chinense Judy's Chocolate Bhutlah

I pulled a couple of ripe Bhutlahs today. So many oil deposits inside.

x36xGaq.jpg

FROG DOG said:
so whats the deal with these, are they the same cross as Steven's? bhut x douglah? why are they considered different varieties?
Even if they were, it would still be different because of different parent plants.

I have about 40 plants from Judy's genetics. I was picking last year and my plants have already gone through their first cycle for this year.
I have about 20 plants now from the UK genetics, but haven't picked any of those yet. Tom

Holy crap that placental juice outdoes almost everything I've ever seen! The only thing I've had that was more impressively oozy was a freakish red bell pepper, placenta stained pink by the liquid flowing from it. Even the mutant Scotch Bonnet I bought that felt like a static shock to the tongue didn't ooze that much.

I hope my Chocolate Bhutlahs grow that well.

FROG DOG said:
so i guess the real question is who named it first?
I -think- the term was first used in the UK.  Not sure why the name of the person who crossed it keeps eluding me, but when the name started to reference Stand and Fire's three way cross, the breeder in the UK changed the name he was using to 'brown' to avoid confusion.  Thing is, it was too late.  Folk in many countries were already marketing it by the original name.

Now that StandandFire has teamed up with Puckerbutt, I gotta figure it is going to have its own name once it is stable.  No matter what anyone says about the folk at Puckerbutt, I dont think anyone can say they do not have business sense.  Hoping that business sense will do real good by StandandFire.  Seems like a good guy and I love it when I find that we common folk can excel.

So my Bhutlah decided to turn mustard color. It's so hard to tell when these are ripe.

xQ4HUle.jpg

And this guy weighed in just under 23 grams.

20YMzEP.jpg

Here's the inside.

rXWaAIp.jpg

The spots that look brown are just pools of oil. Here's a close-up.

tB4Rb3S.jpg

I haven't quite gotten the nerve to try it yet, but I will shortly.

-EDIT: I just tried half of the left piece and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The flavor was fruity, slightly floral...but not much...with more of a green, grassy flavor. Then after you swallow it, the aftertaste is a strong capsaicin burst. Heat wise, I'd say the piece I ate was about the heat of half a Bhut. Not bad at all, but I still couldn't eat a whole one. Lol.

-Adam

Bhuter said:
So my Bhutlah decided to turn mustard color. It's so hard to tell when these are ripe.

xQ4HUle.jpg

And this guy weighed in just under 23 grams.

20YMzEP.jpg

Here's the inside.

rXWaAIp.jpg

The spots that look brown are just pools of oil. Here's a close-up.

tB4Rb3S.jpg

I haven't quite gotten the nerve to try it yet, but I will shortly.

-EDIT: I just tried half of the left piece and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The flavor was fruity, slightly floral...but not much...with more of a green, grassy flavor. Then after you swallow it, the aftertaste is a strong capsaicin burst. Heat wise, I'd say the piece I ate was about the heat of half a Bhut. Not bad at all, but I still couldn't eat a whole one. Lol.

-Adam
thats cool. I grew some of her chocolate habaneros, and one plant produced an olive green pods until they rot.

I haven't heard of anyone with other than chocolate, brown, or red bhutlah.  Please do save the seeds,grow it out a bit,and see where it goes.

ajdrew said:
I haven't heard of anyone with other than chocolate, brown, or red bhutlah.  Please do save the seeds,grow it out a bit,and see where it goes.

I have a Mustard Bhutlah growing; seeds from 96strat.

Dark outside now, pics in the morning.

