LAND OF THE GIANTS 2017 - Biggest Bonnet Competition

stickman said:
Good job Simmie, you've got me beat!

It looks like my final entry will be the Aug 30th post Dennis. The weather here is cooling off and the rest will be smaller.

Great effort from everybody on both sides of the pond. [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Really interesting, I've noted plants in the past seem to chuck out massive final pods as the weather cools (desperate survival bid?), perhaps something to do with local conditions but I'll certainly be monitoring very closely from hereon in!

EDIT: Maybe this has something to do with growing under glass Vs outdoor growing prolonging the viable season.

dennish said:
Really interesting, I've noted plants in the past seem to chuck out massive final pods as the weather cools (desperate survival bid?), perhaps something to do with local conditions but I'll certainly be monitoring very closely from hereon in!

EDIT: Maybe this has something to do with growing under glass Vs outdoor growing prolonging the viable season.

Y'know... I don't know  how you predicted it but when I was picking pods this morning I found these pods hiding under some leaves. I'm always surprised by the growth habit of the MoA Bonnets... short, with a dense leaf canopy.
0909171035.jpg
0909171038.jpg

26g + 14.2cm + score 40.2

Runner-up
0909171059a.jpg
0909171059.jpg

23g + 15.4cm + score 38.4

Cheers!

BSH said:
I really thought I had a contender but after weighing 7 pods, this is my best one. I was at work so I wrote the weight and girth on drug labels lol.
8223155fdf05c22889fd3815eaac509d.jpg

ac63e4d1e68a42ac51b61b8d33bc5419.jpg

d6c5894ce0e229cc90642250de814330.jpg

15cm + 18g= 33g.

You're doing great for as far north as you are, and with the crazy summer we've had this year Brandon!

stickman said:

You're doing great for as far north as you are, and with the crazy summer we've had this year Brandon!

Thank you for the kind words Rick.  This has been the weirdest summer ever - crazy hot in June with long days and then July on was dark and rainy.  Started out with massive pods on every plant, then got nothing but off phenotype runts everywhere.  Now it's fall weather and nothing will ripen, just plants loaded down with green pods.  Very unusual and frustrating but what can you do?  Last summer was so hot that I had an insane amount of flower drop...nights in the high 80's for months.  Maybe next year will be better (I've said that every year for a while now lol). 

Heh... All you can do is what you can, eh? Chuck in Colorado has been dealing with heat like your last summer but as he lives up near the continental divide, he gets the added complexity of a short growing season and high UV on sunny days.

stickman said:

Wow! Nice pods Al! :thumbsup:   where are you located generally?

You may beat this, but it won't be easy...
attachicon.gif
0911170746.jpg
attachicon.gif
0911170748.jpg

16.4cm + 28g = score 44.4 :)
Cheers!

Eastern Midwest, Zone 6A.

That one is a monster, for sure.

I was just out looking at the M.O.A.s, and saw one that might be close to 18 cm, but it is kind of short and stumpy, so I doubt the weight is there.

Anyway, you have some excellent pods going on.

alkhall said:

Eastern Midwest, Zone 6A.

That one is a monster, for sure.

I was just out looking at the M.O.A.s, and saw one that might be close to 18 cm, but it is kind of short and stumpy, so I doubt the weight is there.

Anyway, you have some excellent pods going on.

As do you Al... Keep up the good work! [emoji2]

My bonnets are not producing anything like the great
pods I see here. Lots of strange phenotypes, and the
pods that look sort of like Scotch Bonnets are small. If
the Fall season is good, there are some nicely shaped
small to medium green pods still hanging on.

Here's a sampling of the pods on one plant. Some
Look like more like the pods on my Scorpions :
IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

PaulG said:

attachicon.gif
IMG_5839.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_5841.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_5842.JPG
Gee Paul, that's disappointing, but at least you have ripe pods at the und of the season.

Like Al, my pods are getting smaller as the days get shorter. The leaves on some of the hardwoods are starting to turn here and it looks like our first frost will be coming on schedule around Columbus Day weekend.

Any chance of a leaderboard update Dennis? How are the folks over at Chiles Galore doing with the challenge?

PaulG said:

I had the same problem. All my SB's lacked that typical bonnet shape. It was probably because of the extremely hot weather or something because I did order MOA seeds. 

b3rnd said:

I had the same problem. All my SB's lacked that typical bonnet shape. It was probably because of the extremely hot weather or something because I did order MOA seeds. 
I agree, Bernd. The chilis just do not seem to like
those 100˚F (38˚C) temps   :hmm:    

I am hoping that more of nicely shaped pods will
ripen up before cold weather sets in.

Here are some pods I harvested yesterday.  The pods in
each pic are from the same plant.  As you can see, one
of the plants (in the hottest full sun; there goes my theory  :think:)
set lots of close-to-true phenotypes.
IMG_5843.JPG

These look more like Scorpions!
IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG

Unfortunately, they are too small to be contenders,
but I'm hoping for a couple of larger, still green pods
to bail me out

Mine looked almost exactly like the ones in your first picture. I still think it's the heat, maybe root temperature? Could be that your full-sun plant was in a bigger pot?

Some of those elongated ones almost look like Lemon Drops or Aji Amarillo's or something. Weird stuff. Almost hard to believe they come from the same plant.

Another 'small' harvest:
D8AC1CE7-FAE6-49D3-8DBF-144299292456.jpeg

A tiny increase in my score. I cant believe how
heavy some of the pods on here are! Good job,
guys!
655B7805-1EF8-4EFC-BD96-73C38A3EAC13.jpeg

5" x 2.54 cm/in = 12.7 cm
35918E08-7D3D-4B52-B207-FD52B0CDFA0C.jpeg

15.625 grams

New score: 28.325

Darn it.  Can't seem to break the 30 barrier!

Really wanted to be part of this competition however the plant in the polytunnel crossed and produced red pods .. isolated in my Growtent two plants have produced from seed true yellow pods although small ... so here is my contender representing the UK ....

0bf66420d2fb27ecfeb938c1a0d33a5d.jpg

311021a941c6d917096460c06bd7f27f.jpg

Sorry Dennis best I could do ... I will let you decide if it's worthy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back