• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

KingLeerUK's 2013 (first!) Glog - get these plants outside, stat!

Welcome to my first Glog for THP!  I did get a rather uneven and late start for growing this year but thankfully the season can run quite long in Florida so I still expect to have a good harvest.

Unlike last year, my grow has been done in fits and starts due to other competing activities for my time and some seed quality issues.  I've also done a few upgrades to my growing setup and I have some ongoing retrofit to my outdoor area that haven't even gotten started.  This post will serve as a quick catch up on 2013 so far, and hint at plans for the remainder of the year.

So, for the past 2 years I've done only very small chili grows for personal consumption and the occasional party salsa.  My growing setup was pretty simple, a DIY frame made out of schedule 40 1.25" PVC piping, some eye bolts and two T12 fluorescent fixtures as follows:

30k4ojr.jpg

This year having made the decision to go a fair bit bigger both in quantity and in grow list entries, I cut down the original configuration and rebuilt it as follows:

157bwk.jpg

This setup gives me bi-level growing area, with a pair of dual T8 lights for the top and the space to add an optional 3rd fixture on both levels if I need the extra lumens.

Here are a few detail images of the construction for anyone interested.

2z6z7e1.jpg

33ymcci.jpg

5v9rq.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I needed one to post the rest!

My initial growing attempts started back in March (which is late, I know) but all through January and February I had a bathroom DIY renovation ongoing and it completely slipped my mind to start seed germination.

My first round of germination was as follows:
  • Bhut Jolokias - seeds conserved from the prior year pods from my existing garden
  • NuMex Big Jim Jalapeños - Amazon seller
  • Trinidad Moruga Scorpion - Amazon seller
  • Jalapeño non-GMO regular - Lowe's
Every single one of the Bhuts I planted hooked and has gone on to be a healthy seedling.  Of the 10 Scorpions I planted, only ONE has made it to seedling stage which I attribute to poor seed quality.  The NuMex Big Jims (5) all sprouted and have gone on to be healthy seedlings.

Here are a few images of the current seedling sets.

jhsaj5.jpg

ego7b8.jpg

505gjm.jpg

2usfvxt.jpg

The one Trinidad Moruga Scorpion that sprouted:
34rsrq8.jpg

I planted the remainder of the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seeds (about 10) and of those, only 2 have hooked.  They don't look particularly healthy either.  I transplanted them from the peat pellets (never again) and I am giving them every possible chance to succeed.

abh9u.jpg

More than Just Chilis
Besides chili peppers, I'm also growing a number of heirloom tomato varieties from seed: Indigo Rose, Fiaschetto di Mand, and Pineapple.

f0wex.jpg

My second wave of planting happened just last week.  I'm rolling the dice again on Trinidad Scorpions (from a different seller) along with Golden Cayenne and Purple Jalapeños.

2ypcbrm.jpg

i3sxtz.jpg

Growing Preferences
I know everyone has "what works for them" and these are some of my go-tos for growing.
I like using the peat seedling trays filled with standard (no fertiliser) seedling mix.  I bake both the seedling trays and soil mix in the oven for 3 hours at 200'F to sterilise before planting.

I use tap water that has been left to sit open to air for at least 24 hours to let the chlorine escape.  I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I've been doing it for the past 2 years and it seems to work.

I usually pot up twice; once from the seedling peat pots to a 4" geranium style green pot (seen in photos above), then once more to a 6" pot before going outdoors a few weeks later.

I'm a big fan of worm castings for fertiliser, both mixing some pellets into the soil when potting up to 4" and 6" pots and mixing into water to give a dilute feeding every 2 weeks when the plants reach 3" tall.

Once plants go outside I will bury a tomato fertiliser spike in the bottom of the planting holes.

Watch this space for more updates!

My all-inclusive grow list for this year:

Central Florida Winter Survivors
  • Tabasco
  • Red Cayenne
  • White Lightning Habanero
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Cowhorn Pepper

First Round Planting
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
  • NuMex Big Jim Jalapeno
  • Jalapeno (non-GMO organic "regulars")

Second Round Planting
  • Golden Cayenne
  • Trinidad Scorpion
  • Purple Jalapenos

3rd Round Planting
  • Bishop's Crown
  • Yellow Scotch Bonnet
  • Devil's Tongue
  • Red Cayenne (a few more plants, these are daily eating)

Hey King, welcome to THP from the East side of Orlando. Have your plants had any time outside yet? When are you shooting for to plant out? Your plants are looking really good.

RocketMan said:
Hey King, welcome to THP from the East side of Orlando. Have your plants had any time outside yet? When are you shooting for to plant out? Your plants are looking really good.

My germination area is actually on an enclosed sunroom that gets morning sun in through the rear windows for the first 4 hours of the day, so these seedlings are already getting some "outdoor" exposure to both the light and the heat.  I like to wait until I've potted up to 6" pots (which might even be this weekend) and the plants have had 2-3 weeks in the larger size before moving them completely outdoors. I am actually expanding my outdoor space (doubling) in the next few weeks so the timing works out well.

East side Orlando? I'm in Winter Springs.

A tip for the frugal amongst us: make seedling and plant labels out of strips cut from spare vinyl vertical blinds.  A single 7' vertical pane can yield over 100 plant labels.  I cut mine using an old paper guillotine.  Sure beats $5+ for 50 at the big box stores.

As mentioned in the first post, I had several chilis survive the relatively mild Central Florida winter this year and after some heavy pruning in March they have rebounded with a vengeance.  Here are a few nighttime photos of these plants putting on pods.

I had 3 Bhut Jolokias survive and they are now having some of their pods start to turn colours.

