• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Just dipped my toe into LED's (not a DIY thread)

you did indeed, ut i thought these being not brought on ebay would have a better build quality. anyway i aired my concerns with earthled. we shall see if they repond to them

WHAT THE F*CK!!!!!

What is it with me and bloody bulbs!!!

I've got the replacements, and 2 out of the 4 replacements don't work. :banghead: :censored:

Even more unbelievable is that one of them actually fell apart when I took it out of the box. It acutally sounds like I'm making this all up now. EarthLED is now going to get a phone call instead of just emails.

Having just had Mark the sales guy return my phone call and offer to replace all the current bulbs with their next generation versions or their grow panels for free is very encouraging. It's quite rare you get a company go to such lengths to keep you happy, especially in comparison to the CFL company, whilst although friendly had bit of a crap policy on faulty bulbs. So whilst I am dubious about the build quality and lifetime of these bulbs I am looking forward to see what the next generation has to offer. He sending me the brochure shortly to look the specs for the new bulbs so I shall take a look and decide and let you know accordingly.

On another note the plants underneath the red bulbs are flowering so profusely I'm having a hard time pinching them all off the smaller plants. I will post some pictures in a bit.

looks like a technology that has potential........but unfortunately still has issues to be worked out.

Mainly heat issues I suspect. It looks as though the bulbs are getting hot enough to melt the soldering (+85° C).

No it's not heat issues, they run very cold, barely any temperature increase at all. I think it's because the inner circuit board came unstuck and short circuited when it touched the led board. All of the damage i believe is from the international delivery.

I've just received their 2009 catalogue and there seem to have some impressive new E27 led bulbs. they look better built but we shall see. not sure if i'm allowed to upload the images they sent but I know they have read this thread so I'm sure if i'm not i'll get asked to take it down

newearthled.jpg

I can't really understand why they bother building these lamps with loads of 5mm LEDs. They offer quite poor light output compared to the current 1 and 3 watt generations of LEDs out there, and they inherently have very poor thermal design. It'd be much simpler for them to build if they only had 10 or 15 high flux emitters and a CC driver!

Well as a person who builds his own LED lights, I gotta tell you standard LEDs (even the specialty ones) are A LOT cheaper than the Cree or other high-power/high-output LEDs. so yeah, not as effective, but a lot cheaper to make. I use both BTW.

For the number of 5mm LEDs you need to get the same radiant flux, the cost works out about the same. Factor in assembly costs when in production and there's no contest!

A guy who sells the lights told me it's not the size of the bulbs but the wattage that makes the difference: "13 watts of 10mm LEDs is
comparable to 13 watts of 3mm LEDs." Cree, using a 1mm x 1mm LED produced 173 lumens of light output and achieved 161 lumens per watt efficacy at a color temperature of 4689K.

Mike

wordwiz said:
A guy who sells the lights told me it's not the size of the bulbs but the wattage that makes the difference: "13 watts of 10mm LEDs is
comparable to 13 watts of 3mm LEDs." Cree, using a 1mm x 1mm LED produced 173 lumens of light output and achieved 161 lumens per watt efficacy at a color temperature of 4689K.

Mike
Nobody said the size makes a difference. it's all about the angle, efficiency and power.

Omri said:
Nobody said the size makes a difference. it's all about the angle, efficiency and power.

And measuring lumens is not significant to the actual amount of wavelenths outputted by the bulbs as has been discussed many times here. Lumens = measurement of visible light. (@wordwiz unless "achieved 161 lumens per watt efficacy at a color temperature of 4689K." this means lumens at visible light?)

Anyway here are the details of that particular bulb

LEDs: 0.067 x 180, Power PG Led
Power Consumption: 12 Watt
Wavelength: 430nm~440nm, 660nm, 670nm
Lamp angle: 170'

So you can use these bulbs from below, or hanging in the foliage, or from the top with a reflector and I'm guessing 180 leds with a reflector is enough for most hobbiest. This bulb is not aimed at pro greenhouses (from what I believe I am told), there is a further range of bulbs that I do not have the details of. That said there are some other high power bulbs available in the cataolgue I have been given and will post the pages of. Please bear in mind that this is not, to quote,
this is not the final catalogue rather it is our preview for distributors.

GrowLED2009New_sm-2.jpg

GrowLED2009New_sm-3.jpg

GrowLED2009New_sm-4.jpg

GrowLED2009New_sm-5.jpg

GrowLED2009New_sm-9.jpg

(They have spelt restaurant wrong, but again this is only a proof not final draft. And who am I to moan, my spelling is atrocious. If it wasn't for spell checks in textareas I would be unintelligible.)

@Omri love the new avatar.

I love the design of LEDefense M3 with the stiffened bendy cord as part of the bulb, I only wish this was part of their main design for the bulbs or at least an optional extra. Building fixtures is easy but finding a bendy fixable fixture isn't and would be very handy for targeting specific plants.

Bugged,

You do not need a reflector for LED lights. They are a focused beam.

A few months ago, I did some experiments using 14 watt LED panels over newly emerged tomato seedlings. One used a Red/Blue panel placed about 2" above the cotyledons. I was amazed to see a plant bend, at about a 60' angle, toward a specific bulb.

I really wanted to use LEDs but it would have cost me $300 to cover the area I was growing in. The cost for CFL was half that, the cost for sodium HID a bit above the cost of CFLs. True, over a few years, the LEDs would have paid for themselves, but I sometimes hesitate to buy green bananas!

Cost of electricity for one growing season (two months for seedlings):
LED - $36
CFL - $54
HID - $64

I'm not going to give up on LEDs - they are the light of the future. But I will wait until I can buy a 300 watt one for less than $500.

Mike

Bugged,

It would be wasted light, for the most part, at least IMO. I certainly would not pick it for a grow light, unless I was trying to grow two layers of plants with the top layer being upside down!

Mike

yeah but only on top down. as led light isn't very penetrating i do believe this bulb is specifically for underlighting / hanging in the foliage. I may be wrong of course but that seems the most sensible use for it

Back