• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy Heated Mini Greenhouse

Has anyone used the Jiffy Heated Mini Greenhouse? Comes with a tray for 72 seedlings, little peat starter tabs that expand with water, and a heating pad?

I know its kind of late (really late) to get started on this for the season, but I am alas just starting. I planted some bhuts, butch T's, and chocolate 7 pots in the seedling tray using Jiffy starting soil. I have put this on the heat pad.

For a control (with many obvious variables :) ), I am starting some hot cayenne peppers using the little cartridges. I recently ordered some Brain Strain peppers. After they arrive, and while enjoying them, I plan to plant their seeds as well. Has anyone used the Jiffy system for these peppers or any other superhots?

Can the peat cartridges be used for the superhot peppers? Are there any suggestions anyone has to maximize germination?

All dry seeds were soaked in a mixture of 1/4 cup H2O2, one cup chammomile tea, into one quart of water. This is what I am using to water, as well, to prevent damping-off.

Am I doing this right? This is my first time doing this. I've grown habaneros in the past, but then just put a pod in the ground and crossed my fingers...and it worked.

Yes Ive used it, most people use a seedling heat mat and greenhouse to germinate seeds! It works very well! You are getting an EXTREMELY late start!!! So if you can finish up your season indoors that would be the best idea! I dont think your weather is warm/hot yr around like FL, HI, or AZ? Heres a pic of my jiffy set up
mygerminatingsetup.jpg

nah you can still grow,i used those too but i used my own heat pad works great. gotta check the pellets here in there cause the heat dry's'em

i use something similar to the jiffy heated mini greenhouse, i think mine is gardener's delight, regardless, to see the 2 side by side you wouldn't know the difference.

i use the mini greenhouse to germinate just about everything but don't always use jiffy pellets now. looking at my dwc, i can see a butchT and yellow scotch bonnet that germinated in a jiffy pellet and are doing fine but i planted many more that either didn't germinate or germinated, grew a 1/4" then shriveled and died. my unit is about 15 years old, so i no longer have all the original stuff. but since i have used coir pellets with mixed results and promix hp. i have also used rockwool to germinate, again, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. it really depends on the quality of the seeds.

i think you are doing things right for starters, but eventually you are going to run out of peat pellets and are going to have to come up with an alternative, when that does happen, i think moving to a finer product like promix would be more beneficial for germinating seeds.

good growing.

i thought we could grow year round here in LA...? well i do... LOL... just grow the seedlings for a while indoors... i'm laying down a bunch of seeds this week too... don't worry about it...

oh, and it will work... but i don't like using those peat pellets... i get those 72-cell greenhouse thingys from walmart and a heating blanket from CVS or whatever... then i rock patio plus mixed with perlite and i'm all good...

I germinate my seedling in covered 8oz deli plastic containers and then move them over to the R&R grow plugs thereafter. This method enables me to micromanage the entire process.

oh, i forgot to mention one other item about growing in your jiffy mini greenhouse.

don't use all the cells, leave some open for bottom watering. you may find your mini greenhouse dries can dry out really fast, i don't believe there is a regulator on the heat mat.

my normal routine is to check the moisture level in the morning, add water as needed then do the same thing in the late evening. well, there have been times i missed my late evening session and found a number of shrivelled seedling in the morning.

good luck.

I use a similar setup with the regular Jiffy starter box, instead of using the cells, I cut down some plastic cups to fit inside. I label the cups with a marker. The whole tray is set on a heating mat that I had to make.

The Jiffy starter with a heating mat is a quick and easy way to start out.

As Burning Colon posted, they do dry out quick, keep your eye on them.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't use the Jiffy pellets. I filled the little trays with organic starter mix. Looks like the pellets can be used afterall! I saved them, so maybe when my brain strains arrive I can use them to start those seeds.

Back