Just a Rookie Trying to get started

Hello everyone - Bomb Daddy here.... I recently found this forum and its been really helpful!  Im looking for a bit of advice though.

A friend of mine knows I like to eat habaneros (never tried anything hotter but I'd like to!) and gave me a handful of Chocolate Habanero seeds.

After reading this site some, I've bought a seedling tray and some of the little peat-moss pucks, a heated grow mat and a 'jump-start' grow light. 

Now for the advice - everyone seems to grow more than one type of pepper so im wondering what else you would recommend??  I love habaneros and jalapenos, and all kinds of bell peppers.  Im looking for something that will be hot and flavorful - something in the flavor profile of a habanero or bell pepper, with the heat of a habanero or hotter...any ideas?  Also if there are any suggestions for a rookie grower (links are ok - i dont mind going off to read) that would be very much appreciated.

Im in Texas so I think my grow-season is essentially year-round.  I was hoping to start within the next 2-3 weeks, how long does it take for a typical hot pepper plant to produce peppers?  And can they produce peppers more than once a year?

Thanks everyone!

Hey mate and welcome.

Right off the bat I'd recommend some bhuts, I'd recommend some 7 pot varieties, I'd recommend some varieties of jalapeño. There sre hundreds of different peppers and being your first time growing, don't make thing too hard on your self. Maybe try a few 3 to 4 plants of 4 types of peppers. Believe me it was my first time growing peppers this year I thought oh 30 plants isn't much so I planted another 30. Ended up giving more than 30 away.

I can't attach links as im on my mobile so navigating isn't easy. What I would do is read the grow tech thread then read through glogs.

It takes about 4 months from seed to fruit. My plants are nearing 4 months and are on the verge of setting their first pods. Non super hots can usually grow faster though.

Absolutely not. In the right conditions you have have your plant produce near hear round or even have multiple batches year round. I.e as your plants begin to set fruits you can begin planting your next batch for the next 4 months. I'd say after a plant gives out a large amount of fruit it may back off before it starts putting out new flowers again. Don't hold me to this. If I could grow year round I'd be starting new varieties every 4 months.

Sounds like you have a good start with things. I'd recommend some red jalapeño, some Anaheim chili's, Hungarian wax and scotch bonnets (I haven't had these, but hear they are good and going to get some seeds this year). Once I get my seeds in I'll see what I have and may be able to send you some.

One thing you'll have to watch is when you start to harden off the seeds. Make sure you don't set them out for too long at first. I remember when I started growing and had problems with that.

I live in S Carolina and have a long growing season as well (March to Nov) and get in two crops, but my first ones will generally produce the whole time. I just plant the second ones to have more and it makes my wife think I am not planting as much if I spread it out. Haha

:welcome:    For hab heat or higher I'd say try Scotch bonnets, fatalii, bhuts, scorpions or 7 pots. In my experience, bonnets and fatalii have good heat and great flavour, and the bhuts, scorps and 7 pots have great flavour along with a lot more heat. For mild peppers similar to bells I've found Brazilian starfish and Bishop's crowns to have an awesome flavour, and very little heat. 
This is my first year growing from seed so can't say how long til they produce, but they definitely can produce more than once per season. 

Aji pineapple is a good one to have too. I haven't tried it, I've had the aji lemon drop which was very nice and I've heard good thing about the pineapple.

Welcome! My vote goes to the Bhut Jolokia's. I really like the flavour and am hoping to grow some to their full heat potential this upcoming year. The general rule of thumb is that the hotter the pepper the longer the grow time. The Bhut's are about 160 days to harvest. For comparison, this is about 100 days longer than a jalapeno.

From what I understand about growing in Texas, the long heat waves tend to cause you problems. The plants grow great, but tend to drop flowers until you get closer to the fall.

Neil

Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far!

so i have the chocolate habaneros seeds already, I think i will look for some jalapeno, scotch bonnet, fatalli and bhut jolokia seeds. can someone point me to a recommended source?

Growing so many different varieties, do you have to do anything different during the process for each type or do they all get treated the same?

With the different varieties, the hotter chinense types (scotch bonnet, fatalli & bhuts etc) can be harder to germinate and typically take longer to reach fruit than other types like cayenne. For a first year you are right to restrict the number, as many of us can testify on here its very easy to get carried away and then have your hands full. Try and grow at least a few plants of each type as you will probably find that some of the seedlings won't grow as well as others so you are covering yourself in the even that a few don't make it.

Sorry I can't help you with a source of seeds in the USA as I'm based in the UK, although there are some amazing places over here for a wide variety of types such as semillas.de and fatalli.net.

Good luck with the grow and have fun.

Hello from Weatherford! Where in the state are you? +1 on the Congos. Bahamian Goat and Bonda ma Jaques as well seem to do ok here.

For the most part, peppers can be treated the same. That said, you will need to stagger the times you sow your seed. Jalapeños grow fast and would quickly force you to raise your lights. This leaves your slower growing habs and jolokia's too far away and prone to stretching. Pay attention to the time to harvest dates otherwise you'll be scrambling to figure out how to get the slow growers close to the lights after you've raised them 2-3 x's to accommodate the faster growing ones. Another general rule of thumb is that the hotter Chinese tend to need extra calcium or you'll notice leaves curling up.

The main thing to take away from the above posts is that you can plant a bunch of different varieties, and if you ever have problems you can always come here and ask questions.

Chewi said:
Hello from Weatherford! Where in the state are you? +1 on the Congos. Bahamian Goat and Bonda ma Jaques as well seem to do ok here.

Hi Chewi, Im in Central Texas just outside of Austin.
motocross308 said:
try judy at pepperlover.com for atleast some of those.

thanks! I will take a look!
rebelgrower3 said:
Try Mike and Jen at buckeyepepper.com. Great people and a very good selection.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go there now!
Blister said:
For the most part, peppers can be treated the same. That said, you will need to stagger the times you sow your seed. Jalapeños grow fast and would quickly force you to raise your lights. This leaves your slower growing habs and jolokia's too far away and prone to stretching. Pay attention to the time to harvest dates otherwise you'll be scrambling to figure out how to get the slow growers close to the lights after you've raised them 2-3 x's to accommodate the faster growing ones. Another general rule of thumb is that the hotter Chinese tend to need extra calcium or you'll notice leaves curling up.

The main thing to take away from the above posts is that you can plant a bunch of different varieties, and if you ever have problems you can always come here and ask questions.

Thanks for this detail, Blister.  I didnt even think about some plants growing faster than others and needing the grow light raised while the others are still much smaller.  I'll do some research and stagger the planting times as recommended based on their growth rates. 

This site has been so helpful, thanks to everyone who's responded so far!

No problem Bomb Daddy. I made the mistake on my first grow. I had Jalapeños and Cayennes that were towering over all the rest and had to figure out how I was going to get the rest of the plants closer to the lights. In the end I had tall leggy plants that were stretching to grow towards the light. Oh well.Also make sure you have a small oscillating fan that you can put on the seedlings for 20 minutes a day or so. It'll help thicken up the stalks and help prevent mould.

Red Savina
Jonah 7-Pot
Scotch bonnet

My favorites for pods and powders. I mostly buy from Sicman and Judy (Pepperlover) cuz I cant grow anything except lawn. LOL

Back