• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JoynersHotPeppers 2013 GLOG

In the for winter are:

Jay's Ghost Scorpion - RED
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot - BROWN

The grow from seed list:

Brain Strain - RED - Seed from a pod from Judy if memeory serves me correct
Carolina Reaper - Seed from PepperJoe
Jay's Ghost Scorpion - RED - Seeds from plant above

To be continued...

As of today here are how things are looking - 12/05/12

7 Pot Brown is fighting leaf drop, white flies seem likely and it has been treated. It still wanted to give me fruit.

7pot_brown.jpg

7 Pot Brown

7pot_brown_1.jpg

7 Pot Brown

7pot_brown_2.jpg

Jay's Ghost Scorpion - RED

Jays_Ghost_Scorpion.jpg

7 Pot Jonah

7Pot_Jonah.jpg

7 Pot Jonah

7Pot_Jonah_1.jpg

Seedlings

1.jpg

2.jpg

Annuum List

Cayenne Indonesian
Chiltepin Amarillo
Jalapeno Black
Jalapeno Early
Jalapeno Giant
Jalapeno Purple
Rooster Spur
Serrano
Thai #00419-2551 F1 Hybrid
Thai #00554-2553 F1 Hybrid
Thai (2005) Large Red
Thai Cross (Orange)
Thai Dragon
Thai Hazelwood
Thai Norcal
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Che Fah
Thai Prik Jinda
Thai Prik Key GNU - Chaiprakarn F1
Thai Prik Key GNU - HOM
Thai Prik Key GNU - SUAN
Thai Prik Kjinda Dang
Thai Prik Mon Dum
Thai Prik NUM
Thai Prik Sod Dang F1
Thai Prik York
Thai Prikkinu Pedsiam F1 Hybrid
Thai Prik-Mondang Red Eagle F1
Thai Red
Thai Super Hot
Thai Yellow

Baccatum

Lemon Drop

Chinense

7 POT Brain Strain Red
7 POT Brain Strain Yellow
7 POT Brown
7 POT Burgandy
7 POT Jonah
7 POT Red
7 POT Rennie
7 POT SR
7 POT Trinidad Douglah
7 POT Yellow
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Giant
Bhut Jolokia Giant Yellow
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Billy Boy Jonah
Butch T
Chocolate Morouga (Unstable 2)
Chocolate Morouga (Unstable 1)
Chocolate Scotch
Chocolate Unknown
Douglah X Chocolate Scorpion
Fatalii
Hot Jamican
Infinity Monster
Jay's Ghost Scorpion
Mako Akoksrade
Morouga
Morouga Scorpion
Mystery Chocolate
Naga Morich
Naga Viper
Scotch Bonnet
Tazmanian Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
White Habanero
Wine Unknown

Frutescens

Thai Hot

I honestly think that is slug damage. Flea beetle damage looks like needle holes and I don't remember seeing around edges, more around the veins.

What are you putting down for slugs? I use Sluggo, but it takes a couple of weeks before you really notice them being gone, I never find any dead slug carcasses, I assume because they melt away (disgusting!) or they crawl back to their hiding places to die. The slugs I was finding were really small, like half inch long, but they completely wiped out my first planting of greenbeans (>500 plants).

After looking at a few more photos of flea beetle damage, I think flea beetles is still possible. I would just expect to see a lot more holes. You should be able to see flea beetles during the day.

I say screw it, spray the pyrethrin, its systemic and kills a lot of different bugs, then throw down some more slug bait. I know Sluggo is just iron phosphate which is good for the plants anyway!

Yeah the slug bait I use is on the OMRI list and the slugs never make it far. I just put down some more since it rained last night. I can find dead slugs daily around the canna and hosta when the slugs are out and eat the bait. The plants seem to be doing fine for now but do not want them to turn for the worse. I'll snag some pyrethrin as well. I did look at the soil and only thing I see around are a few spider mites, ants and some winged creatures that look like they have trunks.

Here are my 2 Chiltepin Amarillo plants. These guys are already 2 foot tall each. Hoping I do not get 7 foot monsters again!

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Great, 6 days into the season and we have our first tropical storm and tracking right up the east coast. Hope everyone's plants remain intact. 
Good luck in riding it out, Chris!  Plants are looking great.  If I can ask, what is wrong with a 7 foot monster plant?  Sounds awesome to me.

DocNrock said:
Good luck in riding it out, Chris!  Plants are looking great.  If I can ask, what is wrong with a 7 foot monster plant?  Sounds awesome to me.
Getting physically warn out picking two plants is something else! I have them in a better spot if they want to grow to 7 feet this year. I was using reverse psychology on them  :dance:  Thanks, hope we get minimal wind and rain.

Okay, just caught up on the past 6 pages.  Have to say, it was a relief to see the more recent pics showing healthy new growth for you!  I can relate to the plants taking a beating right after plant out.  Mine a pitiful at the moment ...

My opinion on the leaf damage is that it is not flea beetles.  They typically don't go after the peppers, and are visible in the daytime.  What it looks like to me is earwig damage.  Those do come out at night.  You could try some diatomaceous earth, just remember that it will need to be reapplied after rain or irrigation.

Nighttime has shown no visitors thus far and daytime only little flies and ants. It is a mystery for now for sure. Also very strange they are only going after the square foot pepper garden when I have 70+ plants outside of there untouched. 

Nice Photography!

Love the Mantis shots. Grow looks great, not sure what the bugs are, no sign of any critters? They must be small due to the damage shown.

Hopefully the storm will blow itself out before it gets up your way..

Devv said:
Nice Photography!

Love the Mantis shots. Grow looks great, not sure what the bugs are, no sign of any critters? They must be small due to the damage shown.

Hopefully the storm will blow itself out before it gets up your way..
Thank you, I have yet to find a single harmful bug and very well may capture a handful of baby mantis and move them over there. On another topic, my veggie sq ft garden had a baby rabbit living in it under the massive potato plants. The little guy was having a field day with my soy beans, cabbage, carrots and some lower pepper plant leaves. Broke out some rabbit repel, time will tell. 

Looks like we are going to avoid any wind from the storm but rain....not so much.

PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN WILL OCCUR THROUGH THIS EVENING. GENERAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES IS EXPECTED, WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS NEAR 5 INCHES POSSIBLE. IF AMOUNTS EXCEED 3 INCHES, THE LIKELIHOOD OF RIVER FLOODING INCREASES. THE HEAVY RAIN WILL RESULT IN FLOODING OF SOME ROADWAYS AND IN AREAS OF POOR DRAINAGE.

Be well my pepper plants....fingers crossed!

AT 938 AM EDT... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ONE INCH DIAMETER HAIL... AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM TACONY TO SWEDESBORO TO ODESSA... MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

Back