• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Just started a new sauce

I just started a new sauce. I'm trying something different by adding blood orange juice and pulp. I really like the deep red color.

12 orange habs
2 Jalapenos
1/2 cup sweet onion
1 cup diced carrots
4 cloves of garlic
1 lime squeezed
1 blood orange, juice and pulp
1/2 cup white distilled
1/2 cup of water
2 TBSP kosher salt

Might add a little honey if I think the vinegar needs cutting.

It's on the stove now and I don't add the Habs until I run it through the food processor. I want them to retain their fresh taste.

I usually take out all the seeds of the Habs. I was thinking maybe leave half of them whole for more heat. Will this make a difference?

This is my 3rd batch of sauce I've made it the last couple weeks. Each one being slightly different. I usually stick to the typical Habs, carrot based sauces.

I too don't put the habs in until last as I run everything through my blender to liquify.

Next time replace the vinegar with lemon or lime juice. You can squeeze them fresh or buy lemon juice. When I switch out I usually replace with a 1:1.5 vinegar:lemon juice ratio. It is a little overkill, but when getting th pH down I prefer to go lower then not low enough. So, for the recipe take out the white vinegar and replace with 3/4 cup lemon juice. Not saying where the pH will end up without making it. The lemon juice will affect the flavor so a mix of the 2 is good if you want to keep that vinegar taste.

I make a Mandarin Orange / Habanero sauce, but never thought of blood oranges. I would suggest adding 1/4 C brown sugar. It will add a sweetness.

I too don't put the habs in until last as I run everything through my blender to liquify.

Next time replace the vinegar with lemon or lime juice. You can squeeze them fresh or buy lemon juice. When I switch out I usually replace with a 1:1.5 vinegar:lemon juice ratio. It is a little overkill, but when getting th pH down I prefer to go lower then not low enough. So, for the recipe take out the white vinegar and replace with 3/4 cup lemon juice. Not saying where the pH will end up without making it. The lemon juice will affect the flavor so a mix of the 2 is good if you want to keep that vinegar taste.

I make a Mandarin Orange / Habanero sauce, but never thought of blood oranges. I would suggest adding 1/4 C brown sugar. It will add a sweetness.

Thanks. It turned out pretty good. I agree on the vinegar. I did add some sugar at the end. Needs less salt and I don't really taste much if any of the blood orange. I plan on trying this again with 2 blood oranges, half the salt a little less onion. Half the vinegar or just lemon juice like you suggested.

Back