• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Killed some Slugs Today!

Beer traps work:

img_6311.jpg

img_6312.jpg

img_6313.jpg

img_6314.jpg

But... but... all that wasted beer. :cry:

Hopefully it was some cheap macro-produced crap (looks like it). Just about anything Anheuser-Busch puts out and anything with "Milwaukee" in the name would make excellent candidates. Heh. Looks like it worked very well though. Nice catches.

I tend to go outside sometime around or after dawn with a flashlight, a stick (to move them off of any away from plants), and a canister of cheap iodized salt. It's very fun to watch their bodies react and basically melt apart. And very satisfying, when the bastard was just caught eating the leaves on one of my plants.

To answer ultra, first beer was bud light, 2nd was coors.

I keep forgetting to put egg shells around plants as slug preventers as well. Am mildly worried bout salt getting into the soil and harming plants, if I lay out salt traps.

there used to be an salt-impregnated "slug fence" like a 20 foot roll of vinyl 3 inches tall. we don't have slugs where we live now but over by Seattle we had mass amounts. I swore by that fence. Sorry I can't remember the name of it. It was brown with little white sprinkles on it if that helps :)

there used to be an salt-impregnated "slug fence" like a 20 foot roll of vinyl 3 inches tall. we don't have slugs where we live now but over by Seattle we had mass amounts. I swore by that fence. Sorry I can't remember the name of it. It was brown with little white sprinkles on it if that helps :)

Thought about using Meisterbrau, but the beer is so bad, I thought maybe the slugs would run away from it!
Heh, I doubt it... slugs would probably like anything. I never heard of Meisterbrau, though. I take it that's a good thing? Haha...

But one thing I have noticed is that fungus gnats, on the other hand... as much of a PITA as they can be around plants... they really do know a good beer. If I pour a glass of quality import or craft beer, they'll be there almost immediately; at times, when I know their population is relatively high, I'll grab a napkin to put over the glass before I even pop the lid. I've seen the bastards flying around the glass before I even have a chance to put the bottle down after pouring! It takes no time at all before I start seeing them, out of nowhere, flying in front of my face. Meanwhile, I can pour and drink several cans/bottles of mass-produced crap and they will rarely bother me...

I don't know if it's the fungus (yeast), the sugars/sweetness (from the malts), or both... but the bastards do have good taste in beer, I'll give 'em that.

When I was in college and poor, Old Milwalkee used to be the cheapest 6 pack, until we found Meisterbrau. It was cheap for a reason. It tasted like carbonated urine!

Back