• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lame! Disease or virus? (Pix)

A few days ago I noticed my white bullet hab at the front of the house dropped a ton of leaves in a short amount of time. They were pretty green and it seemed to be a healthy plant, now it's all jacked up- below is a pic from a few days ago-
IMG_2912.jpg

Now a couple from today-
IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

Now an Aji Limon has developed the same symptoms-
IMG_2938.jpg

Leaves have a sort of brown spotting/mottled discoloration and seems like a tissue thinning/breakdown sorta thing. I'll post a few closeups following this first post.

Looking for any input- is it some sort of fungeous disease,a blight or mosaic? Never have encountered this in my past ten years of growing here.

To top it off- my favorite Bhut and a Choco Hab look like they may be coming down with it too. They were right by the Aji. Major drag. Already drinking heavily this morning and got to head out soon to do some thing w/the in laws. This is gonna be a really bad day.

I appreciate your input and will check in tonight- any thing I can do? Already quarantined the jackedup plants and will dispose of if I have to.

peppermanbaha said:
that doesnt look to good.

Nope! Slash and burn is gonna be the order of the day. I just want to know what it is and if I can stop it somehow from affecting other plants.

Might be a bad garden year. Guess I'll have to say F it and skate and fish more this summer.

Hmmmm as far as I know, about the only diseases you have to worry about with peppers as far as something that will kill them is a bacteria or a virus. I believe Erwinia is the genus of the bacterium, and pretty much any virus that will get a tomato will do the same to pepper. I'm not sure about your plants, as I can't tell without having them in front of me. If its a virus, there ain't much you can do, other than try not to pet your plants. Touch them as little as possible, and try to touch affected plants last when watering. Powdered milk solutions and 10% bleach can be used to sterilize any equipment that touches your plants.

If it's a bacteria, definitely maitain proper hygene as above, but leave off the milk. For a preventative measure against bacteria, you can spray copper available at your local nursery or ag supply joint. You can find organic copper sprays as well if you're trying to go that route.

Sorry bout that man. Wish I could help more. Like I said, I'm no expert on this stuff, but I work with people who know their shit. Without having the plant in front of me, I can't tell you what's wong. It may even be a nutrient deficiency.

Have you had excessive or heavy rain lately? I got something simialr when we were superwet earlier this year. You could see right through the damaged leaves.
Otherwise - definitely separate the plants somehow if you can.

S6307850.jpg

Yeah, I got to track down some organic style copper spray Fivestar.

And no excessive rain here Carol- I think normal annual average rainfall is like 8"- and we've been short of that more often than not over the past decade. Haven't been overwatering that I know of either. Purposely triying not to anyway. I've been guilty of that before though.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to look, Bout

Hotpeppa said:
i think its just a bit of sun scald...

but could be wrong...

I have similar looking leaves, not much leaf drop though. I'm going with this vote as well. Mostly, I have noticed it on days POST NEEMING. I'm not sure how to address this myself cause I have a few leaves that show the same symptoms and I have noticed those symptoms right after being sprayed. I suspect the water/spray on the leaves, or the fresh residue of, is making the plants more susceptible to sun burn. I'll take a break on the neeming and soaping and see if the symptoms die down.

More thinking makes me think chemical burn...it's neem build up

This picture in particular is what makes me think chemical burn. It's clearly the residue left after a puddle of spray dried out. If it were from a bubble of water being hit by the sun and the magnified light burning a spot, the spot would be in the middle. Since it's a ring shape I conclude that it must be neem residue that concentrated, and so burned the leaf. I have other plants starting to yellow and the bottom leaves are starting to drop. Gonna give neem a break at least for the weekend...

3623163385_6f531fc095.jpg

Whatever the deal is, I've got them far away down in the canyon now. Treating them like ebola, too much other stuff on the line.

Diablo said:
Are you using neem boutros? If so perhaps the mix is strong?

The plants in question weren't neemed much. They were very healthy. I only spray when absolutely necessary. Although there's been no leaf drop, the Aji in particular went downhill fast.

Thanks Patrick. Could be. So far the plants in question come from one area. Got a pretty good size place, so I hope "it" stays in the small area they were. Everything there's done to me now. I'm not doing any work there and then say moving around elsewhere on the property. Hope that helps. The plants were also in a sorta sheltered place- maybe airflow let somethin' settle in?

Our elementary school garden has 6 raised garden beds. One of which ALWAYS gets diseases on its pepper plants. We can tell when it is going to occur because the leaves start to look brown and spotted (a type of mosaic virus maybe?). The branches eventually turn brown and snap off very easily.

I'm not saying that is going to happen to your plants, but it doesn't look good.

Here is a link that might help you.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/IPM/english/peppers/diseases-and-disorders/index.html

If I can get down to school (we're on vacation) to get some pictures I'll post what I mean. A few days ago I saw that one cayenne pepper was starting to rot/get diseased/whatever. Once the leaves on ours start turning brown we yank it.

Best of luck to you.

dude if i was you i will pick all th eold leafs to stop the spread of the virous pick all the infected leafs and throwwww em away so ur plants give new fresh healthy leafs

Did a search for blight and saw this old thread and figured I'd add more crap to it. It's been a crappy year here for random diseases.

Is this blight? I've lost some fruit to it. Here's a Joe E Parker-

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

Had some of this and some Bacterial Leaf Spot in the lower yard.

this is prob on eof the worst parts of growing. i had the same thing happen to a few of my plants lately as well. started on my bannana pepper spread to my paprika and anaheim and white bullet angkor sunrise(tabasco). killed bannana and kalosca paprika, anaheim is hanging in theyre not very well.
the angkor, got the mosaic real bad but i neemed it once and safe soap, dolomite epsom, now all my new leaf growth is dark green and looking good gonna pull the old leaves off soon. my white bullet was getting very very close to its demise but after two weeks of intensive care i think i pulled it off and shes back on track i transplanted it into a bigger pot two days later im seeing new leaf growth not curled looking flat. and much flowers comin up too. isolating the infected plants def a must for me now. but i have seemed to reverse this virus or bacteria not sure which one. i just have a hard time chopping a plant down. now that theyre are pods and flowers my girlfriend has been checking on the plants alot. she like to pet them, and i didnt realize this. prob how it got spread soo fast. she knows now. anyways hope it all works out good for u boutros!

Back