• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Ladybugs everywhere!

:woohoo: Was just out back moving my plants out of the sun as they are still being hardened off and what do my eyes see? Ladybugs EVERYWHERE! All over my plum tree and also on some of the pepper plants! Very happy to see that! :D

Cool. :) If I walked outside, my thoughts would be different depending on whether they're the "normal" (local) ladybugs or those damn, wretched Japanese (orange) ones that have been getting inside every fall for the last several years...

As long as the little guys eat all the pests I could care less what color they are. I prefer local ones but ya know...I'm not racist! :rofl:

Oh yeah. The Japanese ones definitely do eat the pests. I've read that they're at least as good at, or possibly better than, the native red ones. That's apparently why several attempts have been made to bring the little bastards into the US. But what drives me nuts is how every fall they start coming inside. IMO, they're just annoying pests (at least during fall and winter). They can get to be about as annoying as houseflies.

What's funny is that my mom was trying to tell me I should "watch out the orange ones bite" :rolleyes: I told her not to worry that I wasn't scared and they were still welcome here. :crazy:

My mom likes to bust my chops every now and again! ;)

Yeah, those are asian lady beetles/bugs. The off colored ones are extremely common here to, and like said above they're insane around the fall here. But, they cause no harm and still eat aphids so I cant complain really.

Everywhere like this?

LadybugsDragonboatHula011.jpg

Or like this?

LadybugsDragonboatHula086-1.jpg

And this!

LadybugsDragonboatHula022.jpg

capsidadburn said:
Everywhere like this?

Very cool pics!!! And yes...just like that although the ladybugs are much smaller right now and haven't developed the black spots just yet. They are still about 1/2 the size of the ones you have pictured. Congrats to you on your bounty of aphid killers! :cool:

Wow how lucky. I actually went out and bought a few hundred on Sunday since I noticed some on my peppers and basil plants. Not a bad infection, but why wait when they only cost $5.00 and the local hardware store sells them.

Back