• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJBagoose 2010 Grow Log

Hi,

Haven't posted in a while but I was lurking the other day and it got me psyched to start some plants for this year.

I just finished setting up about 40 Jiffy Pellets with the following varieties:

XL Trinidad Congo
Yellow Scorpion - CARDI
Bhut Jolokia
TFM Scotch Bonnet
Peach Habanero
Hot Paper Lantern
Lemon Drop
Fatali
Orange Devil's Tongue
Yellow Haberno
7-pot (120)
Naga Morich (46)
Mesilla Cayene (27)
Tabasco (29)
Jalepeno M
Golden Greek Pepperoncini
Trinidad Scorpion
Agni Cayenne

In order to have a successful season I have some stuff I really need to accomplish. One of my goals for the year is to craft a better setup for starting the plants out. My basement proves to be a little too cold for peppers this time of year.

I also want to build a couple of raised beds to house all these puppies.

Stay tuned to see if I succeed at pepper growing or succumb to the pressures of marriage, parenthood, work and beer.

Good Luck to All This Year.

-jj

AlabamaJack said:
great looking start of the year JJ...hope it all goes well for you...

as far as the bottom leaf on that Jap goes...I would remove it...it will eventually die anyway....and from what I have read, if you remove damaged leaves, the plant doesn't put it's energy into repairing damage, it puts its energy into new growth....makes sense to me...

Thanks for the advice AJ. I just removed it like you said. The rest of the plant looks normal so hopefully the trouble was isolated to that leaf.

Many of the Cotyedons are turning yellow and dropping but I think that is normal, right?

Once the plant has a couple of leaves, the cotyledons are no longer necessary. You can either romove them or let them die off on their own. I usually leave them alone and if they are still there on plant out, I pinch them off so I can bury the plant a little deeper.

jacob

Allows for water drainage. Put a couple of holes in the bottom of the cup with the plant then put it in the second cup. I use a piece of styrofoam between the cups so there is room for the excess water.

patrick said:
Allows for water drainage. Put a couple of holes in the bottom of the cup with the plant then put it in the second cup. I use a piece of styrofoam between the cups so there is room for the excess water.

Thats right. I cut up some old wine corks to act as separators.

I think I'm gonna bring these puppies outside for a little while. Its so nice out today.

Back