• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff's Glog- 2015 edition.--In the dirt

Here we go again. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Starting a little later this year. Right now, just some pubes. Supers in a week or two and the rest of the crew in Feb sometime.

20150111_133836.jpg

Since the glog is pretty boring at this point, we'll get it off to a good start with some good food. Blackened chicken and dirty rice with jalapeno poppers.

20150111_183914.jpg

Sorry to see the Bonnets languishing Jeff... Most of my Fruts and Annuums and all my Ajis looked like that before they gave up in the face of the back-and-forth between cold and dry, and hot and dry. I've never had such small plants to start with before, and I guess their root systems just didn't go deep enough to cope. Nice Pubes though... that should give you plenty of heat this year. Cheers!

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice update. Sorry to see the bonnets aren't cooperating... Looks like they got chewed on?

The jerk marinade looks great. I've seen that ghost pepper curry down here too bud never tried it. May give it a whirl sometime.

Thanks for stopping in Adam. Bonnets are still with us but not doing all that well. Jerk marinade was very good. Glad I have enough for several batches.

Blister said:
Oh jerk chicken. Loves me some jerk chicken! Going to have to do some in the smoker once I get a bit of time on my hands and the weather cooperates. Things are looking good here Jeff

Neil

Thanks Neil

Pulpiteer said:
That bonnet looks like slugs got it. Stupid, horrible slugs. I pretend I can hear them scream when I put table salt on them after they've been in the garden. I take it personally.

Yep, that is what I thought too .Slug bait laid.

randyp said:
   Everything looks good Jeff.This is my first year running a drip line and I think I am going to love it.Have a good Memorial Day.

Thanks for stopping in.

stickman said:
Sorry to see the Bonnets languishing Jeff... Most of my Fruts and Annuums and all my Ajis looked like that before they gave up in the face of the back-and-forth between cold and dry, and hot and dry. I've never had such small plants to start with before, and I guess their root systems just didn't go deep enough to cope. Nice Pubes though... that should give you plenty of heat this year. Cheers!

Thanks Rick. Bonnets are still down but not out yet. I put down some slug bait and also have another interesting twist. See below.

Sooooooo; My one pepper garden with the bonnets, habs and my Supers has been looking more than a little beat up this spring. I've been pretty busy over the last few weeks so I haven't been able to do much worrying about them (which is probably a good thing). The supers and habs especially look like they got hit with herbicide and since the garden is on the fence line with a neighbor, this is a real possibility. I was thinking a week ago that the symptoms looked similar to 2.4D, but I dismissed it at the time since we are not in farm country. Well, I was doing research on line today and look what I find:

Capture2.JPG

Sonofabitch. If 2.4D is included in the regular Weed and Feed that everyone uses, it would certainly explain why my peppers look damaged. I'm sure the neighbor spread some on his lawn; he does every year.

The supers at least look like they will pull through just fine. The rest are still alive at least. I think next year, I retire this garden and make it a perennial bed. Rest of the gardens are looking good. Updated pics when I get home from the office.

Scott's applies all of my lawn treatments and I just recently started reading the papers that they leave after treatments. Seems like every time they put an application down it has 2.4D listed as a chemical. Last year I noticed a couple of plants, had leaves that were effected, but overall there was not much damage.

Update.

Damaged Gourmet Jigsaw
20150604_182335.jpg

New growth
20150604_182342.jpg

Red Ghost damage
20150604_182351_001.jpg

Some new growth
20150604_182401.jpg

Caribbean red doesn't show much new growth yet.

20150604_182422.jpg

Nor does the paper lantern
20150604_182439.jpg

Bonnet seems to be coming back though.
20150604_182450.jpg

Plants in the other beds are doing fine though. Large orange Thai:
20150604_182522.jpg
20150604_182527.jpg

One of the baccys, Bishops Crown I think.
20150604_182534.jpg

That is 10. Need a bump.

Dang! That is a cast-iron beech that you got 2,4-D in your pepper beds from your neighbor's lawn-care products! At least you'll have plenty of heat from the supers that pull through. I think tomatillos are unkillable by normal means... ;)

I really don't understand the weed and feed stuff. But I know I'm not in the majority on that stuff.  I just don't understand carpet bombing everything.  Sorry to hear it got you - but good news about the new growth on most plants. 

Hi all. It has been a busy 3 weeks but I finally found some time to post up some updated photos.

Red ghost- chugging right along. A few flowers but no real pods yet.

