• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking KC BBQ sauces anyone??

I see there really arent that many threads in here about sauces so I thought I would give some love to two of my favorite sauces that I get here in MO.

Being a KC Chiefs fan I go to games each year and get to sample the local BBQ joints and sauces they have to offer. I'm not as good at explaining foods as some, but I'll do my best.

My old school favorite for years has been Gates, it is a KC owned and operated restaraunt and has been a regular condiment at my house for a loong time. The easier to find for me of the two. It is a fairly thin sauce that does tend to fall off the meat if you put it on too thick, but the taste is excellent. It is a realy redish orange sauce with a fairly good amount of spice added in. Great on chicken, pork, burgers, brats, kabobs.

My new favorite over the last probably 5 years has been Jack Stacks, also a local own and operated joint. I think there are three locations around the downtown area, but you can find their sauce as far east as St. Louis. A darker sauce in color, it is similar to KC Masterpiece, a dark brown. Its much thicker than Gates and less spicy. It just has a nice mild smoky taste, not sweet, but not spicy. Great on damn near anything, I cant think of one thing I havent tried it on, really good on ribs with some garlic butter baste.

Even though KC Masterpiece seems to be the more world reknown version of KC sauces and its pretyy good, but these two absolutely kill it. I really only buy Masterpiece when I am running out of the other two and I'm in a pinch. All of these are available online, but I know from experience Jacks Stacks is very hefty on shipping.

Has anyone every tried any of these or any others? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I love a good BBQ sauce.

Nice To see you enjoying your Sauces and having the Joy of Decent restaurants selling quality spicy food..Lucky you..Your right Jack Stacks seems to be very very Expensive on shipping strange they charge so much..after your post i would really like to try them,Lets see if i can track sown a cheaper online retailer :rolleyes:

Went to KC and had both Gates and Jack Stack. Liked them both. just traded hot sauce for a bottle of Johhny's from Mission KS.

When I was in KC a few years ago someone drove me to a little 6 table place near one of the universities. I have not been able to figure out where I was or the name of the place but that BBQ sauce haunts my dreams like an ex-lover in leather chaps.

On BRATS???? That sounds like sacrelige to me, but OK, lol.

I can't say that I've had any KC sauces. I usually take some store bought sauce and add my own ingredients until it is good.

I take KC masterpiece and add half the vinegar from a jar of jalapenos, 2 tbsp of wholegrain mustard, garlic powder, hab powder, and onion powder.

YUM!

There are a few BBQ places here, but I prefer my own.

talas said:
Nice To see you enjoying your Sauces and having the Joy of Decent restaurants selling quality spicy food..Lucky you..Your right Jack Stacks seems to be very very Expensive on shipping strange they charge so much..after your post i would really like to try them,Lets see if i can track sown a cheaper online retailer :rolleyes:

Yeah the shipping from Jack Stacks is a ripoff, but they get people to pay I know. Whats really expensive is when you order their food and they send it to you sealed in a styrofoam cooler. :shocked:

I ordered a box of sauces a couple of years ago and I really hated to, with the shipping it came up to like 9 dollars a bottle, but I was out and not going back to KC for a while. :)

Both of these sauces offer a hot flavor too. Ive had the Gates version, its ok, but I prefer the original.

cheezydemon said:
On BRATS???? That sounds like sacrelige to me, but OK, lol.

Yeah, I put sauce on them sometimes, sometimes not. I think its sacrelige to cover a good sirloin with hot sauce and cook it, but some people do it anyway. :lol:

darthcarl said:
When I was in KC a few years ago someone drove me to a little 6 table place near one of the universities. I have not been able to figure out where I was or the name of the place but that BBQ sauce haunts my dreams like an ex-lover in leather chaps.

Was it Zarda's? Thats a sorta smaller local spot. They sell drive through or dine in BBQ. Other that them, I probably couldnt guess.

My favorite over the past few years has been Stubbs BBQ sauce. http://www.stubbsbbq.com/

There is also another one we have tried that I can't remember the name of but it is a pecan bbq sauce that is delicious...I will look when I get home today...

I always have a back up bottle of KC Masterpiece in the pantry for a generic starting sauce when I am playing with the BBQ...

Ive never been a big bbq sauce fan mind you theres alot out there ive never tried.. most of that store bought sauce to me tastes the same...There is a specialty store about 1-1/2 hrs from me i keep meaning to go to maby they will have something there I like

Back