Just dipped my toe into LED's (not a DIY thread)

I use 15w red and blue for seedlings and then 45w red/blue for growing plants. I have buds,flowers, pods mature pods. Outdoors it still snow and very cold and little light, so I have to give credit to the LED´s... My biggest problem is that I don't have any more room at the moment.. And growing
Picture is of the 3x45w setup.
I also had a problem with sections that stopped working. I din however find out that it was an overheating problem, so I just fixed some more cooling on the controller chip located inside the panel (there is a small IC circuit controlling temperature) and the panel section came back to life...
Led.jpg

doh!

I forgot about the shipping charges and the Finnish VAT, which added another 80€. But here they are. I have yet to hook them up though. I haven't got any spare lamps even to test with. And they are definitely not small.

P1010713.jpg

P1010714.jpg

I'm thinking setting up two rows of 4, 1 blue 3 red in each. or 4 twos, 2 with 2 reds and 2 with 1 blue 1 red. what do you think?

Right, I've finally had a chance to test them, they seem pretty powerful.

Blue LED bulb - from the side
P1010725.jpg

Blue LED bulb - from below
P1010726.jpg

Blue LED bulb - from the side with habanero seedlings
P1010728.jpg

Blue LED bulb - from the side with habanero seedlings with bulb from a higher distance
P1010729.jpg

Red LED bulb - showing how far the light shines.
P1010733.jpg

Red LED bulb - from below
P1010732.jpg

Red LED bulb - from the side with habanero seedlings
P1010730.jpg

I also started work on making a 6 bulb hanging unit this weekend. I only realised it was going to be 6 after I got back from the shop with only 4 bulb fixtures. doh! and I arrived 5 minutes after closing when I went back to the shop.

It also got a bit expensive as I opted for the porcelain fixtures and nicer piece of wood (plus I had to buy 3 metres of the bloody stuff).

It all got a bit messy. With the lack of a workbench I had to use the dining table.
P1010716.jpg

The fixture setup...
P1010718.jpg

...and the current state of affairs...
P1010720.jpg

I hope to have it finished tomorrow at somepoint.

TBC.

Ah well at least this time they are being pro-active about replacing it. It may have been damaged in transit so I think we will be claiming it against the postage insurance. still... pain in the rectum.

It's finished. hoorah! The only step now is to get the replacement bulb(s). Well ad hang it.

P1010744.jpg

kinda like something out'a the F1.
P1010742.jpg

with the lights of, make the room have a very appealing purple...
P1010746.jpg

...and it has created a very nice aurora borealis
P1010747.jpg

I will hang it tomorrow and start the reports on the flowering.

Finally got it hanging and put the smaller chili types underneath (i need to raise it tomorrow to accommodate the larger ones)

Growing area without 250W Blue/White CFL on
P1010749.jpg

Growing area with the CFL on
P1010752.jpg

Closeup of plants with CFL on
Plant on the left is Numex Twighlight (that's what it said on the box, however it hasn't twighlighted for me yet, just plain green to red chilis)
Plant on the right is Hot Marbles
P1010753.jpg

Closeup of plants with CFL off
Plants left to right, Numex Twighlight, Hot Marbles, Aurora, Basil, Casbel (the seedling)
P1010755.jpg

but actually now 4 of the lights appear to not work as they should. However to their credit EarthLED is replacing them for free (as they should).

I took apart one of the broken LED bulbs to see what was inside...

P1010773.jpg

P1010771.jpg

P1010774.jpg

I'm slightly concerned with the build quality of the inside of the bulb. The fact that the electronic components aren't separated in anyway apart from being glued doesn't really promote the idea that these are sturdy bulbs. Whilst the 50,000 hours life span maybe signifying the lifespan of the individual LEDs one may take that statement to imply that the bulb as a whole should last that long too and having taken a look at the insides I am unsure if that would last that long (obviously dependent on use).

I think i may say the leds to put them to reuse with something.

Back