• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Just Completed My First Ferment

In the almost-gallon of sauce that I made, there is 2 pounds of orange habaneros, about a pound of those giant jalapenos, a half-pound of serranos and about 8 poblanos. I added onion, garlic, a banana, and an apple. The sauce has a fantastic flavour but, is nowhere near hot enough and it is a little too salty. Next time, I will not remove the placentas. Plus, there will be hotter peppers in the mash and, more of them. I have been using a LOT MORE hot peppers lately. I would never have believed that my tolerance to hot peppers would have increased so much in such a short time (couple of months)! Maybe the fermenting process, the cooking or, the sweet stuff had a major impact on killing the heat somewhat? Whatever the cause of not being hot enough, it is a sure bet that I will be keeping more super-hots this year than I had originally planned on keeping. RocketMan's fermenting sticky is on-the-money perfect! He would probably have encouraged me to ferment a little longer than the 5-6 weeks that I did. If you've been reluctant to try a ferment, go for it. I think it's Shane who says "it's easy-peazy-fo-sheezy"!

Let me know how those superhots turn out! I can't wait to try making a sauce with something a bit more potent than habaneros and jalapenos. And ditto with the tolerance. I dashed Jimmy Scorpion sauce all over my burger today... and flushed my bottle of Tabasco Brand down the toilet.

Back