20150622_173732.jpg

The red ghost in the ground. see the tomato volunteer photo bombing the pic. :rolleyes:

20150622_173744.jpg

Jigsaw- just like the ghost above, they have all outgrown the herbicide damage nicely.
20150622_173753.jpg

One of the Caribbean reds small but recovering nicely from the herbicide damage.
20150622_173803.jpg

Paper lantern hab in a similar situation. Shaking off the herbicide, but smaller than they should be for the end of June.
20150622_173822.jpg

Rocoto
20150622_173835.jpg

Random Annuum shots. They are doing well.

20150622_173923.jpg
20150622_174006.jpg
20150622_174019.jpg

The garlic is ready to pull. Here is a little of the soft top garlic pulled last week. The rest was pulled tonight. I'm leaving most of the hard top garlic in for a little longer. I pulled a few and the heads seemed a little small so I want to see if  can give them some more time before I pull them.

20150622_174047.jpg

Cheers all. Have a good week.

Looking good Jeff.
As to the 24D discovery.......that may have been a culprit with me last year and the year before-I quit treating the yard all together. This is the first year I haven't had a bunch of plants exhibit that strange miniaturized ,very stiff new growth. Looks kinda similar to " curly top", which is what I thought mine was initially....damn I hate a mystery like that. All you can do is get rid of as many variables as possible and hope.I'm going to have to remember to pass the directive along to the wife , I'm pulling for a no surprises year.Fingers crossed.

Nice pics Jeff... after getting stressed by the herbicide it looks like some of your plants are opting for making more pods than leaves. If you want to encourage more growth on the smaller plants, you could try watering in a little molasses or corn syrup every week or so. They'll take in the sugars through the roots and use them to grow bigger. Just don't overdo it... say a half a cup in a 2 gallon watering can. I did that las t year and it helped my runts get bigger fairly quickly.

gnslngr said:
Looking good Jeff.
As to the 24D discovery.......that may have been a culprit with me last year and the year before-I quit treating the yard all together. This is the first year I haven't had a bunch of plants exhibit that strange miniaturized ,very stiff new growth. Looks kinda similar to " curly top", which is what I thought mine was initially....damn I hate a mystery like that. All you can do is get rid of as many variables as possible and hope.I'm going to have to remember to pass the directive along to the wife , I'm pulling for a no surprises year.Fingers crossed.

Thanks for stopping in Dave. As far as the 2.4D is concerned, I'm thinking of putting a raised bed in this location for next year. That way (hopefully), my neighbor won't be able to infect the bed as he spreads the chemicals.

stickman said:
Nice pics Jeff... after getting stressed by the herbicide it looks like some of your plants are opting for making more pods than leaves. If you want to encourage more growth on the smaller plants, you could try watering in a little molasses or corn syrup every week or so. They'll take in the sugars through the roots and use them to grow bigger. Just don't overdo it... say a half a cup in a 2 gallon watering can. I did that las t year and it helped my runts get bigger fairly quickly.

That is a good thought Rick. Only problem is that it never stops raining around here this year. All the ferts I do put down just get washed right out. :rolleyes:

Small update.

Jamaican mushroom. Looking pretty good right now despite the cool weather and rain.

20150711_145609.jpg

Bishops crown

20150711_145559.jpg

Brazilian starfish

20150711_145547.jpg

Red Ghost in a 25 gallon root pouch is doing real good despite all the rain because it's canopy effectively blocks all the rain water from the pot. :rofl: It is the only plant I have to water. As you can see int eh photo, it is a bit thirsty. There are a bunch of pods set and the first should be ripening soon.

20150711_145442.jpg

Looking good Jeff! This Ohio weather is slowing me down too. I have a feeling that once this monsoon subsides our plants are gonna explode with pods.

Looking good Jeff. Sorry I haven't been by sooner. I've been trying to keep up on Glogs. There is so many it's hard sometimes.

I'm glad the plants got over there sickness. Jigsaw looks to be branching out quite well. Nice looking pods too. 25gal pot sounds cool. I've never planted in anything that big. We've had crazy rains here as well.

Good luck with your grow.

It's weird the shade just seems to make me crave support. Long internodes etc. I swear you have some of the nicest rocoto plants going on THP. Looking forward to more updates!

Jeff H said:

Red Ghost in a 25 gallon root pouch is doing real good despite all the rain because it's canopy effectively blocks all the rain water from the pot. :rofl: It is the only plant I have to water. As you can see int eh photo, it is a bit thirsty. There are a bunch of pods set and the first should be ripening soon.

20150711_145442.jpg

Those are some awesome looking pods!

Back