• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

movies Lampoon's Christmas vacation vs A Christmas Story

My wife and I were having this heated debate yesterday. She grew up watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. She can't stand A Christmas Story and neither can her parents. I, on the other hand, have always watched A Christmas Story as far back as I can remember. I honestly can't stand the other, but I am forced to watch it. I struggle through it only so I can watch my wife struggle through Christmas Story lol.

So which one did you grow up watching (if either)

I do like Christmas Story, but Christmas Vacation is tops in my book.

I've easily seen it more times than any other movie. It just never gets old.

There are a few others that are very enjoyable that I look for annually. "Scrooged" is one. The Jim Carrey version of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" is great. "The Santa Clause" with Tim Allen was pretty creative, but the sequels sucked horribly. "Elf" is another classic, so are the first and second "Home Alone" movies.

But Christmas Vacation stands above all.

I refuse to choose!

I would put on Vacation first, then immediately watch the Story.
(But it's been longer since I have seen the vacation).

That was a tough one. But A Christmas Story is by far my most favorite movie ever. Has been since I was a kid. Christmas Vacation is amazingly hilarious tho for sure. "Fixed the newel post" lol!

I have to vote "Christmas Story".  My favorite scene { because this was my dad with our coal furnace in the '50 s! }

"Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man. 
Mr. Parker: That son of a bitch would freeze up in the middle of summer on the equator! 
Mother: Little pitchers! 
Mr. Parker: Thanks... hold it! 
[the furnace conks out
Mr. Parker: It's a clinker! That blasted stupid furnace dadgummit! 
[he walks down a few stairs and falls the rest of the way down
Mr. Parker: Damn skates! 
[coughing
Mr. Parker: Oh, for cripes sake, open up the damper will ya? Who the hell turned it all the way down? AGAIN! Oh, blast it! 
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan. "

I can't believe I'm the only one who vote "Grinch and hates 'em all"!  I'm not really a Grinch, :lol:  I was just being funny~  

It's been so long since I've seen either, but I'd have to go with Vacation.  It just has the staying power that Home Alone, Elf and others don't have.  OH!  And "Bad Santa" another funny one.  I can't watch too many of the Hallmark-style stories,  gotta go for the levity.   

huh?  OOPS!  guess I haven't seen that one!  What's the old classic B&W one? 

NEVERMIND!   "It's a Wonderful Life"-

so- based on that I've never seen Christmas Story.... can I change my vote to Vacation????

salsalady said:

so- based on that I've never seen Christmas Story.... can I change my vote to Vacation????

Lol, you have to watch A Christmas Story.

salsalady said:

its a wonderful life - is still a decent movie

I'm surprised you've never seen "Christmas story'"  with ralphy getting the boot from santa down the slide...and asking for a red ryder BB gun (to parents & santa) them saying "you'll shoot your eye out"

some cable TV stations have played it over and over on Christmas day

coheed196 said:
Lol, you have to watch A Christmas Story.

Ditto!

dareya.png

xmas_stroy.jpg

I grew up watching and loving both.  But if I had to choose, Vacation edges it out, just something about Randy Quaid emptying the trailer septic into the storm drain and yelling "shitter's full!"  Makes me laugh every time.

"Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"
:rofl:

Christmas Vacation all the way!

Back