• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Josh's Plants & Pods 2011

Great haul Josh! I hope the weather cooperates. Please be safe.

That CGN 21500 is gorgeous. Pepper maggots seem fond of mine, but I'm getting a few non-attacked pods. Here's another view:

P1090580.jpg

Thanks for the compliment and the well wishes.
As usual, very nice picture Chris. Have you taste tested a pod yet? If so, what were your thoughts?

Thanks for the information, Josh. I'm planning on growing like 20 plants outside next season and I'm looking around for the best possible ways to get the best results :) The ground I'm gonna plant in is heavy clay, so I need to do something about that too get it lighter and more oxigen. Like mix it with hay or something. But I'll open an topic for that, don't wanna steal your topic :)

Thanks for the information, Josh. I'm planning on growing like 20 plants outside next season and I'm looking around for the best possible ways to get the best results :) The ground I'm gonna plant in is heavy clay, so I need to do something about that too get it lighter and more oxigen. Like mix it with hay or something. But I'll open an topic for that, don't wanna steal your topic :)

No problem and good luck with everything.

Sorry to hear you disliked the taste Josh.
They are very beautiful pods though.

That's alright. It happens. They are a very cool looking variety. It is a shame I am not practiced at breeding. I think it would be cool to transfer its coloration to another variety.

Some fine hauls there Josh. I hope Irene dodged you and all is well.

Thanks. It hit but the plants survived fairly well. Pictures to follow...

Josh, my prayers are with you. Hope all is well.

Thanks.

Hope your alright up there!

Thank you very much. I am going to post a few pictures of the damage and the recovery.

Here are some shots of my garden after Irene blew through. I didn't take pictures of the broken branches but there were a few. Several of those were large branches so that was a bit of a bummer. Also lost a few isolated pods on those branches.

You may notice some white string. After Brian encouraged me to do something that was my lazy attempt to do just that. I basically ran the string back and forth from stake to stake until they were all tied together from multiple angles. I think it may have helped.

Here are some shots after I cleaned up and stood the plants back up. Not too bad. A few gaping holes here and there. You cannot really tell from the photos.

Here is a shot of my Thai Super Hot. There honestly was no noticeable damage what so ever after the storm.

Here is a somewhat crappy under the canopy shot of my douglahs.

Here are three plants that I started really late and grouped in a 5 gallon nursery container.
Thai Hot Ornamental

Glad you made it thru ok.
Your peppers still look very good little wind damage aint nothing.
Looks like you have a nice load of peppers ready to pick.
that Douglah looks like it has a bunch.

Glad you made it thru ok.
Your peppers still look very good little wind damage aint nothing.
Looks like you have a nice load of peppers ready to pick.
that Douglah looks like it has a bunch.

Thanks. Yea, I have to get out there and pick some pods. The problem is storing them. I have a dehydrator but it is small and not very powerful. As a result, it takes a while to dry my pods. Not really a big deal but I want to pick up a larger one for next season.

Hey Josh, nice recovery and clean-up with your plants,

that Douglah's a "Knock-out"...did the storm crack your plant stskes or push them over?

hope all is well with the rest of your season.......Greg

Hey Josh, nice recovery and clean-up with your plants,

that Douglah's a "Knock-out"...did the storm crack your plant stskes or push them over?

hope all is well with the rest of your season.......Greg

Thanks.

Some were pushed over but several broke. I plan on going with larger 6' stakes next season. Hammer them down 2' so they get past the raised bed and into the compacted native soil. I may also experiment with a 6' stake and tomato cage combo on a few.

Looks like you got away with little damage Josh, good for you.

Your plants are amazing this season. I am totally wowed.

Looking good. For storage with a slow dehydrator, freeze them, then when space opens put them right in the dehydrator frozen and they will dry.

Well it looks like I crapped the bed on this one. Sorry for taking so long to get back to THP and respond to your nice comments. Hopefully I will be spending more time on here.

Looks like you got away with little damage Josh, good for you.

Your plants are amazing this season. I am totally wowed.

Looking good. For storage with a slow dehydrator, freeze them, then when space opens put them right in the dehydrator frozen and they will dry.

Wow Josh, your garden looks incredible!! :) Nice job.

Chris

Here is a long awaited update. Nothing incredible to share. I have a couple of shots of what I thought was going to be my second to last harvest. It turned out to be my last.

Then, a few days later, we had a lovely snow storm. I took pictures early on but did not want to walk outside once it began to accumulate. As you can see most of my plants had been pulled the prior weekend.

That's a nice bag of trick-or-treats! Never get tired of looking at the colors of peppers. Nicely done!

Meanwhile, I have a tasty question. Inspired by one of your posts, I vacuum-froze some Jalmundo poppers as a way to keep them on hand.
FYI, the filling has been precooked--Italian sausage, cheezes, onion, garlic.

1112%252520extra%252520011.jpg

You mentioned you bread yours prior to cooking. How zactly do you do that? Do you bake them in the oven?

My plan is dip in a milk/egg/beer batter, then coat in flour. Maybe do that twice. Then drop into deep fryer while the wife-unit is making lumpia (egg rolls). Sound okay? or should I defrost first? Don't want to cause any popper explosions....

I was thinking of asking this in the "Hmmmmm....Poppers" thread but you are the originator so going for the straight scoop.

:cool:

Back