• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Josh's Plants & Pods 2011

That's a nice bag of trick-or-treats! Never get tired of looking at the colors of peppers. Nicely done!

Meanwhile, I have a tasty question. Inspired by one of your posts, I vacuum-froze some Jalmundo poppers as a way to keep them on hand.
FYI, the filling has been precooked--Italian sausage, cheezes, onion, garlic.

1112%252520extra%252520011.jpg

You mentioned you bread yours prior to cooking. How zactly do you do that? Do you bake them in the oven?

My plan is dip in a milk/egg/beer batter, then coat in flour. Maybe do that twice. Then drop into deep fryer while the wife-unit is making lumpia (egg rolls). Sound okay? or should I defrost first? Don't want to cause any popper explosions....

I was thinking of asking this in the "Hmmmmm....Poppers" thread but you are the originator so going for the straight scoop.

:cool:

Mmmmmmm lumpia. Guamanian girlfriend. I eat these all the time.

That's a nice bag of trick-or-treats! Never get tired of looking at the colors of peppers. Nicely done!

Meanwhile, I have a tasty question. Inspired by one of your posts, I vacuum-froze some Jalmundo poppers as a way to keep them on hand.
FYI, the filling has been precooked--Italian sausage, cheezes, onion, garlic.

You mentioned you bread yours prior to cooking. How zactly do you do that? Do you bake them in the oven?

My plan is dip in a milk/egg/beer batter, then coat in flour. Maybe do that twice. Then drop into deep fryer while the wife-unit is making lumpia (egg rolls). Sound okay? or should I defrost first? Don't want to cause any popper explosions....

I was thinking of asking this in the "Hmmmmm....Poppers" thread but you are the originator so going for the straight scoop.

:cool:

Hey thanks.

In regards to the poppers. Yours look great. I have done beer batter as well as Italian bread crumbs. I bread them frozen and deep fry them briefly. Basically until they are lightly golden browned. From there I put them in the oven at like 375-400 degrees. I honestly don't know for how long and I apologize for not being exact with the temperature. I usually throw them in and keep an eye on them. Partly through the cooking process I top them with shredded cheese. I generally pull them when the filling oozes out of one.

Looks like you had a great season Josh, great garden and a nice harvest pic :)

:beer:

Thanks a lot. There were some headaches here and there but overall things turned out well. I was just amazed at how many branches I had break on me this season. Probably more this season than the past 3 combined. I still cannot complain because the plants produced more pods than I can use.

I still cannot complain because the plants produced more pods than I can use.

Now that's a good season lol

I had to tie up each branch on my dorset to a steak last season due to the number of pods. This year I'll be tipping the plants early to help toughen the structure up. But yours just looked fat :) and dense.

Have fun with the poppers

Mmmmmmm lumpia. Guamanian girlfriend. I eat these all the time.
Yessssssss....Poppers and lumpia, with various pepper sauces and salsas on hand. Yep, I'm droolin' already.

... I have done beer batter as well as Italian bread crumbs. I bread them frozen and deep fry them briefly. Basically until they are lightly golden browned. From there I put them in the oven at like 375-400 degrees. I honestly don't know for how long and I apologize for not being exact with the temperature. I usually throw them in and keep an eye on them. Partly through the cooking process I top them with shredded cheese. I generally pull them when the filling oozes out of one.
WilCo on that treatment! I wouldn't have thought of the double whammy--fry then oven. Sounds awesome....

Back