Also, have a Black Bhutlah SLP, but it is making red pods.

alkhall said:

i grew out 8 plants of Judys Bhutlah last year , One threw out red pods as well . Definitely was a good hot pepper .   very productive .   :onfire:    

ajdrew said:
I -think- the term was first used in the UK.  Not sure why the name of the person who crossed it keeps eluding me, but when the name started to reference Stand and Fire's three way cross, the breeder in the UK changed the name he was using to 'brown' to avoid confusion.  Thing is, it was too late.  Folk in many countries were already marketing it by the original name.
Now that StandandFire has teamed up with Puckerbutt, I gotta figure it is going to have its own name once it is stable.  No matter what anyone says about the folk at Puckerbutt, I dont think anyone can say they do not have business sense.  Hoping that business sense will do real good by StandandFire.  Seems like a good guy and I love it when I find that we common folk can excel.
I came up with the name and then sent pods out to review, once the pepper became popular on YouTube, Peter in EU started using the name. I asked him politely to please not use the name because it would confuse to meet people, somewhat misleading. He basically told me to F off and then began talking trash in German lol. Funny thing is I can read and speak some German ( my mother is German ). I told him that was not cool man. Basically enough people made it known to him that it was not cool and he finally changed the name. Know you guys now some of the behind the scenes stuff that was going on. Oh, should be posting soon my new cross. Chocolate Bhutlah x Carolina Reaper v1 & v2. Have a good day guys.

alkhall said:

I can't keep up with it all.  Red and brown / chocolate seem right there because mama and papa can be either. But not aware of green or mustard versions to cross.

standbyandfire said:
I came up with the name and then sent pods out to review, once the pepper became popular on YouTube, Peter in EU started using the name. I asked him politely to please not use the name because it would confuse to meet people, somewhat misleading. He basically told me to F off and then began talking trash in German lol. Funny thing is I can read and speak some German ( my mother is German ). I told him that was not cool man. Basically enough people made it known to him that it was not cool and he finally changed the name. Know you guys now some of the behind the scenes stuff that was going on. Oh, should be posting soon my new cross. Chocolate Bhutlah x Carolina Reaper v1 & v2. Have a good day guys.

standbyandfire said:
I came up with the name and then sent pods out to review, once the pepper became popular on YouTube, Peter in EU started using the name.
Maybe I think the best of people too much.  I honestly thought that he was using the name, your version started getting popular and he changed the name out of respect.  But, I heard about the one from Europe first so I am sure I kind of filled in the blanks. Also odd, I bought seed stock from Italy thinking it originated in the UK.  You mentioned he wrote in German, was / is he UK, German, or Italy?  I get so confused some times.

I am sorry to say I think I have identified five different strains going by the same name.  Not sure of the differences on all of them yet.  The first two are very different.  One resembles a huge chocolate ghost pepper but usually with more wrinkles.  The other favors the douglah side.  To be perfectly honest, my tongue and throat can't really tell the difference after the Oh Shit point.  My goal is to say: Here is this, that, and the other thing to show folk the huge difference.  But not there yet.  When I am, if you would like me to sell my this, that, and the other one boxes with a link to your sales I would be frigging THRILLED to promote your efforts and your sales.

Am a poor dirt farmer.  Not sure how much longer I can keep things going for medical reasons (loosing my feet).  But if in the future you might think of a teem project, I am fairly good at producing.  Not worth a damn at crossing, keep trying, have a few projects, but oh damn they do not want to be stable.  Too bad cause I really want to screw around with completely ridiculous names. 

Would love it if you came to the dark side and started thinking of a wild name for your Chocolate Bhutlah.  I know you and Ed Curry are tight, but if it is stable and hotter than the Carolina Reaper, calling it the Wearwolf Pepper would be cool if you had someone create packaging that included a label with a Wearwolf shredding the Grim Reaper.  If your partner said it was cool I mean.  I honestly don't want him to get grief, but I do think that with Death Strain if you guys worked together you could rock the world at least two more times. 

moruga welder said:

i grew out 8 plants of Judys Bhutlah last year , One threw out red pods as well . Definitely was a good hot pepper .   very productive .   :onfire:    
Had same with reportedly same, but figured I got labels wrong.  Now I think maybe someone jumped the gun on stability.  So want to add, I do not think she has ever sold the seed stock.  I think she sold or sent out pods.  I figure the seed stock I got was someone who got her pods, grew it out, and sold seeds despite her not thinking they were ready to be sold as seed.  Just a guess, I understand her to be a tremendously honest human being not only from my purchases but from the respect she commands in the community.

