• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Justaguy's 2013 Garden Season

Coming from 2012
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27752-justaguys-2012-garden-season/page__st__300

Ok life has stabilized and I am finally getting this going.

Back on January 23rd I cleared the back 200
100_2071_zpsbc0ff717.jpg

Then checked on the germ tray I had set up.
100_2072_zps69244853.jpg

100_2073_zps9c1bc1bf.jpg

2 days ago I was going to drop seed in soil, but noticed a fuzzy mold on the soil. It was left over soil from last year. Never used but in it's bag apparently whatever started growing. I deftly removed 3 inches from the bag before getting the tray ready, however that didn't do the trick. I dumped it all and reloaded then let it get back up to temp.

Today I finally dropped seed and it felt so good. :silenced:

100_2075_zpse91f04d6.jpg

And instead of typing up a list I decided to go the easy route.
100_2078_zps6fddcbc5.jpg

Now the fun begins. I will be putting 95 in ground this year and around 30 in containers of some sort or size. I will have sprouts that will not get one of the available 216 cells that will need a home. I may be mailing some sprouts in tubes straight from the germination tray again this year.

Thanks for stopping by.

Well germination is going slowly. Been 20 days. UGH

After 12 days last year I was here
100_1550.jpg

Time will tell. As long as I end up with 25 Caribbean Red Habs and what I already have I will be happy.

Realized I let the germ bed get dry. flooded it and things are looking better. May be dropping more seed here this coming week. I know I need patience, but........

Apparently goggle maps update the local images this past year.
AerialShot_zps6e2d7efd.jpg

The tree out back got a lot of the hanging width take off this last fall(elevated it) which gives the Back 200 more sun. The split Spruce in the front is coming down next week after I call the tree service back. They are taking off and chipping/removing all the branches and leaving the trunks( :woohoo: more crackly fire wood)

OK well I have to get the camera out. I have had terrible germination, but the 90ish starts should hopefully do what is needed. The important bases have been covered.

I know I don't have a lot of viewers like Paul and Jamie just to name 2 of the many I enjoy, but I am hoping someone can enlighten me. I know I have seen people with this issue, but can not remember where.

I have helmet heads on 3 of the 5 currently popping in my germ bed which is drying off after a beginning of the grow flooding(my fault). I shallow started as always, although a little shallower this year. I have had and removed many helmets this year. Now though I have removed 3 to find shriveled cotyledons and I am at a loss. Is it from all the moisture or lack of? I have plenty of condensation on the top of the germination box. I just put them back on the heater after a week in the grow box under lights. That was an attempt to get more to pop and it was a fail. Any ideas on the shriveled cotyledons??????

Another great fail on my part is keeping track of a member that sent me seeds for Trinidad Scorpion Sweet. I am hoping that person is reading this and will get in touch.

In my limited experience, I've found helmet heads to be due to two different conditions. Planting too shallowly can lead to hh, but in this case the hulls are usually (relatively) easily removed with care and misting. In the second case, I am increasingly convinced (but not yet certain) that too-warm conditions can cause the tap root to pop before the cotys are ready to do their thing. This sounds like what you are dealing with, with the shriveled cotys. I've had high percentage success in removing the hulls from hh of the first type and very little success in removing the hulls from hh of the second type.

I concur with Patrick. I have had more germination with higher soil temps but more hH. Cooler soil less germination but fewer Helmets. But fewer pops. Hmmmmm. I would go with higher temps and slightly deeper planting with looser soil on top.

The helmet heads aren't my issue. I get them every year and have become quite adept at removing them. It is the shriveled cotyledons that concern me.

My guess brother would be lack of mosture. I am the king of overwatering my babies and never have never had that issue. I wish I knew more about indoor conditions but you know how I role .

Sorry to hear about the germ rates, but what you have looks great! I agree with Sawyer about the helmet head thing. I hadn't thought about it to the degree it seems that he has, but what he wrote makes sense to me.

Looks great Brian! Hope you have a great season!

Mike
Thanks. It is a ugly start compared to the last 2 years, but I have a feeling the plants will enjoy more personal space whether I wanted to give it to them or not.

agreed! looking good!
Thank you

Hey Brian, How big does the cumari du para get? I am growing one from the pods you sent. My guess is a big gangly bush?
Mine were both in containers last year. 1 of which was a 5 gallon bucket. Here it is in the dormant, hopefully not dead, leafless state in the basement.
100_2080_zpsc306641c.jpg

The bucket up frony is it. Only got about 18 inches tall and bushy. In ground I assume they will get bigger, but I got a nice sized, and slightly PITA, harvest.

you can only see a small portion of the flowers in that pic. the plant is covered in them, especially the bottom part under the bigger leaves.

should be producing soon.....

Back