• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc ladybug carnage!!! aphids gone, white flies remain (f them too)

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
[SIZE=10.5pt]I released 3,000 ladybugs on 400 plants and sorry but it did not help me. I think that over 4 weeks I had sprayed too much on the plants trying to kill or get the aphids under control and when I released the ladybugs the residual left overs on the leaves killed the lady bugs. I just killed all my plants and started over. No OW ever for me again it’s not worth it. And the OW weren’t even mine I was doing a favor for a co-worker and it costs me 400 plants.[/SIZE]
I,m with you. Anything grown outside does not come inside ever again. I lost 800 super hots a couple years ago because of one overwintered plant. I have 2 much growing goin on inside to worry about that again.  It was my own fault though, I got lazy and did not wash roots and repot before I brought it in.

ok so this is late but I took these pics yesterday, so the ladybugs had about 48 ours to work.
Aside from the ones do this VVV, they seemed to do a good job. I saw no aphids...
oPjByAo.jpg
\

A lot were apparently depressed and killed themselves immediately, or maybe they arrived dead, either way...
LigYEa8.jpg

No aphids anywhere that I saw, but some white flies still.
xa1QUAu.jpg

PIGFLU1.jpg

KgLa60S.jpg

But still some white flies.
Epr5Z9K.jpg

They seem to be eating the white flies now, guess maybe they preferred aphids and ate them up first. I'll post pics from today soon

Reactions: ebh
Brought a bunch indoors this fall---no bugz.
Of course, I gave them a spray top, under, bottom and all around with pyretherin.
Let them sit a day  and hosed them off before bringing them in.

They were pi$$ed off about it, but recovered in a week or so, and no winter bug war this year.

dash 2 said:
I'm gonna watch the hell out of this.  :high:  (I couldn't find the emoticon of the little dude eating popcorn, so I'll do this instead.)
     I know ladybugs (adults, at least) tend to stay put if the plants they're on are wet. Have you thought about occasionally misting your plants with water to encourage them to hang around longer?
I meant to mention that I misted the plants and the ladies seemed to love that
Gotrox said:
Brought a bunch indoors this fall---no bugz.
Of course, I gave them a spray top, under, bottom and all around with pyretherin.
Let them sit a day  and hosed them off before bringing them in.

They were pi$$ed off about it, but recovered in a week or so, and no winter bug war this year.
Mine are in the garage, stuff seems to get in easily

From what I have experienced they will eat the white flies too.. They killed the aphids fast didn't they? :D they are my go to for aphid problems. Love em!

Back