2w3w7te.jpg

2e3zz3n.jpg

33nxpub.jpg

2yyoz12.jpg

My Tabasco plant did survive despite even the most optimistic expectations and is once again putting on pods.  I'm actually not a huge fan of tabasco in their raw form, slightly too bitter for me, and I don't have enough production to consider making fermented sauce.  Last year I used most of these pods as additional flavour for some garlic-pepper-vinegar mixes that I canned for holiday gifts.

k9xmj9.jpg

Now here is something to be excited about: Red Cayenne  These are easily one of my favourites and it's been a struggle to get by without them or with store bought.  After some aggressive pruning this plant has put on a riot of new pods and foliage.  I think I stopped counting at 40+ pods just on this one plant.

54zqfq.jpg

2vllfnk.jpg

Tomorrow I'm potting up all of my jalapeño seedlings from 4" to 6" pots along with almost all of my heirloom tomato seedlings.  I'm also putting Round 3 into seedling trays: Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Devil's Tongue, Bishop's Crown, additional Red Cayenne.

Also, if you're wondering about the nighttime shots I do a lot of my outdoor gardening after hours due to the light and heat.  A little bit odd I know, but it gives the neighbours something to talk about!  "Hey, the pale guy is doing the vampire gardening thing again."

I think I've had my first d'oh moment of the season.  My second round seed plantings have been on the back porch in the germination trays now for about 10 days.  Over the past week it's gotten progressively hotter.  I happened to be home mid-day yesterday and the soil temperature was reading 96'F in one of the trays.  Have I inadvertently cooked this batch of seeds?

Also, need a bump to add more photos.

This weekend I meant to pot up all of my chili and tomato plants, but Saturday was a non-garden day due to attending a mud run over near Tampa and the associated beating that puts on the body.  Sunday I did manage to get through the tomatoes and I took some photos along the way.

I use the same methods for potting up chilis.  Everything was in 4" pots and I was moving them up to 6".

Here a pineapple tomato is showing just the right amount of root bound to be potted up.

34eawhy.jpg

flkggg.jpg

My two go-tos for repotting are worm castings and this Lambert's potting mix that I get from Home Depot.  I actually like it because it doesn't appear to have any supplemental fertiliser in it allowing me to amend the mix to my own liking.

vzxvs.jpg

Completed heirloom tomatoes.

19ukip.jpg

Tonight I planted Round 3 of my chili seeds but neglected to take any photos of the process due to the late hour.  It is satisfying to finally have these sowed though: Devil's Tongue, Bishop's Crown, Yellow Scotch Bonnet and Red Cayenne.  I was also given some seeds for assorted Red and Yellow Habañeros and Kung Pao chilis and I had an extra germination tray sitting idle so those also went in.

I'm pleased to report that at least two of the Purple Jalapeño seeds have hooked as of this evening, so perhaps there is some hope for my semi-roasted Round 2 plantings after all.

Final (really) Grow List for 2013

In the Dirt
Bhut Jolokia (3)
White Lightning Habanero (2)
Cowhown Pepper (1)
Red Cayenne (1)
Tabasco (1)

Seedlings in 4" Pots
Bhut Jolokia (6)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (1)
NuMex Big Jim Jalapeno (7)
Regular Jalapeno (3)

Germination Trays
Golden Cayenne (15)
Trinidad Scorpion (20)
Purple Jalapeno (15)
Red Cayenne (5)
Bishop's Crown (10)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (15)
Habanero (15)
Kung Pao (10)

Other
Pineapple Tomatoes
Fiaschetto di Mand Tomatoes
Indigo Rose Tomatoes
Lemon Boy Tomatoes
Early Girl Tomato
Patio Tomato

2vttgfm.jpg

Photo evidence of Round 2 and Round 3 seed plantings - I have no idea how I'll have space for it all so there will probably be a lot of friends and family gifting after the seedlings are large enough to pot up.

adcb9v.jpg

Despite my concerns the Purple Jalapenos have shown themselves to be resilient against several days of 95'F+ soil temps and have nearly all hooked. This morning even one of the Golden Cayenne had come up.  Still no action at all on the Trinidad Scorpions (I did a test exhumation last night) so those are either taking a very long time to have any action, or will need to be re-sowed.

As you can see I've moved the germination station inside.  What you can't see is that there are 3 seedling heat mats underneath everything on the floor, and there is a steel shelf sitting over that giving about 1" distance between the mats and the bottom of the trays.  I put a towel over everything so that it cancels out any hotspots.  This is yielding soil temperatures right at 87'F which should be a sweet spot.

OMG another Floridian what’s THP coming to, hahaha only kidding mon, welcome from South FL. Great job on your grow rig, list and OW’s & pods \o/ Hope you have a bumper crop in 2013!!!

In the failing light of a Thursday evening I was able to get the first round of chili seedlings potted up to 6" pots.

n6dovr.jpg

Above, a Numex "Big Jim" jalapeno.

2l6vs.jpg

Here, a Ghost.

And finally, I moved everyone back under the grow lights for the evening:

5a24p2.jpg

Finally, the seeds that I had baked in the germination trays all last week at 95'F+ have made me more the fool.  After moving them indoors on a heat mat to stabilise their temperature at 87'F nearly every single Purple Jalapeno and Golden Cayenne has popped.  And as of this morning, about 8 of the 20 Trinidad Scorpions have also hooked.

2wg89dj.jpg

To close with some non-chili growing successes: the first tomatoes of the season:

24ya0io.jpg

Mammoth Russian Sunflowers to put along the back path:

4sfe9v.jpg

Back