• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Jelly bubbles

Made some jelly, took it out of the water bath and it started making bubbles inside after a few minutes. This has happened three times today, all with properly sealed lids.

I replaced the lids, ran them through the canner again and no more bubbles.

Any guesses?

Edit...uggh, this phone doesn't copy and paste well and photobucket links suck. Come back when YouTube video link is finished processing.

http://youtu.be/W3Wsc8RJoEg

HWB products will bubble when they are really hot...meaning they are Boiling inside when removed from the HWB.  As long as the liquids aren't coming out of the jars, bubbles (boiling) is not necessarily a bad thing.  

It's a processing balance to get the jars boiled up for the required time but not longer.  Altitude etc will effect the process but all that information is available on the major canning websites from Kerr and Mason, etc. 

It's common for lots of HWB  canned items to boil out.  Fruits, jams, pickles etc.  It's better if they can be processed without boiling out, but it's not a disaster if it happens.  Seeing bubbles when the jars are taken out of the bath is OK, you just don't want to have whatever liquid is in the jars oozing out of the jars.  If the insides are oozing out, that means the seal has been compromised and you might want to consider removing the lids, clean the rims, re-seal with fresh lids and the same rings and re-processing in the WHB.

I fortunately haven't had anything boil out yet. I didn't think of the liquid boiling inside because if the air is pushed out during the canning process, then how can a bubble be made in a vacuum?

It must be that some air remained suspended in solution? I would sure love to know the physics behind that.

Thanks SL

I don't understand all of the physics, but have done a bit of HWB processing.  I follow the processes as suggested by Ball, Mason, etc.  

When the jars are heated in the hot water, the goal is to get them to that heat point where all the product inside the jars are heated to the desired temps, all the products expand inside the jar pushing out the oxygen, then the jars can be removed from the HotWaterBath and start to cool which will create the seal with the jar lids and that satisfying "pop" when the lid seals.   

When the jars are over-processed/overheated, (which I've done when canning fruits)  they boil out and product is boiled out under the lid and can compromise the seal.

Back