labels Label Printing

Does anybody have a label maker/printer at home that they use and can recommend?

If not, any referral to some good label manufacturers, trying to make labels for hot sauces and spices!
Thanks in advance! 

The flat labels is what makes it look homemade. You'll want some coated paper like this: https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/weatherproof-gloss-inkjet-labels

An ink jet printer works good, laser uses toner and is not good. Many people think toner is better because it doesn't smear, but this is not correct. Pro labels use inks not toners. The paper is what locks them in. Just like printing a photograph at home on photo paper. Looks great right? Try a photo on a laser. Doo doo! So your printer is probably fine! What you need is a great design and the right paper. 

I use a color laser printer which works great. My printer may be a little pricey for what you're looking for. HP MFP M377dw – around $500. I used to use flat Avery waterproof shipping labels but have switched to standard 3 x 4 labels which is a third the cost. The paper quality doesn't look any different than what you might see on Frank's hot sauce or others. I believe your labels will look home made if you make them to look home made – and if you are small and unique I don't think there's anything wrong with that.. I am selling retail at four local delis and grocers. My second year of doing retail. I sold around 400 bottles last year and hope to double this year. This is just a fun hobby for me.

Never had luck with laser even high end. Only the $10,000 machines at Kinkos and even those don't look as good as getting offset printing (CMYK). Had great results with the company Minuteman Press here in NY.

I had a $2000 Dell Laser printer and my Ink jet printed much better photos....Ink and good quality paper will make your labels pop better than laser.....I think laser is great for high speed printing of multiple copies of things ....flyers, brochures and small catalogue's.

I've been screen printing them onto vinyl, not sure if anyone else here does this.  Obviously it helps if you already have the setup, but I've had no issues with ink running and I can pick any ink color, base color or vinyl finish I want this way.  

The Hot Pepper said:
The flat labels is what makes it look homemade. You'll want some coated paper like this: https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/weatherproof-gloss-inkjet-labels

An ink jet printer works good, laser uses toner and is not good. Many people think toner is better because it doesn't smear, but this is not correct. Pro labels use inks not toners. The paper is what locks them in. Just like printing a photograph at home on photo paper. Looks great right? Try a photo on a laser. Doo doo! So your printer is probably fine! What you need is a great design and the right paper. 

So Boss, now that you made me think about using the correct paper, you got me thinking about the ink. Is there a difference there? Is the ink cartridges you get from the generic bulk ink store just as good as the manufacturer"s ink, or is there some kind of special stuff to use there too?

The next printer I get I will be looking into the ink wells (reservoir-based), where you refill yourself and there are no cartridges.
Canon Mega Tanks, Epson EcoTanks, and Brother INKvestments. Although I despise my current Brother!

office_space_printer.gif

There's also "supertank" type printers with large cartridges that are cost effective. But NOPE to the convectional cartridge. 

The Hot Pepper said:
The next printer I get I will be looking into the ink wells (reservoir-based), where you refill yourself and there are no cartridges.
Canon Mega Tanks, Epson EcoTanks, and Brother INKvestments. Although I despise my current Brother!

There's also "supertank" type printers with large cartridges that are cost effective. But NOPE to the convectional cartridge. 

In MX, we all use p1r4t3 cartridges  :rolleyes:  For M$1000 (~US$50), you can have 1L of each C, M, Y and black delivered at your doorstep.

The Hot Pepper said:
Do you already have a printer?

The Hot Pepper said:

attachicon.gif
office_space_printer.gif

Yepper, but not a reservoir type. I moved to the throw-away printer philosophy. Current model is a WallyWorld Black Friday  $40 Dell. Been very happy with it - prints very nicely.

Add I agree, my next printer will be a reservoir as well.

Oh. Well yeah I think aftermarket ink should be fine unless you get ripped off by some amazon scam and it's not even ink or something lol. Personally I like to trust name brands when it comes to such things, and I never trust the refilled carts. 

Back