way I like to be liking them.

Yep, home made tortillas. Now that I've made tortillas a bunch of times, I always hit them with the rolling pin after the press. The press just doesn't get them thin enough. One of these days I'll get a little sheet of .030 plastic to help fill up the space to the press will make them thinner, but for now, I just use a rolling pin.

I've found that they don't crack and break as much if they are thinner (and the gluten from them being 1/2 flour helps too).

Thanks Chris. Coming from you, that is a real compliment.

Mediterranean food isn't generally spicy, but my version sure is.

Tabbouleh with grilled chicken.
20140227_192444.jpg

20140227_192614.jpg

Slice up the chicken, coat it with some not 7pot powder and apply tons of tabbouleh. Enjoy.

20140227_192833.jpg
20140227_193253.jpg

TB, can I sway you to eat some chicken with this?

Jeff H said:
Thanks Chris. Coming from you, that is a real compliment.

Mediterranean food isn't generally spicy, but my version sure is.

Tabbouleh with grilled chicken.
20140227_192444.jpg

20140227_192614.jpg

Slice up the chicken, coat it with some not 7pot powder and apply tons of tabbouleh. Enjoy.

20140227_192833.jpg
20140227_193253.jpg

TB, can I sway you to eat some chicken with this?
Rarely do I do boneless and skinless chicken breasts but when I do I want them cooked just like that! Great job on those and that meal looks awesome!

That looks good Jeff but I have to be honest and answer your question.

I don't always eat chicken.

But when I do.

I still don't eat it.

Jeff H said:
Calzones anyone?
Very nice, i was thinking too to make some calzoni next time i cook pizza!
It's years that i don't eat one (but i've eaten its bigger brother, disco volante aka flying disc).

Back