• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Katrina's Fatalii/7 Pot jelly

[video=youtube;tTO9hPJF-TE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTO9hPJF-TE[/video]

Really enjoyed this.

Presented in a 1/2 pint jar, seal intact. No label (but it's not a commercial product, so no worries there).

Jelly is a nice reddish yellow color.
Consistency is bang on.
You can see little bits of the 7 Pot pepper suspended in the body of the jelly, there were a few seeds visible at the top.

Smell: Vinegary smell is strong, almost smells a bit like malt vinegar. Nice whiff of the peppers, mostly the 7 Pot, if the Fatalii smell was there I didn't pick it up. Vinegar messes with my nose.

Taste: Delicious. While I couldn't smell a lot of fatalii, I could taste it. There's also a nice bit of the 7 Pot flavor. Fruity and sugary sweet, but not cloyingly so. Really nice pepper flavor here. The acidic bite of the vinegar balances the sweetness really really well. Like amazingly well. Beautiful balance.

Heat: If using an orange hab as a 10, I'd give this a 7 or 8. Hot but not overly hot, and the burn lasts only a few minutes before settling into a nice overall warmth. I'm writing this a bit over two hours after trying it, and there's none of that stomach cramping going on from eating straight pods. I wouldn't give this to someone who doesn't eat hot stuff ever, but if you can handle jalapenos on your nachos at the movie theater, this wouldn't be too far out of your comfort zone.

This jelly is delicious. I tried it straight and it was great. I tried it on some crackers and it was amazing with cream cheese.

Downsides: could be a wee bit hotter. The flavors are great, the jelly consistency is perfect, there's a great balance between the sweetness and the acidity, it's done well enough that more burn wouldn't throw off things enough to make it just another hot product.

Overall I'd give this a solid 8.5/10. If it were commercial, I'd say to buy it in a heartbeat. Really good stuff here.

Thanks again, Katrina, for letting me try this out. It was a pleasure.

Thank you very much for the awesome review... you did a great job!

You just made me want to go bust out a jar for myself!

I'll shoot you some more this summer after taking into consideration your constructive critique :)

heh, I probably ate a good third of the jar in the review, but I keep going back and getting "just one more spoonful" for the cream cheese and cracker thing. Good stuff.

Nice work, your jelly seems very yummy and an added bonus to the beer drinking table ...crackers cheese beer and Kats 7 pot jelly.

Katrina said:
Hey Scorp... drive over to Nova's and have some :)

You know if I was still on holidays...thats a doable mission....1000's of k's away but i'd do it for mission status and just for heck of it lol!

Hey Kat the Jelly and the sauce arrived today! Thankyou very much :) It will probably be about 4-5 days before i can get down to Hippies but be rest assured it will happen.

I had a sniff of the sauce and to my nose it smelt as if you included a little pumpkin in there, don't know if that is the case or not but it smells good. I will wait until the "test" to taste it.

:cheers:

EEEWWWWWW no pumpkin :)

So you sniffed it and didn't TASTE IT ?!?!? C'mon.................... tell the truth! ;)
Unfortunately in that batch there may be a few seeds that slipped past the food mill.

Fatalii
Kellogg's breakfast heirloom tomatoes
Vinegar
Lime juice
Black pepper
salt.
And if memory served there may be one or two RC Habs that made it into the entire batch as I had a few fresh ones left over from a red sauce I made.

As for an official review, you certainly don't have to do that as I don't market my stuff, I just wanted the opinion of some of you chili-heads on here.
This year everything will be in woozies and smacked with a label!

Enjoy the "Yellow Fever" :)

Novacastrian said:
Hey Kat the Jelly and the sauce arrived today! Thankyou very much It will probably be about 4-5 days before i can get down to Hippies but be rest assured it will happen.

I had a sniff of the sauce and to my nose it smelt as if you included a little pumpkin in there, don't know if that is the case or not but it smells good. I will wait until the "test" to taste it.

:cheers:

The sauce is in a jar too JayT. Yeah Kat my nose picked up some pumpkin scent!

Hippy has taught me not to taste sauces before "testing" them so you get an honest up-front opinion. I actually left them at work so i wouldn't be tempted :D

I actually detest pumpkin.....I wonder had you not seen the orange color, if you would have detected that same scent.

I see people attribute Smokey to dark tomatoes and peppers, and "lemon" to anything yellow and I always wonder if they tasted them in total darkness would they have the same impression.... just a tho't :)

I just passed the sauce around to three different people and they said thay they could not detect any pumpkin smell! Must just be my whack nose! :)

Back