Ye, I have a lot of down time and tend to read a great deal on the different growers.  Pepper Lover is one of my folk heroes, so is StandAndFire.  Most of what I do is produce.  I love growing and am horrible at crossing.  So I do not really expect a day when I can count myself among them, but it would be really flattering if someday I could drink a bier or six with either one.

alkhall said:

I believe 96strat has a Mustard Bhutlah in his garden this year as well. I'm not sure where they originated, but mine came from seeds from a chocolate/brown Bhutlah.

ajdrew said:
I can't keep up with it all.  Red and brown / chocolate seem right there because mama and papa can be either. But not aware of green or mustard versions to cross.

Maybe I think the best of people too much.  I honestly thought that he was using the name, your version started getting popular and he changed the name out of respect.  But, I heard about the one from Europe first so I am sure I kind of filled in the blanks. Also odd, I bought seed stock from Italy thinking it originated in the UK.  You mentioned he wrote in German, was / is he UK, German, or Italy?  I get so confused some times.

I am sorry to say I think I have identified five different strains going by the same name.  Not sure of the differences on all of them yet.  The first two are very different.  One resembles a huge chocolate ghost pepper but usually with more wrinkles.  The other favors the douglah side.  To be perfectly honest, my tongue and throat can't really tell the difference after the Oh Shit point.  My goal is to say: Here is this, that, and the other thing to show folk the huge difference.  But not there yet.  When I am, if you would like me to sell my this, that, and the other one boxes with a link to your sales I would be frigging THRILLED to promote your efforts and your sales.

Am a poor dirt farmer.  Not sure how much longer I can keep things going for medical reasons (loosing my feet).  But if in the future you might think of a teem project, I am fairly good at producing.  Not worth a damn at crossing, keep trying, have a few projects, but oh damn they do not want to be stable.  Too bad cause I really want to screw around with completely ridiculous names. 

Would love it if you came to the dark side and started thinking of a wild name for your Chocolate Bhutlah.  I know you and Ed Curry are tight, but if it is stable and hotter than the Carolina Reaper, calling it the Wearwolf Pepper would be cool if you had someone create packaging that included a label with a Wearwolf shredding the Grim Reaper.  If your partner said it was cool I mean.  I honestly don't want him to get grief, but I do think that with Death Strain if you guys worked together you could rock the world at least two more times. 

Had same with reportedly same, but figured I got labels wrong.  Now I think maybe someone jumped the gun on stability.  So want to add, I do not think she has ever sold the seed stock.  I think she sold or sent out pods.  I figure the seed stock I got was someone who got her pods, grew it out, and sold seeds despite her not thinking they were ready to be sold as seed.  Just a guess, I understand her to be a tremendously honest human being not only from my purchases but from the respect she commands in the community.

Ye, I have a lot of down time and tend to read a great deal on the different growers.  Pepper Lover is one of my folk heroes, so is StandAndFire.  Most of what I do is produce.  I love growing and am horrible at crossing.  So I do not really expect a day when I can count myself among them, but it would be really flattering if someday I could drink a bier or six with either one.

yes , the seeds i got  were from her pods 

Mustard Bhutlah from 96strat. There are two plants in the same growbag.
Plant #1:

IMG_20160813_064923459.jpg

IMG_20160813_064937778.jpg

Plant #2:

IMG_20160813_064948228.jpg

IMG_20160813_064958493.jpg

Black Bhutlah SLP:

IMG_20160813_065202273_HDR.jpg

PL Bhutlah:

IMG_20160813_065249603.jpg

Back