• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Kahm Yeast Question

Hey pepper lovers, here's a quick question.  I'm on about my 12th ferment and I've never experienced it before but my new one has a Kahm Yeast invasion.  I know there's lots of info on this forum on this issue and that basically I need to scrape it off and don't worry about it....but I don't like it.  ha ha

Anyway, after scraping, can I add a tablespoon of salt directly on top of the ferment to stop it from coming back?  I also have a package of good bacteria that I could add in to kick up the ferment if that would help too.   That's the main question.

I have two theories on why it developed:

1. Too much head space (because I didn't have enough peppers)
2. I used a little hooch from my yogurt making (first time ever)

Anyway, quick advise is appreciated!  
KJ

hi!

Kahm Yeast isnt harmfull at all and can be scaped off easily with a stainless spoon ..it will eventualy grow back so you may want to chek it every now and then.

There is a few methods to slow down ..and in some rare case ..stop the grow of Kahm Yeast.

One of the best  method is to put your jar in the refrigerator but this will also slow down your fermentation greatly

Some other thing you could do is to add some lemon juice or vinegar in your jar and some people say to sprinkle some fin salt on the top of your ferment can help as well.

Personaly i just let it go and scrape it off every few days...as i said its not dangerous to do so but sometime  if there is a lot of it, it can give a yeasty taste to your ferment.
Acidic environement will always help prevent the grow of yeast ..also try to keep the headspace to maximum of 1/2 inch , if the level raise during the ferment just remove some brine , if the level drop you can add some spring water or some vinegar.

As for the yogourt hooch and nutrients i myself never used them and dont think i could help prevent or kill the yeast , i always do wild fermentation with only the brine and the bacteria that are already on the pepper ;) 

Hope this help a little bit.

have a nice day!

Edit: some part of the awnser assume you where fermenting peppers alone in brine but can also apply to sauce fermentation.

I've only done salt ferments so I'll comment from that experience. 

I had what others called kahm yeast too and I am happy to agree with that diagnosis.   :) See my post.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68076-mold/

This page also helped put my mind at ease,
http://www.fermentools.com/blog/what-is-kahm-yeast/

I also agree with berzerker's post above.  One hates to scrape and lose volume, but it need to happen sometimes.

Increasing salinity and refrigeration are the 2 methods I know of to slow or prevent it.  Personally I make a percentage solution of salt of your choosing and add that.  There by getting a little more water in there.  Also, you could toss in a few more bits of fresh chili to get it started again if fermentation drops off.  
If the salt taste can handle more salt then by all means increase that percentage a bit.  I just don't know how all that jibes with the yoghurt juice method.  

Presently with my batch which was sitting in 80-95° temps, is now in the fridge where I still see fermentation bubbling overnight.  I take it out during the day to help it get some more fermenting going on and put it back at night.  

Back