• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media jiffy pellets

I've used that same setup for the last 2 years and had great results. I did had to keep an eye on them because they can dry out and if they do they get really hard, but as long as you have the dome on your fine. Since I would only let them sprout and them plant them up asap it wasn't that bad using straight peat.
Ok, so you have used the same thing I am using, and had good results just leaving the lid on until they sprout then move them to another container... No need to take the lid off for air flow?... I have raised the tray off of the heat may to make it a little bit cooler... Its about 83 now

I'm no pro at this, first year starting from seed, but I used the same thing this year & had almost all germinate. I only planted 1 seed per pellet because I didn't want to cut any & ended up with 170 seedlings out of 185 seeds that I started. I left the domes on until a few started to sprout, then I cracked the lid until they all sprouted then just left the lid off.

hated jiffy pellets when i used them, had almost zero germination from them compared to using regular seedling raising mixes. but it's all about controlling the temperature and moisture level. and i find seedling raising mixes are easier for me.

hated jiffy pellets when i used them, had almost zero germination from them compared to using regular seedling raising mixes. but it's all about controlling the temperature and moisture level. and i find seedling raising mixes are easier for me.
I have gotten it to where I can keep the temp at a constant 27-30°c... Humidity I can only guess us good because the lid stays condensated.. The starter pucks stay moist but not wet.

Howdy

This was my first attempt at growing hot peppers and i also used the jiffy-7 greenhouse and loved it planted 36 pellets with 3 CR seeds in each pellet every 1 sprouted i had to kill off the weaker/late spouts to leave just the strongest oldest in each pellet i kept the tray in my kitchen usually on a towel above the fridge or on the counter near the stove temps were only around 75 degrees and i wiped the condensation off once a day everyday at the same time when the majority popped i removed the lid and put them under the lights with a small fan i used dropper type thing to give each pellet a lil dose of water when they started to dry out seemed like every couple days and when i transplanted them into 18 oz cups i did remove the netteing used a good sissors to slit down two sides and it rolled right off leaving the pellet in tact. I will use the Jiffy-7 greenhouse again

Howdy

This was my first attempt at growing hot peppers and i also used the jiffy-7 greenhouse and loved it planted 36 pellets with 3 CR seeds in each pellet every 1 sprouted i had to kill off the weaker/late spouts to leave just the strongest oldest in each pellet i kept the tray in my kitchen usually on a towel above the fridge or on the counter near the stove temps were only around 75 degrees and i wiped the condensation off once a day everyday at the same time when the majority popped i removed the lid and put them under the lights with a small fan i used dropper type thing to give each pellet a lil dose of water when they started to dry out seemed like every couple days and when i transplanted them into 18 oz cups i did remove the netteing used a good sissors to slit down two sides and it rolled right off leaving the pellet in tact. I will use the Jiffy-7 greenhouse again

funny you posted this today i just transplanted 12 sprouts into 16oz styrofoam cups with holes in the bottom so i cold bottom water... i also cut the netting off

Not that i like using peat pellets or anything, but if i did i would pull the netting off, or at least peel them back a bit before planting.

Take a look at what could happen if you don't (pics): http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0314220213059.html?23

hmm interesting. I must have been lucky because the roots of my plants pierce through the netting just like the one in the pic of the tomato plant. However a lot that I used last year I ended up cutting in half because I seeded 2-3 per jiffy and didn't want to throw any out, so I guess having one side open helped a lot. Still I haven't had any particular problems in the past but I will be definately considering other alternatives if I can help it just in case.
I usually do a mix of different techniques depending on what I do with them in the end and how much room i have at the time. Sometimes I use flat trays with coco coir or seed raising mix, other times I use cells with soil,direct seed into small pots etc. I tried with rockwool cubes with not much success, I think they are much better for clones/cuttings. oh well it all comes down to experimenting and how much time you want to put into it.

Well I must say, I have never grown anything before (much less from seed) and I had at least one sprout in every jiffy pellet I put seeds in. I put some yellow T. Scorpions in some pellets on friday, one sprouted last night! I put some Bhut seeds in some damp paper towels in ziploc bags and put them in the closet, half of those have teeny tiny little hooks coming out all ready. So I dont guess the jiffy electric seed starter and peat pellets can be all that bad. I will definitely use it again.

Proper temp and moisture are all thats needed for germination, its after that where the medium is most important

Yeah I'm not sure if it's the seeds that guys have problems with, but I read the problems with the Jiffy kit after I got it and decided to put 2-3 sees in each puck to ensure I get a good harvest. I ended up with over 150 plants since they worked fine for me. I do however take the netting off.

I too use jiffy pellets and don't have any problems. You can let them grow until they get their first true leaves and then pot them up to larger containers. I also take the net off to let them spread their roots. Never had a problem doing it this way. When you pot them up just bury them to the seed leaves and they wil be fine. Good luck and good growing! :)

Charles

I Also haven't had any problems with pellets, never used them for peppers though. I did however, have a massive problem with the jiffy biodegradable peat pot/starter thingos. They don't degrade anywhere near quick enough..... Pointless.

Jiffy pellets vs starter mix = whatever works for you personally.

I always get much higher germination rates using Jiffy pellets so I've stuck with them. Yes, they have their cons (i.e. they can be a PITA when it comes to controlling moisture levels - no arguments there), but overall, at least for me anyway, the pros outweigh the cons and I get much better results using them.

When it comes time to plant out/pot up, I do remove the netting. IMO, this does not affect the convenience of them one iota - as long as you remove it before the roots start growing through, it literally takes two or three seconds.

But removing the netting takes time and effort and you have to watch that you don't damage the roots. Much less convenient in my opinion, but if it works for you go with it.
I challenge people to try side by side tests with jiffys vs. a good loose soilless mix in cells, or rockwool. I find cells much more convenient and much quicker to transplant than having to fuss with the netting. For tomatoes and other aggresive rooting plants, I still like jiffys with netting intact although its still more expensive and no better than using a good "soil"

+1 Potawie...

you know, I don't like them for the reasons listed above, dry out too quick, stay too wet, messing with the netting, etc...

so...I have chosen to use a simple soiless seed starting mix in 72 cell starter trays and have had great success with it...

another thing I don't like is the moisture inside the domes...if I have to buy trays with the domes, I throw the domes away...I had the moisture buildup...IMO that promotes damping off because of the environment being too wet...this is JMHO...

but, as has been said, it is whatever works for you...

I will say that if I only planted a few seeds, I may use them but when I plant thousands of seeds a year, it gets expensive and I don't have time to mess with them...

I bought a dome setup this year and used Hoffman's seedling mix. I ended up getting rid of the domes because of moisture build up and getting mold, but had 90% success with the mix.

Domes are good for germination but ideally they need vents or airing out (and CO2 replenishing) a few times a day

Back